Getting the most out of my Solo - Upgrades?

Reaction score
So I just got my solo a few weeks ago and have really liked it a lot. A huge step up from my old Phantom 1. That thing was scary to fly.

I plan to take some aerial (video) shots in Iceland in a couple of weeks. Iceland is a great place for Aerials, but it can also be a bit windy... just a bit. :)

I am also shooting with a modded GoPro with a 5.4mm lens attached. So it's almost twice the focal length of the stock lens. I have noticed that even with little wind, I get some micro jitters in my footage. So far, I have been able to smooth that out with warp stabilize pretty well. However, I am wanting to get my Solo running as smooth as possible before my trip so that I can squeeze the absolute best footage possible out of it.

So my question is this: What can I do to get it running as smooth as possible?

I just balanced my gimbal yesterday.

I just bought a prop balancer also, so there's that.

Should I mess with balancing the motors?

Are there any aftermarket props that could help with stabilization, and perhaps even increase flight time just a bit?

Any other tips and tricks that I might not know. I've done a good bit of reading through this forums and others, but I might have missed something.

Any feedback would be most appreciated. :)

Saw your video and am wondering if the lens is magnifying the jitters. Hopefully someone else with the same lens will chime in.

There are threads here that talk about all the jittering and jello issues.

It wouldn't hurt to remove the GPS cover (in front of the battery) and the battery tray. That way you can look at the HDMI cable to the gimbal. Make sure it's not rubbing or putting pressure on the gimbal. This has been the source of a lot of aggravation.

Be really careful removing the small screws. They were installed with blue Loctite and can be difficult to remove.

(To remove GPS cover, pop up 2 clips on edge next to battery and slide forward.)

Saw your video and am wondering if the lens is magnifying the jitters. Hopefully someone else with the same lens will chime in.

There are threads here that talk about all the jittering and jello issues.

It wouldn't hurt to remove the GPS cover (in front of the battery) and the battery tray. That way you can look at the HDMI cable to the gimbal. Make sure it's not rubbing or putting pressure on the gimbal. This has been the source of a lot of aggravation.

Be really careful removing the small screws. They were installed with blue Loctite and can be difficult to remove.

(To remove GPS cover, pop up 2 clips on edge next to battery and slide forward.)

Awesome! Thanks. I will check that out.

Yes, the lens is definitely magnifying the jitters. I like the look of the long focal length, but it shows everything. Can't hide those little shakes like a fisheye can.

Awesome! Thanks. I will check that out.

Yes, the lens is definitely magnifying the jitters. I like the look of the long focal length, but it shows everything. Can't hide those little shakes like a fisheye can.
Good luck- Let us know what you find out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig