General Help

Reaction score
Hi, I have several questions.
1. What exactly is the green cube?
2. What is arducopter?
3. What benefits do these things (and solex) offer as opposed to the stock versions (besides continued support)?

Also, on an unrelated note.... does anyone know when I can get a hard solo case for a decent price? I was thinking one that you could stick the foam inserts from the box it comes in into it.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: mihamil
For the case, my father had an idea to coat the outside of the cardboard inserts with spray in bedliner to make the outside hard and durable. I didn't try it, but it could work if you want to give it a shot.

For the other questions, I've dedicated some time to simply searching through enough posts to figure it out the best I can. I haven't gotten there yet, so I don't have an answer for you, but maybe one day I will succeed. I've come across a lot of other useful information on my journey though, so it was worth it. :)

Reactions: xman4242 and skyhax
The green cube is the newest version hardware for solos flight controller
The stock solo pixhawk 2 is fine, but it is stuck on a fork of older arducopter code the prohibits further development. It can be extended with Solex a 3dr solo app replacement with a lot more features.
Also the stock cube and firmware has a software patch that addresses an ESC problem that can on rare occasions cause the solo to fail and crash
The green cube and arducopter solves that problem properly in hardware

Arducopter, or ardupilot is the firmware that runs the pixhawk. With the green cube you can run the current and future versions of the firmware. Current version is 3.5. It has boat mode, throw mode, and makes it possible to add optical flow and avoidance hardware, plus rtk gps and long distance radios

The stock solo pixhawk 2 is fine, but it is stuck on a fork of older arducopter code the prohibits further development. It can be extended with Solex a 3dr solo app replacement with a lot more features.
Also the stock cube and firmware has a software patch that addresses an ESC problem that can on rare occasions cause the solo to fail and crash

Arducopter, or ardupilot is the firmware that runs the pixhawk. With the green cube you can run the current and future versions of the firmware. Current version is 3.5. It has boat mode, throw mode, and makes it possible to add optical flow and avoidance hardware, plus rtk gps and long distance radios
Thanks pyrate. What specifically can the solex app do? Also, must I have solex to use the green cube?

No you don't have to have solex to use the green cube, but solex will make loading it much easier.
the two guys that made the green cube master readily available are doing cool things with solex's firmware update. Including patches for the Here GPS and Retractable Landing gear by IMP

No you don't have to have solex to use the green cube, but solex will make loading it much easier.
the two guys that made the green cube master readily available are doing cool things with solex's firmware update. Including patches for the Here GPS and Retractable Landing gear by IMP
Thanks. Do I need solex or green cube for the here? Also, are any devs for either on the forums?

nope you can do the here alone, just need the cable
Yes Kelly is the Solex developer he hangs out here, and Peddals is the master ardu guru

All that searching to piece together the puzzle and pyrate just lays it out for me. Almost makes me sad, it's like a movie that ended too soon.

I spend way too much time on this stuff.
But I got solo bit, and when I finally figured out solo I departed on a DIY build.
And here I am, with lots of information from years of reading forums.
But I am having fun, which is the only prerequisite I have in life for doing anything

Can solex control every aspect of the GoPro from the app?

Can solex control every aspect of the GoPro from the app?

Same level of control as the stock Solo app. Enough control to switch between movie and stills, adjust exposure (if Protune is on) and such, but not at the same level of control as the GoPro app ( reminder, you can't have the GoPro WiFi on in flight).

Same level of control as the stock Solo app. Enough control to switch between movie and stills, adjust exposure (if Protune is on) and such, but not at the same level of control as the GoPro app ( reminder, you can't have the GoPro WiFi on in flight).
Ok thanks!

No worries
Happy Flying

Where can i find the patch for the ESC issue?

the software fix "patch" is already on your solo
the true hardware fix is the green cube and master

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M