Frustrated with lost connection to Solo, constant RTH.

Reaction score
Hey folks.

I love my solo. But I get such crappy distances before I lose connection and get the RTH message.
What should I expect as reasonable distances? I currently start getting a red signal icon at about 350ft high, and less than 1000 ft out.

Also, when the thing is returning home and getting close, I am often unable to reconnect as it is coming in for a landing, 10 feet away from me.

I have the FPVLR Basic antenna.

Thanks

What kind of range were you getting with the stock antennae? I bought an Alpha antenna before I received my Solo, but haven't used it because the stock antenna seem fine - I've been out to around 1500-1600 feet with no problems.

And when it's coming back home, are you aiming your antennae at the Solo? Both the Alpha and FPVLR are highly directional, so you have to be careful where you have them pointed.

Thanks for your reply.
Worse coverage with stock antennae.
Yes, aiming it at Solo, jumping around, standing on one foot, etc. :)

What is typical range for most people?

If your using a Android, Get "WiFi ANalyzer" Open App, Click on "Channel Graph" there you will see all WiFi activity near your location.

With the short rang from Solo, Under a 1000ft, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are -60 or -70. so the higher the Numbers the better for range for Solo.
So any numbers below -80, Solo should have a range of 1800ft to 2500ft.

Don't forget, if your using Solo near your home, your own WiFI from Cable/TV can produce WiFi interference 50 to 60 range easily.
Higher is Good. -100 is WiFi free.

My normal range increase will be easily X2.5 in a WiFi free area, compared to my home location.
Hope this helps

Like User Name said, the FPVLR setup is somewhat directional. At 350ft up, it could be the signal wasn't very strong unless the controller was pointed up as well. I may be off base here, but I have the same setup you do, and I can get out past 3000ft consistently with no RTH. Steve is right, as well about WiFi in the area messing with your signal. I have WiFi Analyzer on my phone and use it where ever I fly to check for possible signal problems. I hope you figure it out, and good luck.

I have the 2nd gen. FPVLR and have never lost connection. I have gone as far as 2200' in the city with no problems.

I generally stay below 200' 'cause I'm afraid of heights.o_O

Hey folks.

I love my solo. But I get such crappy distances before I lose connection and get the RTH message.
What should I expect as reasonable distances? I currently start getting a red signal icon at about 350ft high, and less than 1000 ft out.

Also, when the thing is returning home and getting close, I am often unable to reconnect as it is coming in for a landing, 10 feet away from me.

I have the FPVLR Basic antenna.

Thanks

Im with you on thinking there is an issue.
Go to a flat open area... farm fields? and fly, If you don't get a mile and a half from an easy chair with that set up, then you need to investigate further.

Optionally, you could send me your FPVLR antenna to try as I live were I can go 1.2miles stock, 1.6 miles with Alpha... so I could test it and rule it out for ya ;)

stock everything running latest software and depending on where i am flying 1800-2500 is the range that i have experienced loss of signal
So much of this involves nothing to do with your craft. it is interference, use WIFI analyzer to see what sololink is competing with. but remember that is just where you are standing.
Not 1800 feet out, where the network landscape might be completely different.

Mike, in what order do you turn things on?
Controller first, then solo. Or solo first them controller?

I turn my stuff on in no particular order. Since the last update everything works fine no matter what order I turn them on.:)
Finally...

Thanks for your reply.
Worse coverage with stock antennae.
Yes, aiming it at Solo, jumping around, standing on one foot, etc. :)

What is typical range for most people?
Back in the beginning and this may sound crazy but 3DR was telling folks to perform a stick cal to correct short range radio disconnects. There were several posted back that it had fixed their problem.

If your using a Android, Get "WiFi ANalyzer" Open App, Click on "Channel Graph" there you will see all WiFi activity near your location.

With the short rang from Solo, Under a 1000ft, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are -60 or -70. so the higher the Numbers the better for range for Solo.
So any numbers below -80, Solo should have a range of 1800ft to 2500ft.

Don't forget, if your using Solo near your home, your own WiFI from Cable/TV can produce WiFi interference 50 to 60 range easily.
Higher is Good. -100 is WiFi free.

My normal range increase will be easily X2.5 in a WiFi free area, compared to my home location.
Hope this helps
Thanks Steve.

I'm not sure I fully understand. If I'm getting -90, that's good? If I'm getting -50, I should expect poor range? Will these numbers be completely dependent on the environment I'm in?

Lets say I find with WiFi Analyzer that there are other signals in the area. Assume there is a WiFi issue, what can I do about it? I just want to fly. Am I doomed right from the start if the location I want to fly has bad mojo?

It always seemed like I had fewer issues with my DJI.

Thanks so much for your help.

Reactions: locutus
Like User Name said, the FPVLR setup is somewhat directional. At 350ft up, it could be the signal wasn't very strong unless the controller was pointed up as well. I may be off base here, but I have the same setup you do, and I can get out past 3000ft consistently with no RTH. Steve is right, as well about WiFi in the area messing with your signal. I have WiFi Analyzer on my phone and use it where ever I fly to check for possible signal problems. I hope you figure it out, and good luck.
Thanks Chuck! what do you do if you have a conflicting WiFi signal messing you up?

Im with you on thinking there is an issue.
Go to a flat open area... farm fields? and fly, If you don't get a mile and a half from an easy chair with that set up, then you need to investigate further.

Optionally, you could send me your FPVLR antenna to try as I live were I can go 1.2miles stock, 1.6 miles with Alpha... so I could test it and rule it out for ya ;)
Thanks Chris! I just might do that. I'll try it out in an open area. But if I get great distance in an open area, am I doomed to poor performance in the city? Does this speak of bad design for Solo? How does DJI do it?

Thanks Steve.

I'm not sure I fully understand. If I'm getting -90, that's good? If I'm getting -50, I should expect poor range? Will these numbers be completely dependent on the environment I'm in?

Lets say I find with WiFi Analyzer that there are other signals in the area. Assume there is a WiFi issue, what can I do about it? I just want to fly. Am I doomed right from the start if the location I want to fly has bad mojo?

-90db would be a crappy signal where -50db is better. Decibels is a logarithmic scale where each change in 10 represents a factor of 10 change in power. -90db is 4 tenths the power of -50db.

Thanks Steve.

Not "bad Mojo" Just the nature of WiFi. Most Drones, mobile ph., computers, internet Ect...Ect... use Wifi & all must deal with competing levels of interference.
You can fly almost anywhere, but you distance will depend on the interference from other WiFi competing for a "clearer" signal to & from Solo.

To be a little more clear on the WiFi Analyzer readings:
When you turn on WiFi Analyzer & your looking at the " Channel Graph" screen, from my home, WiFi Analyzer shows many WiFi signals near me, most are in the -60 to -70 dBm range, so when Solo is down range from me & my Rssi is at the same -60 to -70 dBm, then Solo will lose connection due to the some of the other signals drowning out it's signal to & from Solo.

There are lot's of other mitigating factors that can limit or increase your range.
Tree's, building, mountains, better's antennas, Atmospheric interference from the sun even plays a role in WiFi interference.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Mike Lanzetta
Mike, when I get in an area where there is a lot of wifi noise, I try to not fly too far out, and I make darn sure I have good gps home lock. I also double check my rth altitude setting, and make sure my manual button is set. I have flown in high wifi areas with no problems, but I like to know what is in the area before I take off. Hope this helps.

Mike, in what order do you turn things on?
Controller first, then solo. Or solo first them controller?
Roland, always GoPro, Solo, Controller, WiFi on iPhone, App on iPhone, in that order. Thanks.
Im probably going to be shot down for this, as I may be wrong, but if anyone knows for sure can you please chime in and confirm.

Mike the reason I asked what order you turn your equipment on is this...
My preference is scenario 2, but you are doing scenario 1, this may be adding to your problems.
Scenario 1.
You turn on Solo first. It boots up and stays on the channel it was on the last time you turned it off, eg channel 6. Channel 6 was fine the last time you flew but in a new location channel 6 is now swamped with wifi. Then you turn the controller on, it sees Solo is already on channel 6 and handshakes with it, and both stay on channel 6. This is fine at close range, but as soon as you go a short distance your signal is overridden by the local wifi interference and you disconnect and RTH.
You reset the craft and controller and turn on in the same order, no surprize, problem is repeated.

Scenario 2.
If you turn the controller on first, it scans the wifi landscape looking for vacant or less noisey channels and scanning for Solo. Then you turn solo on, it talks to the controller on channel 6, controller who is the originator of the wifi network handshakes with Solo and changes Solo from whatever channel it was on (6) to the clear channel it has now chosen, channel 4 for example.
All is good, both controller and Solo are on a clear channel and long distance comms can occur.

In short, turn Controller on first, let it boot and establish wifi network, then turn Solo on.

Or the longer version.
1. Gopro on (it needs a few seconds to boot as well, or you may get the "GoPro needs firwmare update eror message)
2. Controller on
3. Tab on, and connect Solo app to confirm wifi network is active with Tab. Will show controller connected - waiting for Solo.
4. Solo on, app shows connection to Solo, then waiting for GPS.
5. Fly.

Your mileage may vary, but this has worked faultlessly for me ever since I started doing it consistantly.

Also if I understand correctly, on the latest version if you start wifi analyzer and notice a strong competing network. You can power it all off and on again to see if the system will move the channel to a less noisy channel
I know in the hotspd config mod that worked. Not sure if the new firmware will do that too, but since that update I have not really had range issues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado