Forget object avoidance...

Reaction score
What Intel/Yuneec showed at CES was definitely impressive and ground-breaking, even if it was a bit of a cheat.
However, this excites me more...
Fuel Cell Quadcopter Flies 2 Hours with 4K Video - UAS VISION

2 hours of flight, opening the door for serious commerce and enterprise uses of UAV, which all trickles down into the photography/filmmaking channels.

Actually, IMHO long flight times don't trickle down into image capture. Back in the day, when film was used, cinematographers dealt quite efficiently with the short duration unexposed film clips. Further, I'm interested to know about why uyou think longer flight times would be particularly attractive for filmmaking.

Actually, IMHO long flight times don't trickle down into image capture. Back in the day, when film was used, cinematographers dealt quite efficiently with the short duration unexposed film clips. Further, I'm interested to know about why uyou think longer flight times would be particularly attractive for filmmaking.

I don't think it has tremendous value for "filmmakers" per se, and didn't say it does. But it does benefit everyone.

Longer flight times have tremendous value in event videography. Longer flight times benefit law enforcement, agriculture, surveying, security, inspections for myriad industries, delivery, S&R, small military ops, 3D mapping, wildlife management, livestock tag-reading/roundup, inventory control, weather reporting/investigation, marine technology, newsgathering, live event production, journalism, coaching, education, the list of who benefits is lengthy....
UAV and Livestock.jpg Here's where I'd very much appreciate long flight times. Cold weather (-22F) and long distances searching for ear-tags/cattle.

All those industries will have developmental requirements. Those developmental requirements will benefit hobbyist filmmakers, as well as some of the larger film setups, as well as most other users of UAV/drones. We used to call that "trickle-down."

Last edited:
Further, I'm interested to know about why uyou think longer flight times would be particularly attractive for filmmaking.

How can it not? Can't tell if trolling....

I think we all like to keep a buffer of say 20-25% on the battery. So now we're at about 18 minutes of air time. Say I want to film something that is a good distance away from me in both lateral and vertical reach. Add to the setting that I'm flying above water. Maybe it takes 5 minutes to get in position to begin recording. Now I'm left with 13 minutes of flight time remaining but I need to make it back and land safely, now I'm down to 8 minutes. Unless I'm in the business of only making 15 second instagram videos, 8 minutes is not a huge amount of time.

Maybe your flight is much shorter and you land with 50% remaining. Who is actually going to start a new flight on 50% when they have another fresh battery to swap out? Even doubling our current ability of flight time would be incredible. 2 hours is just silly. Silly like we'd be giggling with excitement.

How can it not? Can't tell if trolling....

I think we all like to keep a buffer of say 20-25% on the battery. So now we're at about 18 minutes of air time. Say I want to film something that is a good distance away from me in both lateral and vertical reach. Add to the setting that I'm flying above water. Maybe it takes 5 minutes to get in position to begin recording. Now I'm left with 13 minutes of flight time remaining but I need to make it back and land safely, now I'm down to 8 minutes. Unless I'm in the business of only making 15 second instagram videos, 8 minutes is not a huge amount of time.

Maybe your flight is much shorter and you land with 50% remaining. Who is actually going to start a new flight on 50% when they have another fresh battery to swap out? Even doubling our current ability of flight time would be incredible. 2 hours is just silly. Silly like we'd be giggling with excitement.
I suppose, but even 5 minutes out is a long ways away. I'm trying to see a shot in my head that would require it. Perhaps I should think a different way.

Vs a "long ways away" you might consider "longer smoother, repeatable shots"
Whether it's important to you or not, most in any tech industry consider battery life as a hurdle.
The majority of public events are of at least 60 minutes endurance, many are 90 or 120. Having a UAV airborne for that length of time is a significant benefit.

Sometimes I go through an entire battery just framing and figuring out what I want for the actual clip. Often you can't just figure it out from the ground until you get the perspective from the air. If you're trying to do serious cinematography, it takes a good deal of planning. Maybe I need to wait 5 or 10 more minutes for the sun to dip a little lower to get the right light. Would rather not have to land, change batts, and then try to get back to the perfect spot I had. Not everything works on the first take, or movies would be a lot easier to make lol. Sometimes, most of the time, you have to shoot several times. Again, would be better to not have to come in, land, change batts and try to get back in the exact same spot. There is no downside to longer flight times, whether you can see the use cases or not. There are, however, downsides to shorter flight times.

Most electric cars have a range of about 300 miles on a charge. That makes it kind of a pain if you want to do a cross country trip. You actually have to plan your trip to reach charging stations within 300 miles. If you can't find one, you have to plan a different route and it might not even be possible. Think if that range was increased to 600 or 1,000 miles. Kind of the same thing.

Sometimes I go through an entire battery just framing and figuring out what I want for the actual clip. Often you can't just figure it out from the ground until you get the perspective from the air. If you're trying to do serious cinematography, it takes a good deal of planning. Maybe I need to wait 5 or 10 more minutes for the sun to dip a little lower to get the right light. Would rather not have to land, change batts, and then try to get back to the perfect spot I had. Not everything works on the first take, or movies would be a lot easier to make lol. Sometimes, most of the time, you have to shoot several times. Again, would be better to not have to come in, land, change batts and try to get back in the exact same spot. There is no downside to longer flight times, whether you can see the use cases or not. There are, however, downsides to shorter flight times.

Most electric cars have a range of about 300 miles on a charge. That makes it kind of a pain if you want to do a cross country trip. You actually have to plan your trip to reach charging stations within 300 miles. If you can't find one, you have to plan a different route and it might not even be possible. Think if that range was increased to 600 or 1,000 miles. Kind of the same thing.
There are about a zillion things that would help make better shots, I guess I can see how a longer flight time would help. My thoughts move to: "if I wee the engineer(s) for improving the performance of Solo as an aireal capture system, wuold I focus on flight time, or perhaps: GPS accuracy and dependability or, camera controls or for that matter, a more capable and scalable camera system or, or something else...

Reactions: erikgraham
There are about a zillion things that would help make better shots, I guess I can see how a longer flight time would help. My thoughts move to: "if I wee the engineer(s) for improving the performance of Solo as an aireal capture system, wuold I focus on flight time, or perhaps: GPS accuracy and dependability or, camera controls or for that matter, a more capable and scalable camera system or, or something else...

Perhaps you missed the point that the battery format linked earlier isn't 3DR; it's a general development. It will impact UAV whether we wish for it or not. I'm fairly confident in saying that 3DR isn't remotely lookingat this sort of battery system at this time. For the sake of hypothetical, let's assume they are. That means the hydrogen battery has to fit into the solo tray, has to be the same output as the current battery, and has to be similarly affordable. Not there yet? Then move on to other things.

I do know that 3DR are examining other gimbal and camera mount systems. I don't know what you mean by "scalable?" I don't expect to ever be able to lift my Epic with a Solo, even if 3DR does offer up a larger, sharper prop.

Perhaps you missed the point that the battery format linked earlier isn't 3DR; it's a general development. It will impact UAV whether we wish for it or not. I'm fairly confident in saying that 3DR isn't remotely lookingat this sort of battery system at this time. For the sake of hypothetical, let's assume they are. That means the hydrogen battery has to fit into the solo tray, has to be the same output as the current battery, and has to be similarly affordable. Not there yet? Then move on to other things.

I do know that 3DR are examining other gimbal and camera mount systems. I don't know what you mean by "scalable?" I don't expect to ever be able to lift my Epic with a Solo, even if 3DR does offer up a larger, sharper prop.
What I mean by a scaleable camera system is one where one part of the system keeps up with the technology of another part of the system: IE: camera goes from fixed focal length to a zoom lens, aperture and shutter speed (capabilities and controls)and focus, It's inevitable that cameras will get more functionality and smaller. I can't imagine that Solo will stay wit the Gopro as the camera system, as IMHO the stock focal length is much too wide, no shutter, aperture and obviously focus control. Additionaly, since Gopro is getting into the business of image capture UAVs, I can't imagine that Gopro would license their camera developments to 3DR.
So, a new camera maker, or in the best scenario ever, Solo gets into developing their own camera. (scaleable)

Reactions: J R
Actually, want love too hear more why the Obstacle Avoidance demo was a cheat. What was phoney about it? Seriously, not being a TROLL...I really like to know. :)

What Intel/Yuneec showed at CES was definitely impressive and ground-breaking, even if it was a bit of a cheat.
However, this excites me more...
Fuel Cell Quadcopter Flies 2 Hours with 4K Video - UAS VISION

2 hours of flight, opening the door for serious commerce and enterprise uses of UAV, which all trickles down into the photography/filmmaking channels.

Long flight time will be huge in aerial delivery, security/law enforcement, news, environmental monitoring

Actually, want love too hear more why the Obstacle Avoidance demo was a cheat. What was phoney about it? Seriously, not being a TROLL...I really like to know. :)
I don't think we know it was a cheat. It's more a matter of wanting to see it to believe it. There is a long history of vapor ware at CES and in the tech industry in general. Does it work at all? Does it work as well as they say in the real world? Are they "hiding something behind the curtain" - like faster processors and better sensors than will be in the final product that we can actually buy?

Someone on one of these threads said something along the lines that the system showcased at CES is actually much better than what they will release to consumers. I would be surprised if that's the case - but not too surprised.

Obstacle avoidance tech has been demonstrated on drones quite a bit over the last couple of years, so it is coming. We are just being cautious. The proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkycamJoe
OK...totally get it now. A grain of salt towards whatever is displayed but not yet available for the public to test in real life is smart.

Our 3DR Solo was shown last year at NAB with the belly sensor to aid flying indoors. Exactly what you said happened...this was NOT the way we would get it!

"Buyer beware" :)

Reactions: erikgraham
Vs a "long ways away" you might consider "longer smoother, repeatable shots"
Whether it's important to you or not, most in any tech industry consider battery life as a hurdle.
The majority of public events are of at least 60 minutes endurance, many are 90 or 120. Having a UAV airborne for that length of time is a significant benefit.
OK...totally get it now. A grain of salt towards whatever is displayed but not yet available for the public to test in real life is smart.

Our 3DR Solo was shown last year at NAB with the belly sensor to aid flying indoors. Exactly what you said happened...this was NOT the way we would get it!

"Buyer beware" :)
I think you're the smartest guy here. You got an answer or question about it all.

Read the article that was posted. In order to "simulate" GPS, Intel used a tracking system costing more than three quarters of a million dollars. GPS would not have been available indoors, hence the simulated system. Why they used it is understandable. Why they didn't disclose it is understandable.
echeng160108_101620.jpg

Note the tracking balls on the demo unit.

echeng160108_101658.jpg

Note the tracking cameras in the cage (and in the bicycle demo room).

This system samples 360 times more than any other system, and is not accessible to 'normal' people, and will not be part of the shipping unit. It not only samples far more than everyone else' systems, it is also approximately 6000 times more precise. Yuneec/Intel did not share with attendees how they were tracking/informing the drone of obstacles, and no one was told of the near-million dollar "addition" to the drone.
So, while the feature is very cool indeed, what was shown to the public is not what the system is truly capable of; it was a false presentation, ergo a "cheat."
Is it cool? Yes. Will regular people ever have access to this level of tracking/GPS sampling? Perhaps in a couple of decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: erikgraham and J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44