Follow Mode Accuracy

Reaction score
I've seen a few off-hand comments about Follow Mode being a little meh, but I really want to get familiar with these features, because once I can use them well, I can figure out real-uses for them (hopeful), or figure out if I never need them (maybe that's more likely?).

Follow is working for me; I can let it just follow behind me, set it to orbit and all of those things are working well except... the footage is unusable because Solo is following an arbitrary point somewhat near me/the controller.

My question for the collective wisdom is this: Is there anyway to calibrate Solo's interpretation of GPS location? I know it can be off by a few feet (how the heck do people trust boat landings with this margin of error?), but mine seems to be consistently off by the same amount of distance... possibly even in the same direction every time.

It's worth noting that I'm on iOS using an iPhone 6S+, and in the app I was on some screen that showed my GPS location as interpreted by my phone, what I think was Solo on the screen and box with points around it. Is this where I mess around with these settings? Do I move the corner handles on the box to be more accurate to where I am, where I am on the map, or where Solo is?

...AAAAaaaaand, now I see there is a separate sub-forum for Help vs Discussion. Doh!

Mods, feel free to relocate.

that square is your GeoFence. Its one of the new features. When activated, solo will only fly within the 4-sided shape you create.

Reactions: acs306
There is no way to adjust the GPS accuracy. It is dependent on many factors over which we have no control. (You can change out the GPS module but that really only affects lock acquisition time and reliability of the GPS signal by being able to see more satellites. The Russian ones)

With regards to return to land landing accuracy, if your landing on a boat you better take over manual control and land it yourself. Most people do that on land in case Solo decides to have a spazz attack just prior to landing, which usually results in an accident.

With regards to follow me accuracy, I don't have any experience with that. Lots of threads here discussion that. Hopefully somebody else will address that.

I played with this again today, and it just wasn't that accurate. The GPS in the iPhone is apparently crap anyway. I wonder if these features work better for those that have Samsung Galaxy Tabs with better GPS chips.

I played with this again today, and it just wasn't that accurate. The GPS in the iPhone is apparently crap anyway. I wonder if these features work better for those that have Samsung Galaxy Tabs with better GPS chips.
Solo has its own on-board GPS- it does not use the GPS in your tablet or phone. It is a complex subject so I suggest you use the search function and read some threads about GPS issues and solutions.:)

Solo has its own on-board GPS- it does not use the GPS in your tablet or phone. It is a complex subject so I suggest you use the search function and read some threads about GPS issues and solutions.:)
... but with Follow Me, it uses the GPS position coming from the phone/tablet to work out where to point the camera and whether to move. If the phone/tablet GPS is crap, the position it is broadcasting will not match the position of the actal device very well, which would produce the inaccuracy described.

Another option is to upgrade the GPS accuracy of your iPhone / iPad, connect a Garmin GLO via Bluetooth, this device overrides the internal GPS. Garmin GLO uses GPS and Glonass satetilles positioning. I'm using GLO GPS on my iOS device and very is accurate, excellent for the Return to me and Follow Me modes.
A little extra cost but excellent results.

Be safe and happy landing......

Reactions: nexxypoo
... but with Follow Me, it uses the GPS position coming from the phone/tablet to work out where to point the camera and whether to move. If the phone/tablet GPS is crap, the position it is broadcasting will not match the position of the actal device very well, which would produce the inaccuracy described.
Ok, ya got me there. I forgot what the thread was about..:oops:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks