"Follow me" Mode is not working

Reaction score
I've had my solo for about 2 weeks now. At first I was using my iPhone 6 plus. The follow me mode worked great. Then I went out and got an iPad mini 3 128GB( wifi only) as a dedicated device for the solo. Now all of the sudden follow mode doesn't work... Says it can't locate my device and something about GPS. Anyone had similar issues? Is there a setting I'm missing in the pad? I haven't tried the my phone again, I'll try it tomorrow.

Ipad Mini 3 WiFi only version does not have GPS, only the cellular version. You won't be able to do Follow without GPS.

Ipad Mini 3 WiFi only version does not have GPS, only the cellular version. You won't be able to do Follow without GPS.

If that's the case why does the mini 3 shows my location in maps while on wifi? Am I missing something?

If that's the case why does the mini 3 shows my location in maps while on wifi? Am I missing something?
According to Apple's Mini 3 page, the WiFi only model uses the following for location estimates, but no GPS.
  • Wi‑Fi
  • Digital compass
  • iBeacon microlocation

GPS is REQUIRED for Follow Me feature to work.

Reactions: Lonewulph
According to Apple's Mini 3 page, the WiFi only model uses the following for location estimates, but no GPS.
  • Wi‑Fi
  • Digital compass
  • iBeacon microlocation

GPS is REQUIRED for Follow Me feature to work.

Thanks..doing an exchange today.

I have a new Motorola Droid Turbo phone that I am using for the app and I cant get follow me mode to work either. The Solo starts twitching like its physically looking for something but just sits there shaking but does not follow.

I have a new Motorola Droid Turbo phone that I am using for the app and I cant get follow me mode to work either. The Solo starts twitching like its physically looking for something but just sits there shaking but does not follow.

I haven't done much testing of Follow Me with the Solo, but on the Iris+, depending on how it's configured, you may need to move over 30 meters before it starts following.

That distance can be shortened by "tightening up the leash" in settings, but a lot of first time Follow Me users (on the Iris+) get thrown by that. They only walk 20 or 30 feet and expect the Iris to start following, but they really need to go further than that (or shorten the leash) for it to really kick in.

I haven't done much testing of Follow Me with the Solo, but on the Iris+, depending on how it's configured, you may need to move over 30 meters before it starts following.

That distance can be shortened by "tightening up the leash" in settings, but a lot of first time Follow Me users (on the Iris+) get thrown by that. They only walk 20 or 30 feet and expect the Iris to start following, but they really need to go further than that (or shorten the leash) for it to really kick in.
ok coolio, I will try that today.

Will the Solo go faster in follow me mode even if the settings are set to the slowest speed?

Will the Solo go faster in follow me mode even if the settings are set to the slowest speed?

Nevermind, I just read in the manual you can adjust the default cruise speed when setting up follow me.

I tried follow me for the first time today.

I must say, I wasn't very impressed.

First it started by waiting a long time saying 'waiting for smart device to get location' or something similar. The app should start the smart device's GPS and be ready for when I hit the button, not make me wait while burning the Solo battery in a hover.

Then it wasn't very smooth. I would walk and the Solo would sit there hovering where it was, then it would make very fast, jerky movements to move 20 or 30 feet, and then stop abruptly, before repeating to the next jerky move.

Perhaps it will get better with the gimbal, but so far follow me seems useless.

I tried follow me for the first time today.

I must say, I wasn't very impressed.

First it started by waiting a long time saying 'waiting for smart device to get location' or something similar. The app should start the smart device's GPS and be ready for when I hit the button, not make me wait while burning the Solo battery in a hover.

Then it wasn't very smooth. I would walk and the Solo would sit there hovering where it was, then it would make very fast, jerky movements to move 20 or 30 feet, and then stop abruptly, before repeating to the next jerky move.

Perhaps it will get better with the gimbal, but so far follow me seems useless.
I also tried it today as erikgraham said and experienced the exact same thing and cam to the exact same conclusion... Useless as of now. :(

I also tried it today as erikgraham said and experienced the exact same thing and cam to the exact same conclusion... Useless as of now. :(
I Have seen some excellent examples of the Solo in follow me mode. But using those examples I would say that the Follow Me is designed for people actually moving, not testing by moving a few feet and stopping. Start jogging or some other constant moving action and I believe it will work better for you.

I would agree. Meant for following a dirt bike or something of that nature.

I would think eventually it will know that GPS on controller is walking at 2 mph so it needs to fly at 2 mph and adjust as needed. If the person with control does a right turn eventually it should be able to do a rotate like ROI on tower to keep person in shot and then straighten backup when the solo itself makes the corner.

It seems it is similar to the ROI function in that it always keeps what ever it is following in the shot. But t isn't a 'cookie crumb' track. When you turn, it will cut the corner and keep you in shot. It's interesting how it works though; it can also 'follow' in front of you or to the side. What ever position you start it at is the position it tries to keep while keeping you in the shot.

Will be a lot easier to see how it works when we are not using the pogo stick camera system we have now !
Right now its hard to play with tower unless you crank the speed down really low. The turns in waypoints are brutal.

I was walking, not taking a few steps at a time. I hope it gets better with the gimbal

Reactions: rrmccabe
Yeah I was walking too, but I will try to go faster farther.
P.S. How does a guy on a dirt bike get the solo to follow besides carrying the controller in a back pack or something? That just seems ackward and useless as well. Who wants to lug around a backpack with a bulky controller in it? Can you just carry the phone with the app. And how far can you go from the controller like that?

Will be a lot easier to see how it works when we are not using the pogo stick camera system we have now !
Right now its hard to play with tower unless you crank the speed down really low. The turns in waypoints are brutal.

Try using Spline Waypoints to try and soften up some of those curves. Normal waypoints just jerk the snot out of Solo.

My last mission I used splines but of course its still jerky without gimbal. My lens does not help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M