Follow me: Max. Distance between Controller and Mobile Device

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using the follow me mode a lot and am not happy with the approx. 100m max communication range between the controller and the mobile device. I'm doing follow me shots while riding a dirt bike where I cannot really carry the controller.
Is there any way to increase the communication range?

How does it work with the pebble watch? Same thing or would I have a larger possible distance to the controller?

Thanks

The follow me function works with your iPad/Android device, not the controller itself.
So, if you're using a phone for video, just shove it in your pocket.

Thanks for your reply Marich. However, that's exactly what I'm doing. I have my phone in my pocket and the solo follows the GPS signal of my phone. Now when I'm more then 100m away from the controller the communication between phone and controller disconnects and solo hovers in the air at the location where Solo was at the time when the communication disconnected.

Its limited by wifi Martin, all your devices Solo, controller and phone are on the Sololink wifi network.
When the phone goes out of wifi range of the controller then Solo comes to a halt.
You could try elevating the controller (and the phone you are carrying) to extend the range.
But its all because of wifi range limitations.

to increase the range of communication between the controller and mobile device you have a few options:

-use higher gain omnidirectinonal antennas (5b , 7db, 9db, ec)
-use a wifi extender/repeater/booster
-upgrade the wifi card in the controller

the easiest and cheapest are the antennas. if you still need more range than i would look at the wifi extender or even upgrading the wifi cards.

Has anyone noticed how slow the solo is in follow me mode. It can't keep up at 40 mph..

Actually, when reading here: Solo: Follow Me Drone
At least i got the impression i should be able to do "follow me -shots" at high speed. I also believe i saw Colin answer someone who asked if it was possible to do follow me all the way up to 55 mph with a "Yes".

I bought mine, specifically for filming by boat, and at 55mph i could almost keep up with tha boat. But it seems i wont.

Actually, when reading here: Solo: Follow Me Drone
At least i got the impression i should be able to do "follow me -shots" at high speed. I also believe i saw Colin answer someone who asked if it was possible to do follow me all the way up to 55 mph with a "Yes".

I bought mine, specifically for filming by boat, and at 55mph i could almost keep up with tha boat. But it seems i wont.
I believe the Turtle/Rabbit slider can effect this, but not up to 55. Higher speeds can be obtained through Tower parameters, but not sure if it can get to 55 in follow. 55 is the max speed in manual mode, though I have seen videos of closer to 60.

"Bought specifically for filming by boat, and at 55mph"
Like @Jubalr says "obtained through Tower" Maybe?

If you figure out on how to do 55 + Follow me mode at the same time, I guarantee that flight time will be very low. 8 to 10min. per battery.
Wish you luck...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44