Flying solo off a cliff

Reaction score
hi all, I am planning a video shoot on a cliff and would like to do some footage off the cliff face. I'm planning on a shot off the face decending down the face then ascending back up. My take off and landing point will be atop the cliff. Now I'm speculating that when the solo lands it senses that it's 0 feet above ground and kills the motors. Will this be the case when I start decending down the cliff face beyond it preset starting point of 0 feet and kill the motor sending solo crashing down to earth?

hi all, I am planning a video shoot on a cliff and would like to do some footage off the cliff face. I'm planning on a shot off the face decending down the face then ascending back up. My take off and landing point will be atop the cliff. Now I'm speculating that when the solo lands it senses that it's 0 feet above ground and kills the motors. Will this be the case when I start decending down the cliff face beyond it preset starting point of 0 feet and kill the motor sending solo crashing down to earth?
Welcome to the forum. The magnifying glass in the top right corner will allow you to search previous topics, as this has been covered a great deal. But, no it will not kill the motors. You takeoff point will always be 0 but the Solo can fly below and internally register a negative altitude. Your controller will not display negative but the Solo knows better. If RTH is needed, Solo will gain to the altitude above 0 that you have set as the RTH altitude.

Reactions: DroneNerd702
Welcome,
Solo will note where your takeoff is/was & will not turn off anything after you start descending from top of the cliff.
If your taking off in "Fly" mode, then GPS is automatically engaged, so along as Solo has clear line of sight to GPS satellites, then fly to your hearts content, till battery run down to 25%

You could also perform this in manual mode, but you need practice manual mode several times first.

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to some goood video from you.

Thanks for the replies guys! I did try the search, maybe I wasn't wording right to get the results I wanted, thanks for helping anyways. Can't wait to get out there and try it. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing your videos, should be epic. Solo cliff diving! I'm picturing a 1000' cliff...

Both Jubalr and Steve are correct, no worries having Solo fly below your "0" altitude, as it is mainly a reference for you the pilot. Actual smart to take off from the top and fly down rather than fly up the face, if that was even an option. Your descent rate is limited to 2.5m/s, whereas your ascend rate is at least twice as fast if not more depending on your performance settings. Also keep in mind your rate of battery drain will be quicker after the 40% point, as will full throttle to ascend to the top will consume the battery faster. Side on landing with at least 25% battery remaining, which may require you to start your return at 50% battery....again 1000' cliff thinking...

Good luck!

Reactions: Acroduster
There's a good chance that your Solo will lose GPS lock as it descends, since the cliff will remove half the sky from view (if your Solo is close to the cliff). So be prepared to fly w/o GPS and don't let the cliff eat your Solo! :eek:

Jon Corbin did this video near my home; I don't have video of me flying my Solo, but as you can see, it can be a sweet view.
Jon is flying his with GPS; I typically lift off with GPS and switch to manual.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44