Flying in snow

Hans,

Just trying to be a bit funny this morning. I'm risk adverse as well and have done my fair share of things I certainly wouldn't let everyone here know about. I like to lick my own wounds rather then get ripped to shreds by a pack of wolves!

10 degrees and snow here, no flying for me today, damn!

Jerry
Gosh- 78 deg and breezy here. I feel your pain Jerry- - no I don't.:p

Reactions: J R
Well, Maybe it's not so bad after all...(not my footage)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

wow! that's nuts.... and cool... at the same time

That Phantom 2 did pretty good in that snow actually...

Well, Maybe it's not so bad after all...(not my footage)
You got guts, and obviously know how to have fun no matter the weather.

Holy balls - snow balls that is! Could really see the drone fighting the wind, would suck to lose GPS

I don't see how snow can get in the motors with the prop wash.

I don't see how snow can get in the motors with the prop wash.

Cosber,

I think I originally brought up the "dry snowflake in the motor". I was just providing a very simplistic example. I don't want moisture on or in my UAV's. Just seems like you'd be asking for potential trouble to me. I'd love to do it though! Maybe someday, with my P2 of course.

Jerry

Jubalr,

I'm just goofing!

Jerry
I Know Jerry, Here is one of my favorites from 2-3 years ago of a quad in a snow storm with a black/white IR camera..

Reactions: bjswx, Del and J R
I'll bet that with the centrifugal flow of air near the center that absolutely no snow gets in the motor. Rain would be a different story, though.

Not a solo...but... you can't tell me NO moisture got in that thing lol

Here in the land of nearly perpetual drizzle and wet snow winters, the RC guys actually dip their components in Corrosion X so they can fly in all weather. The people that have RC boats do this, then the float plane fliers started doing the same and it caught on with other RC owners who just wanted to fly all winter. I know a few guys who have done it with their DIY drones and fly in snow and fog. I haven't had the courage to dip my electronics in a viscous green liquid for even a few seconds. But it works. And that is exactly what they do, remove everything and dip it in a jar of the stuff.

I know flying solo in the rain and drizzle is a bad idea, but what about while it is actually snowing? I would think wet snow us as bad as rain, but what about a dry snow? Am I crazy to want to do this?
I fly on snow with my Phantom V2+ and was OK; but when I land, I wiped the PV2+ with a tissue.

Solo hasn't been around long enough to have shot many snow videos, but here is a cool one from The Other drone:

Solo hasn't been around long enough to have shot many snow videos, but here is a cool one from The Other drone:

That video was shot about an hour from my house, and back then a P2 was worth a whole lot more.

FYI - brushless motors are not harmed by water, in fact they will run under water. As far as other parts on a UAV, not so much, but the motors, no worries.

I Know Jerry, Here is one of my favorites from 2-3 years ago of a quad in a snow storm with a black/white IR camera..
Pretty cool effect with the drone flying thru the snow. too bad it's black and white and low res though. Good to see people expanding the possibilities

That video was shot about an hour from my house, and back then a P2 was worth a whole lot more.

FYI - brushless motors are not harmed by water, in fact they will run under water. As far as other parts on a UAV, not so much, but the motors, no worries.
Considering that the tops of the brushless motors are exposed to the air, and that the electronics are all enclosed in the body of the Solo, are saying this would not be a problem?

Considering that the tops of the brushless motors are exposed to the air, and that the electronics are all enclosed in the body of the Solo, are saying this would not be a problem?
I'm curious to ?
So is there even any Long Term affect of having water in your brushless Motors..like Rust or any kinda of corrosion or drying out bearings ?

I am not advocating using your quad in wet conditions.

If one of my quads were to get wet I would blow them dry with compressed air. My crawler motors get wet as does my short course truck frequently with no issues.
Even the electrical components are water proof on them so crossing a small stream or ditch does no harm.

For years hobbies have been breaking in 'brushed' motors in water. Brushless, like used on quads do not require this.
The bearings are typically sealed and if it is fresh water (not salt), it is pretty harmless for the motor itself.

Here are a couple of brushless motors in water...

If one of my quads were to get wet I would blow them dry with compressed air. My crawler motors get wet as does my short course truck frequently with no issues.
Even the electrical components are water proof on them so crossing a small stream or ditch does no harm.

For years hobbies have been breaking in 'brushed' motors in water. Brushless, like used on quads do not require this.
The bearings are typically sealed and if it is fresh water (not salt), it is pretty harmless for the motor itself.

That's interesting..

Thanks for Sharing ..

Yeah, I actually don't recall if the guys I know treat the motors. I know they will immerse servos, ESCs, circuit boards, etc., in Corrosion X (and I think there are other equivalent products out there now). I didn't realize brushless motors were so durable - good info!

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44