Flight approved areas

Reaction score
Do you register your Solo and have yourself registered as a pilot before flying drones at a flight approved area?

Can I fly at these areas or any other areas without myself as a registered pilot?

Presuming we're talking about the USA, and we're talking about personal recreational / hobby use here, and not commercial stuff....
  • You register yourself here (sUAS Registration). You do not register each aircraft separately. You're just registering yourself as the owner.
  • You get a registration number that must be placed on each of your aircraft somewhere. It doesn't have to be huge or exposed. Inside the battery compartment is fine.
  • There is no such thing as an "approved flight area" in the United States. There are rules and guidelines that give you criteria for where you should and shouldn't fly. And there are laws prohibiting careless and reckless operation of an aircraft.
  • On the other hand, there are areas where flight is specifically prohibited. Such as the Washington DC FRZ, national park service property, etc. Many local parks have their own local rules and prohibitions.
  • So it's not about finding an approved area. It's about finding an area that is safe, not annoying other people, and not prohibited.
You will find there are many people opposed to the UAS registration system for a variety of reasons. Many have made a conscious choice to rebel and not register, which is a violation of the law whether you like it or not. You may even find people proclaiming the law is invalid and therefore you don't need to, which is simply not the case. Personally, I'm not in a position to violate federal law, so I've registered myself. I suggest you do as well. Or don't, but it's at your own risk.

@Pedals2Paddles:
Got it! I'm more of a hobbyist, but I'm curious if the requirements for commercial and for research would be the same

I'm currently located in New York and I'm really keen to get started in flying it, are there weekly flight meets in NY or Brooklyn area?

Be careful! My guess is that most of your area is a no fly zone for one reason or another.

Get registered.

Do your homework!

I'm not aware of any blanket ban on UAS in NYC, either by local law or FAA, unlike for example, the DC FRZ. However, the rules and guidelines for safe operation still apply. And if you want to follow those rules, cruising around city streets and parks full of people, cars, and homes would not be advisable.

There are others here who know the commercial requirements much better than I do. So I'm not even going to try.

Im from nj and one cop ask me if my drone have ensure like a car ensure, bc i was about to fly was no a national park, so I answering the question saying that i only need to have my drone registered by the FAA and i show him the registration and he still ask me for the drone ensures, so i ask him why do i need any ensures to fly my drone for fun only no for bushiness he never answer me so i just leave.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150