First day, first crash

Reaction score
Hi. I purchased a solo for $480 with the solo, gimbal, extra battery, backpack, and gopro included. I take it out for a flight and everything goes well along with the next 5 flights. Coming in for a landing on a deck on my 6th flight the drone hits 10% and starts to go up to 300 feet for return home ( roof overhang above it) and I try to lower it while it is in return home mode, as a previous P3s owner it did not make sense why it would not respond. I hit manual fly to late. It hit the roof and feel 20 feet down. The damage was 4 broken props, an ejected battery, and a minor crack in the shell which I repaired with some uv-curing glue. Is there anything else I should be doing before my next flight? I checked the motors and gimbal, everything was fine and I am still getting a good video feed. Thanks in advance!

Use the Fly button to take back control when RTL automatically kicks in

Motor shafts could be bent - could check for excess vibration: Measuring Vibration — Copter documentation

Pull your gimbal and check that all eight ends of dampers are still fully inserted. Re-install gimbal.

Pull your battery tray/GPS cover - check that the HDMI cable is lifted off of the gimbal

Program your controller's A button to Fly:Manual
When near trees or structures, or if they may block more than a couple degrees of the horizon, take off and land in Fly:Manual
Keep RTL height set as low as possible while still clearing obstacles
Upgrade firmware to 1.5.3 - among other things, it'll help prevent flip-overs on landing and help with low battery warnings

Search this forum for help with any of this

Reactions: RACCOON EGGS
Try to be on the ground between 20% and 10% less stress on you and the Solo. May even prolong the battery life; although not all agree.

I usually land between 30% and 20% and have usually accomplished what I was trying to do without pushing things. It gives time to deal with the unexpected - winds, dogs, people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig