First Crash - now gimbal failure

Well, in the interest of science, or more likely to fill my innate feeling to distroy things, I decided to take apart the gimbal.

At least I found out the problem, I think. The top motor had shifted position, forced inwards by the crash. Consequently, the plastic housing of the motor was rubbing against the gimbal plate. Also, the
metal motor housing itself seemed a little out of alignment causing scrapping within.

Anyway, I plan to make a new thread of the teardown soon. But for interest, the motors are created by Namiki and they could be replaced.
motors "Stepper or Servo" are replaceable, But many other parts are not. Housing, Circuit board, brackets etc...
Perhaps brackets can be produced with a 3d printer?
Still an interesting project
Take lot's of images...

Thanks

Last edited:
Update: obviously 3DR came to the conclusion it was pilot error. Fine. I purchased another Gimbal off eBay, a risk I was willing to take for almost 50% less than local retailers. It appears brand new so I was psyched. Received it yesterday and true to their word it looked genuinely new.

Fitted it with bated breath, annnnnd this one creates a buzzing sound at 90 degrees; tilting less then 70 and the buzz goes. Um, so I removed it, and checked all wires were better positioned and reassembled. Yes, no buzzing. Then a minute later, it returned noooo. So I reattempted this several times, including several level recalibrations. Um, I thought, is it a weight problem, nope, not that, correct weights attached. Noted the HDMI cable sticking out a bit, maybe this was causing an imbalance, so I pushed it in as far as it would go. No joy. Then noted i lost video feed too.

After messing around for 5 mins or so I decided to remove the GoPro to make some adjustments. I nearly cried when I saw the HDMI port on the GoPro had dislodged from the PCB in the GoPro. Can this get any worse.

I now have a noisey Gimbal and a useless GoPro. I've had this GoPro for many years (its a Hero 3+ Black) and it has never let me down and I've never felt the need to upgrade.

I've read so many threads complaining about the gimbal, I wish 3DR put more R&D into it before they released it.

So all I have now is a flying paper weight with no financial means to replace the GoPro and get the Gimbal replaced or repaired.

I've only had solo for less than two months. When it worked, it worked great but now it's going to sit collecting dust. Think I might have to cut my loses and sell.

Has it occurred to you the GoPro is likely the problem?

So, are you suggesting a loose HDMI connection can cause buzzing gimbal noises?
No, I'm suggesting is possible your GoPro may be causing even more problems. The gimbal isn't optimized for your model, and if it's in the shape you suggest there's no telling what side effects may be occurring.

I'm not sure I agree. My previous gimbal worked completely as expected untill I crashed it to the ground.

However, when thinking on it, the gopro did spring out from the gimbal holder on impact, causing possible damage I can't detect. This could explain the weakened HDMI port I suppose.

I've ordered a new motherboard for the gopro. I wish I had the equipment for micro soldering to reattach the hdmi port, but I don't. No way of testing untill delivery of the motherboard.

I'm not sure I agree. My previous gimbal worked completely as expected untill I crashed it to the ground.

However, when thinking on it, the gopro did spring out from the gimbal holder on impact, causing possible damage I can't detect. This could explain the weakened HDMI port I suppose.

I've ordered a new motherboard for the gopro. I wish I had the equipment for micro soldering to reattach the hdmi port, but I don't. No way of testing untill delivery of the motherboard.
For reference, how much for MotherBoard? Black or Silver? 3 or 4? TIA

as your gimbal is already finished, would you mind to share some pictures of the opened gimbal ?
pictures of the motors - connectors - circuit board (both sides maybe with closeup on the IC`s) and some bearings or whatever would be of interest - THX!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks