Finally it happened, lost my Solo today | edit : Found & Alive again

Reaction score
not that I was planning for this to happen, but I knew there was always possibility.

this is the view from my launch point
IMG_0991.JPG

I made 3 flights today :
1. everything normal and good
2. mostly fine, except when coming home Solo started to behave strangely (swinging in all directions) and descended on its own, I was unable to hold nor increase the altitude. This minor incident happened in front of me (about 40m out), Solo landed softly in the bushes so I just went to pick it up and bring it back to my launch point
3. this is when I lost the Solo, all started as normal, basically I just wanted to check whether Solo is fine after flight no.2, it launched fine and was holding altitude fine and responding fine to all commands, I flew forward and 35 seconds later it was gone.

I'll describe the last flight no.3 :

I've been to this location 5-6 times in last couple of weeks and always had a good flight.
Observed wind speed from the nearest weather station at the time of my incident was 7km/h (4.3M/h) with gusts up to 15km/h (9.3M/h), I didn't actually notice any wind, it was fairly calm late afternoon.

One thing that was different to all of my previous visits and flights at this location that today for the first time I was descending below the altitude of the launch point. The beach on the photo is about 100m below me, I lost the Solo about 1/3 of the distance between me and the beach.

Last known Solo location (from controller Tlogs) is here :
Google Maps

The launch point was +/- 120m North (more or less) of Solo last known location.

About 30 seconds into this flight (heading towards the beach and descending) Solo started to behave strangely, it was swinging in all directions, I released the right stick and tried to increase altitude with left stick, Solo was not responding and started to have trouble holding altitude, when I noticed that it started to descend on its own, I pressed the Return Home button, it kept on descending, all this time it was swinging/shaking left/right/front/back.
It seemed to be descending straight down, wasn't flying in any direction, just swinging around but descending in straight line. It all happened very quickly, there was not time to do anything else - I tried to increase altitude with left stick for about 3 seconds but when I noticed Solo started to descend, another 1 second later I hit the return home button, 3 seconds later I lost the sight of Solo (it descended behind cliff) and lost signal almost instantly. I was in Fly mode.

I walked towards the beach as far as I could, but there are some cliffs that I couldn't descend. I didn't know it then but after I got home and downloaded Tlogs, I know now that I walked to a distance of about 40m from Solo but I could not recover the signal. Either the battery got dislodged or simply the fact that it seems Solo landed/crashed behind/below yet another cliff that was in the way of signal.

At the time I hit the Return Home, the relative altitude was -20m, but the real GPS altitude was +90m, I lost the signal 3 seconds later, at that time GPS altitude was 54m.
Does anyone know what does GPS altitude mean, is this altitude above see level or is this altitude above ground in that specific location ? My estimate is that the location shown on map as last known location is about 15-20m above see level and I'm trying to determine what was the vertical distance between Solo and ground when I lost the signal.

I know that in those 3 seconds between RTL and loss of signal Solo descended by 36m and it shifted only by 2m SW (heading), I don't know what happened afterwards but I'm assuming it was descending at same rate and if at the time of loss of signal it was only 30m above ground then I expect to find it perhaps only another 2m SW (if not exactly at the same GPS point as last known location).

Battery level was 41% when I lost the signal, is there any chance that battery would not go flat until tomorrow morning (12-14 hours after flight), that would allow me to reconnect the controller as I get closer and find on the map the exact location.

That location is difficult to access and finding Solo among those trees or bushes may be quite difficult, trying to narrow my search area, if my search radius was 50m then I think I may never find it, 20m radius would still be quite hard, 10m radius is doable.
I'm saying this only because when the minor incident happened in flight no.2 and I could see exactly where Solo landed 40m in front of me, I was still having impossibly hard time locating it when I actually walked there, with that flight however I never lost the signal so I was able to pin-point the Solo on the map and believe me I could not see it standing just 2m away (it was hidden in the bush).

The problem is when you lose signal as happened in flight no.3 then you cannot use the map and there is no way to retrieve location information. I had to drive back home (30 minutes away) and another 30 minutes later I analyzed those logs. This is why I suggested to 3DR several times to make this information available in Solo App (last known latitude, longitude, altitude), it can't be that hard to implement, there shouldn't be any need loading log files from controller by Solo App, the app works with this information live during any flight so all they need to do is to keep last known data available to display in the app. If I knew the exact last known location while I was still there, I would've made an effort to find it (it was still 1 hour before it got dark).

here is the flight path (ignore the line on the right, that's the actual point where Solo landed on flight no.2 and my path walking with Solo in my hand back to the launch point, it wasn't actually flying there, I just left the battery on), the actual flight path of the flight no.3 is the line on the left :
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 8.07.55 pm.jpg Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 8.08.44 pm.jpg

some data from the logs :
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 11.22.55 pm.png

I actually don't know what happened but the above screenshot shows the violent roll & pitch data when the Solo started swinging around.
If anyone wants to dig in the Tlog for this flight, it's attached as well, just keep in mind the actual flight starts at 6:30, all the data before that is when the Solo landed after flight no.2 and my path walking with it back to launch point.

If you find something that I missed or anything wrong with my assumption where/how the Solo was descending between RTL and loss of signal and my assumption that it should be within very narrow radius of the last known location, please let me know.

There were reports in the past by others who lost Solo same way - when descending below the altitude of launch point, I don't know if that is in anyway related, either way I'm submitting logs to 3DR as well.

Weather forecast for tomorrow is 70% chance of rain, bloody hell.

Attachments

• solo.tlog.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Very sorry to hear of this Pete! My only suggestion (and what I do) is any time you see or feel that Solo (or any other MR) is acting different than expected while in Fly mode, go immediately to stabilize or manual mode. This takes much of the automation offline so to speak. If you are in Fly mode and it's not responding or flying as it should, using RTH or Pause is using the same mode you are in already and having trouble with.

I hope you are able to get to the location and find that it landed and is in good shape. If you get a chance, post the Tlog for us. (I don't see them in your post) It give us a chance to learn and maybe offer some analysis. Your suggestion of being able to retrieve location data in the field is spot on and I hope it gets implemented.

Good Luck!

Very sorry to hear of this Pete! My only suggestion (and what I do) is any time you see or feel that Solo (or any other MR) is acting different than expected while in Fly mode, go immediately to stabilize or manual mode. This takes much of the automation offline so to speak. If you are in Fly mode and it's not responding or flying as it should, using RTH or Pause is using the same mode you are in already and having trouble with.

I hope you are able to get to the location and find that it landed and is in good shape. If you get a chance, post the Tlog for us. (I don't see them in your post) It give us a chance to learn and maybe offer some analysis. Your suggestion of being able to retrieve location data in the field is spot on and I hope it gets implemented.

Good Luck!

I have uploaded the Tlog 5 minutes after my post, it's there now.

yep, while driving back home and thinking about it, I thought I should've hit that A button (my Fly:manual) instead of RTL, but it just happened so quickly, I had 3 seconds to process the information what to do, I hit RTL and 3 seconds later I no longer had signal to do anything else.
I hate myself for not pressing "A" instead of Return Home.

Hey Pete,

question:
Were you able to see the Solo at the very end of flight? It appears that it went into RTH about 7 seconds before contact was lost. Hard to tell but it looks like maybe it hit something during the RTH?

last time I saw it was somewhere about here, where the yellow X cross is.
once it left that background of the beach and ocean it was difficult to follow with the dark background, but then if it descended further down I wouldn't be able to see it, those bushes below the "X" are just in front of a cliff, so the Solo would be descending behind that cliff, in fact on the last known location map it looks like it was descending much further away (maybe 100+ meters) yet beyond another cliff which is further away and further below.

IMG_0991-001.JPG

I'll check again on my APM 2 Planner, but from there I was seeing data telling me that I lost signal 3 seconds after it went RTL.

I don't think there was anything to hit before it got to the ground.

Other than that, the location I posted in my first post is where I should look for the Solo ?

Sorry to hear of your problems. Although these cases are rare, I dread loosing my Solo. I always use the Marco Polo tracker on my Solo. I had it on my Iris+ and feel more secure with it on the Solo. No GPS, cell service or subscription required.

Hope you find your Solo and 3DR comes back with the cause (for us all to learn from).

@pete approx how many flying hours do you have on this Solo?
I hate reading stories like this, but it is important that people do post them as it will help others.
To me, you got a warning on flight 2, any uncontrolled happenings (on any RPAS) should be investigated and solved prior to going out at distance again.
I hope your story ultimately has a happy ending.

Last edited:
I hate to sound like an ass at this crappy time. But flying out over a cliff leading to the ocean as a test flight after experiencing serious loss of control problems was not very smart. After what it did on flight #2, the correct answer would be to pack it in, look into the logs, and investigate further. Not fly out over a cliff to see if it happens again. At worst, test fly it in an open field with no obstructions or obstacles. At least you weren't flying around bystanders and only caused damage to the aircraft without personal injury. Please take this as a lesson learned.

I'll check again on my APM 2 Planner, but from there I was seeing data telling me that I lost signal 3 seconds after it went RTL.

@Jubalr
I tried to replay the logfile on APM 2, I get a different timeline every time, sometimes it doesn't end, sometimes it goes to over 30 minutes and then it stops loading the X axis, other time it loads only 2 and half minutes.

first time I loaded it today it came up as 7 minutes.

either way, when I finally manage to load it even with a different timeline span, it still gives me that RTL was initiated exactly 30 seconds after launch and 3 seconds later the signal was lost.

If you see anything else, please let me know. What I'm trying to determine is what was the Lat,Lon and Alt at the time of RTL, and Lat,Lon,Alt at the time of lost of signal. decent between those 2 points (36m) which is giving descend rate of 12m per second and I'm trying to determine Altitude above ground at the time of loss of signal which I only estimate to be about 30m. at the same descend rate it should've come to ground in 3 seconds.
relative horizontal position (between the two GPS points) was only 2m (it shifted 2m heading SW) in that 36m drop, so I'm only assuming another 30m to the ground (I'm hoping) would not shift further than by another 2m.

If you are getting different values (time between RTL and loss of signal), different altitude and different rate of descent, please let me know.

Have to go to bed now, i'll be getting up in next 4 hours with the sunrise, hopefully for a better day.

I hate to sound like an ass at this crappy time. But flying out over a cliff leading to the ocean as a test flight after experiencing serious loss of control problems was not very smart. After what it did on flight #2, the correct answer would be to pack it in, look into the logs, and investigate further. Not fly out over a cliff to see if it happens again. At worst, test fly it in an open field with no obstructions or obstacles. At least you weren't flying around bystanders and only caused damage to the aircraft without personal injury. Please take this as a lesson learned.

maybe yes, but it wasn't my intention to fly all the way to the beach on this flight, I had just over 40% battery left, test flight was to hover above me then go forward 100m, always LOS even if descending, I descended only 20m. there is a plateau behind first cliff, easy to recover if it landed there. but it seems it went further 20m behind plateau and behind second cliff. can't think of better location in my area for a test flight. we can't fly in areas with buildings and structures, ideally you would want to go to tall building and fly down towards a football field, we can't do this in Australia anyway.
1st flight was down to the beach, did fly across the beach and back up towards launch, all fine
2nd flight down towards beach again no problem, only when coming back (ascending) it landed 40m in front of me.
3rd flight was first time of these flights it had trouble while descending

My Solo acted erratically a while back:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In this video it was all over the place after takeoff. Solo went into RTH then drifted West, I was able to get it in manual and fight it to the ground. The logs showed erratic gyro behavior and the FC was replaced.

Any thought to bringing another drone out to get a bird's eye view of the area it went down?

Good Luck!
I bought a Marco Polo RC locator because the same thing happened to me. When I finally got crash response from 3dr the location was about 30 feet from actual

Haven't had the issue myself yet, but those who have had a motor go out maybe chime in. Any chance that it's a bad motor, since it was heading straight down and behaving so erratically. That's my only real fear now flying my solo, the flyaways are few and far between from what I've seen here, but pod failures seem to be a bit more common. I'm assuming that this would likely be in the log even on the first problem flight, but just trying to think what could of caused this if it's not obvious in the logs.

I too had an oh $h/1 moment early on with solo and it happened so fast I hadn't trained myself to hit manual yet. It only ended in a bit of a rough landing though thankfully. Happened just after release I think it was a brief gps glitch, but I know what ya mean about things happening fast.

Anyway good luck, hope you find your bird.

Sorry to here you Solo went off on its own and crashed.... That sucks. I did some flying by Niagara Falls and descended a couple of hundred feet below my start point. I did not have any problems like that. Though, it was strange that my altitude reading on my controller was at zero any time I went below my start altitude.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig