ESC Endplay

Reaction score
I posed this in the Solo Mod Group but would be very interested in your input as well.

I did a flip after landing. The bird was all goofy seeins the credit card message had already been announced. My bad. Really windy and I was in manual and it took longer than I expected to get her down. No damage, flew three sorties after a level calibration. Noticed a different whine and after closer inspection found the 04 pod had about .002 endplay. Spins the same, typical magnetic bumps on rotation. What say you? Should I can it? Maybe press the bottom bearing back in place? Or ignore the endplay.

Out of an abundance of caution, I'd at a minimum replace the bearings. Though the whole pod might be easier, honestly.

I don't understand "esc endplay". Motor run-out? In either case, 5" out from the hub what does that .002" look like? Not good.

Could have a bent shaft, that 1/8" shaft is minimal. Top bearing takes the impact in a crash, the source of the noise.

Shafts are available, as are bearings...save yourself grief, swap out the motor pod.

I don't understand "esc endplay". Motor run-out? In either case, 5" out from the hub what does that .002" look like? Not good.

Could have a bent shaft, that 1/8" shaft is minimal. Top bearing takes the impact in a crash, the source of the noise.

Shafts are available, as are bearings...save yourself grief, swap out the motor pod.
Hey Rich, By end play I meant lateral (up and down) which I believe you correctly describe as "run out" vs bearing slop or wobble for a better way of putting it.

So in the end as you can see my inquiry didn't seem to attract much attention. At $30 for a complete Pod I guess I can see why. I did decide to replace the pod. With nothing to loose I dug into the "sloppy" one I described above. Found the bottom e-clip flopping around in the groove. For shits and giggles I loosened the set screw and tapped the prop hub back down. And seemed to eliminate the end play. Does anyone know what size allen wrench the hub set screw is?
Pod Motor.jpg

Attachments

• Pod Motor.jpg
    Pod Motor.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 15

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig