Erratic flight/crash on first time trying Tower

Reaction score
I decided to try out Tower for the first time today. When I took off, the Solo began flying very erratically, with lots of oscillation and not able to maintain level. I wasn't able to bring it down without flipping over and breaking props. I went ahead and tried a second flight with the same results.

I was taking off in Fly:Manual both times. Is it possible that Tower did something to cause this? What else can cause such screwed up flight? I had just done a level calibration, so maybe that got messed up?

I'm not a routine Tower user, but have lots of experience with Mission Planner.
Sounds like your PID settings got changed somehow. Can you verify that they are correct?
Can you fly it normally without Tower in the loop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: droneswag420blazeit
I forgot to mention that for the second flight, I had restarted the tablet and launched only the 3DR App. It had the same results. I was afraid it might have changed something like the PID settings, but I'm not too familiar with how that stuff works. How would you go about verifying them?

BTW I just did a factory reset (and uninstalled Tower out of rage lol), so I imagine the most I can do at this point is verify the default PID settings and then test fly again.

I forgot to mention that for the second flight, I had restarted the tablet and launched only the 3DR App. It had the same results. I was afraid it might have changed something like the PID settings, but I'm not too familiar with how that stuff works. How would you go about verifying them?

BTW I just did a factory reset (and uninstalled Tower out of rage lol), so I imagine the most I can do at this point is verify the default PID settings and then test fly again.
It's my understanding that a factory reset will not reset all those setting to default. Can any experts confirm?

A factory reset does not reset the parameters. You will instead need to do a parameter reset to get the parameters back to factory. in Tower, change the parameter SYSID_SW_MREV to zero and reboot.

A factory reset does not reset the parameters. You will instead need to do a parameter reset to get the parameters back to factory. in Tower, change the parameter SYSID_SW_MREV to zero and reboot.

Is this resetting back to Solo specific values, or some type of generic values? I ask because it feels like tower caused this in the first place.

Are there default values for some parameters that I can check before I reset just to see if this is the problem at all?

Is this resetting back to Solo specific values, or some type of generic values? I ask because it feels like tower caused this in the first place.

Are there default values for some parameters that I can check before I reset just to see if this is the problem at all?
These will be Solo specific values as it was when it was new. You won't hurt anything by using the reset, and it will only confirm if something got changed.

These will be Solo specific values as it was when it was new. You won't hurt anything by using the reset, and it will only confirm if something got changed.

Thanks for the help. Is there any way to actually confirm if anything changed on the reset? Are there some important parameters that could cause this erratic behavior that I could check before and after reset? I'm asking because my only way to test is to fly it, which was was pretty much an auto-crash yesterday.

Well I think it is highly unlikely using Tower had anything to do with it. It doesn't change anything unless you literally try very specifically to change specific parameters. It is impossible to happen by accident.

My hypothesis would be that your compass and level calibration was way out of whack.

Do the parameter reset. Then do a level calibration. Then do a compass calibration in an open area outdoors away from buildings, cars, and other magnetic interference. It will likely be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44