EKF Flyaway, not recoverable

The creek/Fall is like a valley............

Aussie AZ flight - v1.JPG

Aussie AZ flight - v2.JPG

Aussie AZ flight - v3.JPG

Have u found your Solo ?

SPP,
Thanks mate. I was unable to find it last Sunday.
The area that the last GPS signal was shown is very steep (more than 50 degrees from horizontal), covered in mesquite trees, loose gravel, cat claw, shin daggers and other prickly dessert plants and boulders. At the bottom of all that is a fast running creek at the moment. We have also had 2 monsoon storms since then. I was unable to locate with binoculars on the hill/cliff and a search of the creek area turned up nothing.
3DR asked for the logs from the controller so sent them on Tuesday. Still waiting to hear back.
I'll keep you guys updated.

Aussie

Well, it's been a week and a half since I sent my trouble ticket and I am yet to hear back from 3DR help desk. I also did a follow up email a few days ago.
Does any one know if 3DR help desk is still in business?

Aussie

I submitted a trouble ticket last week about some silliness I was experiencing, and heard back two days later from one of their techs.

Be the squeaky wheel. Call of you can get a good number.

Wish you luck in all of this.

Update,
Apparently the ticket I sent was assigned to a tech, whom I have dealt with before and is very courteous, knowledgeable and professional, but marked as closed for some reason. He got back to me this afternoon.
Here is what he was able to pull from the controller logs.

"To sum it up, you lost gps signal and 2 seconds later lost rc signal.
The failsafe for loss of gps puts the copter in altitude hold (fly:manual) and the failsafe for rc signal loss is RTL given it has gps signal or falls back on LAND in case the copter does not have gps.
Technically this wasn't a fly away given a flyaway, at least in my experience, consists of a copter speeding up in a particular direction and often also rising in altitude brought upon by bad sensor readings.
What you have experienced is a combination of two scenarios pulling together in a small window which led to a lost copter"

The good news is they will be sending me a replacement Solo and GoPro!!!

I am so glad I went with this brand. They have been excellent in past and I wasn't disappointed this time either.

I just want to say thanks for all the comments, help and tech support you guys gave me in my "time of need" so to speak.
Cheers
Aussie

Reactions: Mauiwind
Glad they're replacing it. It doesn't look like this is an area would suffer GPS problems unless you were down in that valley close to the terrain along side. Were you far away or otherwise obstructed to cause the control signal to be lost?

Also it could be intersesting for all Solo user that you publish the log file, not the Tlog.
The log file give a lot of interesting informations.

Your Tlog show a "bad ahrs" during initialization.
That could be a moving Solo durinf initialization; Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the dataflash logs are not stored on the controller. Unless the solo is recovered, we won't be able to look at the detailed dataflash log.

Yes, true, I forget that.

Regarding again the TLog, I saw that the 3DR was not level during the startup (not good at all for me).
And during the flight, he get a EKF error on the Horiz Position .........

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.png
    2.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 25
Playing back my t-logs from yesterday when Solo appeared to be experiencing a failing motor pod I see that I received a bad AHRS error. This is on a copter that has only been flown a couple dozen times. Most of the flights have been surveys produced in Mission Planner and executed in tower. Any ideas based on the attached tlogs? I also noticed there was an EKF error on the Horiz Position.

I am curious if I should contact 3DR Support based on the tlogs? I actually fly this in a sensitive area and have grounded the copter until I can get to the bottom of the issues and re-test the copter offsite. Fortunately we have two backup Solos that are performing flawlessly. Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. This Solo has the upgraded mRobotics gps module installed with the 3DR GPS shield.

P.S.S. Just found the following which seems like there is an issue with the copter's compass or GPS. Given it's an mRobotics gps I suppose I might switch back the old gps module and test things again to be sure it's not the gps. I am also going to run a compass calibration to see if that clears up the issues. Still curious if anybody has any thoughts on the tlogs.

Adjusting sensitivity or disabling the check
The DCM and EKF check and failsafe can be disabled by setting the DCM_CHECK_THRESH or EKF_CHECK_THRESH to “0” through the Mission Planner’s Config/Tuning >> Full Parameter List. Alternatively it can be made less sensitive by increasing this parameter from 0.8 to 0.9 or 1.0. The downside of increasing this parameter’s value is that during a flyaway caused by a bad compass or GPS glitching, the vehicle will fly further away before the vehicle is automatically switched to LAND mode.

Attachments

• 2016-11-23_1_solo.tlog.jpg
    2016-11-23_1_solo.tlog.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44