Drotek GPS Bracket

Reaction score
Here's a quick GPS bracket I whipped up to mount a Drotek M8N in place of the Solo's unit with it's odd screw pattern. I wasn't comfortable holding it with just one screw, so made this to let me use 3.

There's recesses so the original screw heads don't touch the new GPS, and 3 screws is more than enough for the weight they're carrying.

If people are interested, I can whip up a STL file to 3D print, I cut this on my CNC machine because it's more accurate, but for this, a 3D printer would be fine.

Just thought I'd share.

solo-gps-bracket-jpg.3251

Attachments

• Solo GPS Bracket.jpg
    Solo GPS Bracket.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 307
Very interresting but could you tell us a little bit more about cabling and result.
By the way, ok if you may give us a stl file.
:)

I haven't made up a cable yet. The Drotek has a JST-SH connector, the Solo has a Clik-Mate. I ordered some Clik-Mate connectors but haven't gotten them yet. But it's pretty straight forward, you just wire + to +, GND to GND, RX to TX and TX to RX. There's little pads on the Solo's GPS that you can trace to the wires with a meter.

I'll create an STL and post it on Thingiverse as soon as I can.

Here's a quick GPS bracket I whipped up to mount a Drotek M8N in place of the Solo's unit with it's odd screw pattern. I wasn't comfortable holding it with just one screw, so made this to let me use 3.

There's recesses so the original screw heads don't touch the new GPS, and 3 screws is more than enough for the weight they're carrying.

If people are interested, I can whip up a STL file to 3D print, I cut this on my CNC machine because it's more accurate, but for this, a 3D printer would be fine.

Just thought I'd share.

Nice Mod, thanks for the share! Question...
You wouldn't want to make another one, would you?
I'm sure we could work something out as far compensation is concerned. :)

Ok, for people without access to a 3D printer, post if you'd be interested in one of these just so I can get an idea of how many there'd be to make. It's almost no additional work to cut multiples all at once, and for the pittance anyone would be willing to pay for something so simple, I'd just want to avoid doing all the setup for each one.

Reactions: J R and RichWest
Ok, for people without access to a 3D printer, post if you'd be interested in one of these just so I can get an idea of how many there'd be to make. It's almost no additional work to cut multiples all at once, and for the pittance anyone would be willing to pay for something so simple, I'd just want to avoid doing all the setup for each one.

User,

You've got me already. I'm in.

Jerry

I'd be good for 2

I am in as well, how do we do this? I would like to pay you something for your trouble also. PM me (us) when your ready. Thanks!

Is there any place in north america i can buy a Genuine Drotek M8N GPS?
thx

If there is, I couldn't find one. I just ordered directly from them, shipping didn't take too long and the cost was pretty reasonable. I just had it sent US Postal Service

So far it doesn't seem like there will be that many to make, which is good. Let me figure out the cable thing, I have some connectors in the mail, I'd just need to pick up some colored wire. Let's give it a week to see how many people want them and then I'll order what I need and bang them out.

Reactions: Doug Benson and J R
Hi guys, so here's what I have on the bracket. It looks like there's only 5, which is good, because they're way more time and effort than I could justifiably charge for. Here's what I'm thinking will cover all that someone would need:

The bracket, which you can use the stock screws to attach to the cover. I tapped the bracket for M3 screws and will send 3 nylon screws. These will save weight and be less metal around the GPS to avoid potential interference. A few strips of copper foil tape (I only have 30mm, so you'll have to overlap, best to do it over wax paper or something), and a template to cut out a new copper shield. There's a 36mm x 36mm square in the template that you can use to insulate the foil from shorting anything on the GPS. And the cable, I'll wire the Solo end and crimp the connectors on the GPS end but leave them loose and just send a JST-SH connector housing so you can assemble it for your particular GPS. If your GPS has a compass, it may break the compass out on it's own connector, or it might include that with the GPS in one 6 pin connector, so I'll just send two - a 4 pin and a 6 pin housing. You won't use the compass on the GPS, if it has one, for the Solo.

I have some wire for the cables on order, it'll take a week or two to get here from China. I couldn't find any suppliers in the US that would sell multi-color wire in anything less than 1000 meters or something like that.

Give me your thoughts on price, not looking to really make much, material costs are pretty low it's really just the time.

bracket-jpg.3371

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: RichWest
Nice job!!! :)
Do you modify de setup of the Drotek GPS?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado