Drift-Land-FLIP?

Del, 1st thing is to map a key to Manual mode and use it. I recommend switching to manual mode on every landing. When it get's 6-10' high, hit manual, bring it down your self then hold the left stick down AND to the left corner to kill the motors. While in a perfect world you wouldn't have to do this, there is nothing but good in learning to fly manual mode, which is also called 'Altitude Hold'. It would have saved every example you provided and likely more in the future.

Just my .02 opinion, and still flying the original props since June when I received Solo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for the video, makes it soooo much eadier to understand! Thanks again!

Thanks for the video, makes it soooo much eadier to understand! Thanks again!
Glad it helped you out! Unfortunately there is a lot of misconceptions on the flight modes and GPS by some newer pilots. With a little practice and understanding of the modes, I think a lot of early problems and frustrations could be avoided.

Fly Safe...
Jubal

Glad it helped you out! Unfortunately there is a lot of misconceptions on the flight modes and GPS by some newer pilots. With a little practice and understanding of the modes, I think a lot of early problems and frustrations could be avoided.

Fly Safe...
Jubal

Yes, keep them coming! At the least it gives a chance to rethink how we fly. Agree that the community as a whole improves!!

Clean flying, captivating video...helps the community of pilots as a whole..to say nothing of improving on the, death from above, destroy my freedom by spying on me group think!

Hey Del,

Yes, down and to the left is a motor kill command left from the previous Pixhawk 1 and APM controllers from 3DR. Be careful with Stabilize mode, and it is less controlled than manual (altitude hold). Stabilize is even more 'manual' than manual mode and comparable to traditional non GPS MR flight experience. It's a lot of fun, just remember that the left stick is an actual true throttle control now and is unrelated to your altitude. In the Solo manual mode, the left stick controls altitude; leave the stick in the middle and it will try to hold altitude. Raising or lowering the stick is telling it to climb/descend.

In stabilize, you are controlling RPMs of the motors. If you want to see the difference, just give it full throttle in stabilize mode even for a second, and it will shoot up very fast compared to manual.

Have fun...

Edit.. I also wanted to mention that the drifting you were seeing in a hover is a typical symptom of needing to do a compass calibration.
Awesome tip!
I think for now I'll just use the Manual mode for a long while to get really use to it before stepping up to the stabilize mode !

And I'm also glad you mention the Compass calibration...because that was also running threw my Head...I havint done a calibration since the day I got my solo ..about 2 month ago ! I read somewhere that you should do a calibration at least once a month or every 2 weeks to keep it up to par?

So mabe the drifting and disoriented hovering I was experiencing today could be the results of a lost compass calibration ..
Im just waiting for my gimbal from B&H...its shipped and in transit ...thinking it should be here tomorrow !
After I install the Gimbal .. then all do a Compass calibration right after before I go out flying again and hopefully that will solve my drifting issue !

I had a similar crash like that the other day when the solo drifted under tree canopy and lost GPS and went down the block . I forgot to hit manual and instead I tried to wrestle with it while she was in GPS mode which obviously wasn't a good idea while under a tree. My landing was pretty much exactly like your landing .....flipped over . I think the logic in the software that tells the solo that it's upside down takes way too long. It looks like it's upside down for at least a second or two befor the motors cut off. I wonder if there's any cons to setting that to happen sooner rather than later. I don't see how the drone under normal operating conditions would be affected by an aggressive shutdown if it's orientation was upside down

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Del, 1st thing is to map a key to Manual mode and use it. I recommend switching to manual mode on every landing. When it get's 6-10' high, hit manual, bring it down your self then hold the left stick down AND to the left corner to kill the motors. While in a perfect world you wouldn't have to do this, there is nothing but good in learning to fly manual mode, which is also called 'Altitude Hold'. It would have saved every example you provided and likely more in the future.

Just my .02 opinion, and still flying the original props since June when I received Solo.

Great and useful video. Thanks for making and sharing this.

Hey Del,

Edit.. I also wanted to mention that the drifting you were seeing in a hover is a typical symptom of needing to do a compass calibration.

I have never been promoted to do a calibration on the compass as I have with the level. I have noticed that I am getting more drifting each time i go out. I will see if this will work to bring it back in to a more stable hold.

Thanks for the tip...

Funny thing...
After reading this thread, I realized that I've been flying on manual almost all the time! Never even realized it - the only time I don't is when I (rarely) use selfie, cable cam or orbit, and I've just been hitting fly every time afterwards. Strange, I wondered why the Solo wasn't fighting me when I landed manually!

Funny thing...
After reading this thread, I realized that I've been flying on manual almost all the time! Never even realized it - the only time I don't is when I (rarely) use selfie, cable cam or orbit, and I've just been hitting fly every time afterwards. Strange, I wondered why the Solo wasn't fighting me when I landed manually!
So how do u know that your in Manual mode... Is it telling you on your on your controller ? Did you phisacly change it in the Setting to Fly:manual?
I was thinking for the longest time that if I hit the fly bottom that I was in Manual mode..!! But reading and asking questions I finally found out there is a deference between Gps manual.. And Fly:Manual!!

Awesome tip!
I think for now I'll just use the Manual mode for a long while to get really use to it before stepping up to the stabilize mode !

And I'm also glad you mention the Compass calibration...because that was also running threw my Head...I havint done a calibration since the day I got my solo ..about 2 month ago ! I read somewhere that you should do a calibration at least once a month or every 2 weeks to keep it up to par?

So mabe the drifting and disoriented hovering I was experiencing today could be the results of a lost compass calibration ..
Im just waiting for my gimbal from B&H...its shipped and in transit ...thinking it should be here tomorrow !
After I install the Gimbal .. then all do a Compass calibration right after before I go out flying again and hopefully that will solve my drifting issue !
Glad you're getting your gimbal. Installed mine yesterday with out a hitch. First videos were a stable as can be and showed me I really need to work on setting up shots. Good luck with your install.

Funny thing...
Not sure what you are referring to. You aren't flying manual unless you specifically put it in manual each time with the A or B preset to manual. 'Fly' mode is not manual.

That's what I meant - I was under the impression that hitting Fly switched it back to GPS.

Glad you're getting your gimbal. Installed mine yesterday with out a hitch. First videos were a stable as can be and showed me I really need to work on setting up shots. Good luck with your install.
Thanks @Rsfitz
I got my Gimbal today .. But I haven't had a chance to install it yet.. It came in right before I had to go to work..! But I will be installing it when I get home around Midnight.. I hope I have the same luck as you on installing it with out a hitch..

OK guys... I'm thoroughly confused. How about aligning the terminology? Stabilize, GPS, manual, etc. Obviously there are several terms for the same thing although there are only two modes we're speaking of.
Yeah, when you're teaching another person it would be helpful to not confuse the students. In YOUR mind you understand, but that's not the point of teaching, is it?

OK guys... I'm thoroughly confused. How about aligning the terminology? Stabilize, GPS, manual, etc. Obviously there are several terms for the same thing although there are only two modes we're speaking of.
Yeah, when you're teaching another person it would be helpful to not confuse the students. In YOUR mind you understand, but that's not the point of teaching, is it?
This has helped a few folks out...

Reactions: Mitchell Gerdes
Just had the exact same issue, only it was on concrete. damaged all the blades, and the auto off feature did not initiate. I had to pick it up while upside down and violently vibrating, Then had to risk my knuckles to manually shut it down cause nothing else was working. Frame was cracked, i think from the vibrating while i was trying to shut it down. I have sent a trouble ticket to 3DR. Curious to hear what they have to say.

Just had the exact same issue, only it was on concrete. damaged all the blades, and the auto off feature did not initiate. I had to pick it up while upside down and violently vibrating, Then had to risk my knuckles to manually shut it down cause nothing else was working. Frame was cracked, i think from the vibrating while i was trying to shut it down. I have sent a trouble ticket to 3DR. Curious to hear what they have to say.
Sorry to hear about your Bird Rick.! Yours took more damage then mine! I was able to dust mine off and Take off again!!
Hopefully 3DR can help you out..
I still don't know why mine did what it did also..its like my Solo was very disoriented while hovering.. Then that's when the shit hit the Fan when I went to land!
But after it happened...I went home and did a level and compass calibration and the problem never happened again...so far!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44