Downloading Maps with the Solo App

Many times in the field when flying, you don't have an Internet connection. You can pre-download maps in the Solo App and use them later without an Internet connection. However, you can't pre-download maps from Google. You need to use maps from Mapbox (which most are Google maps anyway).

This short video shows how to download maps from Mapbox in the Solo App.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thank you for this! It's incredibly frustrating to not be able to readily / intuitively download maps for offline use, this was really helpful.

- R

is it correct to assume if I'm on iOS device and have no internet connectivity then I cannot use Orbit ?
will the app still allow me to set up Orbit on an empty map (map window will no load and probably stay blank but I could still make an educated guess where to allocate center point) or simply app won't allow me to assign a center point when map is not loaded due to being in remote area with no cellular coverage ?

quite honestly I don't understand why Orbit was implemented this way (with a need of a map), same logic as MPCC might have been used :
- fly to your desired center point, press A
- fly away from the center point, press B
- A to be B distance is your radius

why do we need live maps for this ?
That's what I did (Orbit blind with guesstimate, watching VERY carefully during execution) - from @JR's post above though I think the app clears the map cache per session. I fly with an iPad mini, so based on his advice I'll try running the 3DR app, switching to my phone's hotspot and download the maps for where I am at that time, then switch wireless back to the controller leaving that instance of the 3DR software open the whole time and see if the app will hold on to the map for the duration of the flight.

- R

Hi, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 10". It is a high end tablet and works great, but is more expensive than other brands.models. I'm sure the 8" would be better sized for the controller, but I like the larger screen and use this tablet for other tasks.

The downloaded map tile will be what you see on your screen. Just save a screen, move and zoom in/out and save again. Whatever you see on the screen will be saved. You can save numerous maps (as much memory as you have) and you won't automatically delete any saved maps. Clearing the map cache will delete ALL saved maps.

I also have a 10.1" Samsung tab I would love to use. Would you mind sharing how you got your 10" tablet to mount to the solo controller?

I made this modification to hold my Samsung 10". Open the holder (2 screws) and you will find something like my picture. You just need to drill 2 news (red) holes to increase the grip.
Be carefull to place this holder with the 3DR logo up side down to prevent falling.

Attachments

• Mod.jpg
    Mod.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Jake J
I made this modification to hold my Samsung 10". Open the holder (2 screws) and you will find something like my picture. You just need to drill 2 news (red) holes to increase the grip.
Be carefull to place this holder with the 3DR logo up side down to prevent falling.
No kidding.. great mod, thank you for the tip!

- R

Oh that's great. much simpler mod than I was thinking. Thanks!

That's what I did (Orbit blind with guesstimate, watching VERY carefully during execution) - from @JR's post above though I think the app clears the map cache per session. I fly with an iPad mini, so based on his advice I'll try running the 3DR app, switching to my phone's hotspot and download the maps for where I am at that time, then switch wireless back to the controller leaving that instance of the 3DR software open the whole time and see if the app will hold on to the map for the duration of the flight.

- R

so yes, I tried to Orbit yesterday with no cellular coverage and obviously instead of the map you get blank tile (iOS device), you can guesstimate the center point as you mentioned but there are other work-arounds :
a) if you want the Solo to do the Orbit around you then you just need to align the bull-eye center with the blue dot (= your location), you can do this obviously even on the invisible map, then press A to save the center of the Orbit
b) if you want to Orbit some other landmark that is away from your location, then you can still fly to that landmark (I suggest pointing camera down to easily find center of the landmark) and when Solo gets there you know it's above your intended center. Then on the invisible map you can align the bull-eye center with the Solo icon (that's the encircled green arrow) and press A to save the center of the Orbit, then move your right stick UP to fly the Solo away from the center point to whatever distance you desire (you can also use the left stick to change altitude) and once you are happy with your setup start the Orbit smart shot.
note: with the work-around (b) sometimes I find the Solo is "fighting me" when trying to fly away from the center point (it's trying to stay there), other times it works just fine, go figure.

other thing that bothers me is the fact that it seems there is an altitude limit of 50m when using Orbit smart shot, I don't know why, my max altitude limit is set to 120m. I didn't find this in any documentation but it seems the Orbit is limited to 50m altitude, under options for Orbit smart shot you can only change cruising speed but not the altitude limit. I don't get why they have 50m limit when my altitude limit in general settings is 120m. it's quite dangerous if you don't know about it. in one of my earlier attempts I nearly crashed simply because I didn't know Solo has descended to 50m - you can easily overlook this : I was trying to do Orbit around my house, we live on a property that's on a slope, my launch point is at the bottom of the slope in front of the house, there are trees on the top side of the hill on the opposite side (behind the house), these trees are taller than 30m but they are more than 50m above my launch point. I know this so before I set up my Orbit, I sent Solo to 80m, then I set up the Orbit and started it, I didn't know that during this time Solo descended to 50m from my intended 80m, I only noticed it last minute as Solo was heading into the trees on the other side, I had to quickly abort the smart shot to avoid the crash.

is it correct to assume if I'm on iOS device and have no internet connectivity then I cannot use Orbit ?
will the app still allow me to set up Orbit on an empty map (map window will no load and probably stay blank but I could still make an educated guess where to allocate center point) or simply app won't allow me to assign a center point when map is not loaded due to being in remote area with no cellular coverage ?

quite honestly I don't understand why Orbit was implemented this way (with a need of a map), same logic as MPCC might have been used :
- fly to your desired center point, press A
- fly away from the center point, press B
- A to be B distance is your radius

why do we need live maps for this ?
I use an iPad mini 2 with no Internet connection. I have been able to cache some maps, and they come up when I swipe right to left on the Orbit setup screen. (BTW you will see the FPV view in a picture in picture, upper left. Toggle between map view and FPV view by tapping in the picture) I used Orbit without maps, too. So you don't have to have an Internet connection to use Orbit. But the whole damn Orbit setup is screwy, and it is no fun fighting with the Orbit screen while the drone is 100' in the air waiting for you. I also have trouble setting the Orbit center point. Also, the orbit center can wander a bit with wind. I made a short video of two orbits, one with a short radius and the second with a long radius. It is at
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(1080p @ 30 fps on Hero4 Silver) Biggest problem with orbit for me is that on a long radius I can't judge height on the far segment of the circle. I recommend flying to any obstacle that might be in the orbit and descending to a comfortable height to "measure" the light pole, tower, tree, etc.

Reactions: Benzo
so yes, I tried to Orbit yesterday with no cellular coverage and obviously instead of the map you get blank tile (iOS device), you can guesstimate the center point as you mentioned but there are other work-arounds :
a) if you want the Solo to do the Orbit around you then you just need to align the bull-eye center with the blue dot (= your location), you can do this obviously even on the invisible map, then press A to save the center of the Orbit
b) if you want to Orbit some other landmark that is away from your location, then you can still fly to that landmark (I suggest pointing camera down to easily find center of the landmark) and when Solo gets there you know it's above your intended center. Then on the invisible map you can align the bull-eye center with the Solo icon (that's the encircled green arrow) and press A to save the center of the Orbit, then move your right stick UP to fly the Solo away from the center point to whatever distance you desire (you can also use the left stick to change altitude) and once you are happy with your setup start the Orbit smart shot.
note: with the work-around (b) sometimes I find the Solo is "fighting me" when trying to fly away from the center point (it's trying to stay there), other times it works just fine, go figure.

other thing that bothers me is the fact that it seems there is an altitude limit of 50m when using Orbit smart shot, I don't know why, my max altitude limit is set to 120m. I didn't find this in any documentation but it seems the Orbit is limited to 50m altitude, under options for Orbit smart shot you can only change cruising speed but not the altitude limit. I don't get why they have 50m limit when my altitude limit in general settings is 120m. it's quite dangerous if you don't know about it. in one of my earlier attempts I nearly crashed simply because I didn't know Solo has descended to 50m - you can easily overlook this : I was trying to do Orbit around my house, we live on a property that's on a slope, my launch point is at the bottom of the slope in front of the house, there are trees on the top side of the hill on the opposite side (behind the house), these trees are taller than 30m but they are more than 50m above my launch point. I know this so before I set up my Orbit, I sent Solo to 80m, then I set up the Orbit and started it, I didn't know that during this time Solo descended to 50m from my intended 80m, I only noticed it last minute as Solo was heading into the trees on the other side, I had to quickly abort the smart shot to avoid the crash.

These.. are really interesting findings..? I've not received my replacement HDMI cable yet so I'm grounded, I'm eager to get back up there so I can check this out and see if I see the same thing..? Thanks for posting this!

- R

I use an iPad mini 2 with no Internet connection. I have been able to cache some maps, and they come up when I swipe right to left on the Orbit setup screen.

ok, but on iOS you can only retrieve cached maps that you used on previous flights ? you cannot cache a map of a location that's 1000 miles away that you plan to visit next month ? on Android apparently you can do this.
btw. nice neighborhood, also seems like you have more relaxed rules, over here we aren't allowed to fly over neighbour's property.

These.. are really interesting findings..? I've not received my replacement HDMI cable yet so I'm grounded, I'm eager to get back up there so I can check this out and see if I see the same thing..? Thanks for posting this!

btw. that second part of my post where I mentioned 50m limit when in Orbit mode, today it worked fine for me, I don't get it, I had this problem in the past when orbiting my house and yesterday same thing (I tried twice), today I did Orbit at 100m altitude and Solo did not descend. The only difference between yesterday and today was that today launched in Fly:manual, I don't see why this would be related, but weird things happen sometimes.
In another thread I posted how MPCC will stop in middle of the execution for no reason before reaching the end point (ie. stopping between points 3 and 4 out of 8), when I tried next day everything worked fine again. I don't get it. I reported the issue to 3DR, waiting for their response.

- R
It works alright - as long as you keep the app open you can switch to a different wireless, go back to the app and get the maps you need, then switch back to Solo wireless then back to the app, and the maps stay put.

I've been trying to figure this out for the longest time - Thank you for this one. :)

- R

Hi, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 10". It is a high end tablet and works great, but is more expensive than other brands.models. I'm sure the 8" would be better sized for the controller, but I like the larger screen and use this tablet for other tasks.

The downloaded map tile will be what you see on your screen. Just save a screen, move and zoom in/out and save again. Whatever you see on the screen will be saved. You can save numerous maps (as much memory as you have) and you won't automatically delete any saved maps. Clearing the map cache will delete ALL saved maps.

so if I zoomed out the map to view an entire city or country even it would download the whole thing and I would be able to use it for Solo app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks