Disable RTH/Assistance with Tower Settings for Boat Ops

Reaction score
I will be shooting some video off of a sailboat. Ideally I would like to take off from land so I have a good RTH point but that will not likely be possible. Since I can't disable RTH using Solo App on iOS, I am purchasing a Samsung Tab 4 for this shoot so I can use Tower.

1. What setting in Tower disables RTH or will allow Solo to hover only if it enters failsafe/disconnects from controller?
2. Can I see video streaming in Tower?
3. Can I use the Solo App at the same time as Tower?

Anyone else have tips for me before I risk this whole thing over water and a boat? Thanks!

You'll have to set two:

FS_GCS_ENABLE to 0 (disabled)
FS_THR_ENABLE to 0 (disabled)

The first one is for a loss of the telemetry link, the second is for the RC link, but I'm not sure you want to do this. There is no option for position hold, it's disabled, RTL, continue with mission (if in auto) or land. Disabling it will prevent the Solo from returning to the launch site and landing, but it'll leave solo to sail off in whatever direction it was heading prior to the loss of signal.

Unfortunately, there is no "execute mission" option that would kick it into auto mode and fly a mission. That way you'd be able to set a waypoint where you'd like it to go and land, and on loss of signal, it would just go there.

As to your other questions, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes to both.

Last edited:
If you watch this video starting at 40:40 he gets in how to disable the RTL for use with tower missions that are further away and result in a disconnect from the solo radio. This might be what you are looking for.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I will be shooting some video off of a sailboat. Ideally I would like to take off from land so I have a good RTH point but that will not likely be possible. Since I can't disable RTH using Solo App on iOS, I am purchasing a Samsung Tab 4 for this shoot so I can use Tower.

1. What setting in Tower disables RTH or will allow Solo to hover only if it enters failsafe/disconnects from controller?
2. Can I see video streaming in Tower?
3. Can I use the Solo App at the same time as Tower?

Anyone else have tips for me before I risk this whole thing over water and a boat? Thanks!
You Have another option available in Tower; You can just change the RTH to Return To Me. I have used it several times and it works well. Any condition that would trigger RTH still works, but it returns to where you (or the App/Controller) are located. As you move, the return point updates as well. As you move, about every minute Tower will speak 'New Home Point Received'.

You Have another option available in Tower; You can just change the RTH to Return To Me. I have used it several times and it works well. Any condition that would trigger RTH still works, but it returns to where you (or the App/Controller) are located. As you move, the return point updates as well. As you move, about every minute Tower will speak 'New Home Point Received'.
Wow, I think this is what I am looking for. The RTM function would seem to fit the bill. Does RTM cause solo to land once it gets to the new home location? Also, can I still fly in GPS "Fly" mode, watching the live video stream (thru tower or solo app) with this function enabled?

Wow, I think this is what I am looking for. The RTM function would seem to fit the bill. Does RTM cause solo to land once it gets to the new home location? Also, can I still fly in GPS "Fly" mode, watching the live video stream (thru tower or solo app) with this function enabled?
All it does is change the RTH location, so it has no other effect on anything else. All still works the same. I have always took control back once it is overhead. During the decent you can just switch to manual if you want or just raise the throttle stick to cancel the landing and remain in Fly mode.

This is what I mentioned on the FB page. Use Tower, and set 'Return To Me', then when/if it's landing, go to manual mode and land it yourself.

Be sure to practice with Return To Me before you get on a boat, you don't want to try this for the first time when you are surrounded by water!

Be aware that from a boat, the bigger issue will be that you may not be able to arm the Solo and fly it at all. If the Solo is moving in the slightest bit while you are initializing it, it won't be able to calibrate its sensors properly and won't allow the Solo's motors to be armed. So you won't be able to fly at all. I tried this from a boat myself, it is very frustrating! If you are lucky, it may allow you to arm and fly.

3DR has been hinting about a 'boat mode' to allow the Solo to be armed from a boat that may be rocking, or moving, but so far it's only been a hint.

I'd like them to also give some options for Return To Me to allow the Solo to hover at a specified altitude and wait for you to manually land it (or press the Land button), in case your boat has to position itself. This will also be useful when using Follow Me and you have driven to a new location and perhaps need to manually land the Solo when it executes a Return To Me because where you are located may not be the perfect spot for the Solo to auto land.

If everyone that thinks these are good ideas would send requests to 3DR, there may be a chance that we can get options like this implemented.

Reactions: Killboy and Dustin
This is what I mentioned on the FB page. Use Tower, and set 'Return To Me', then when/if it's landing, go to manual mode and land it yourself.

Be sure to practice with Return To Me before you get on a boat, you don't want to try this for the first time when you are surrounded by water!

Be aware that from a boat, the bigger issue will be that you may not be able to arm the Solo and fly it at all. If the Solo is moving in the slightest bit while you are initializing it, it won't be able to calibrate its sensors properly and won't allow the Solo's motors to be armed. So you won't be able to fly at all. I tried this from a boat myself, it is very frustrating! If you are lucky, it may allow you to arm and fly.

3DR has been hinting about a 'boat mode' to allow the Solo to be armed from a boat that may be rocking, or moving, but so far it's only been a hint.

I'd like them to also give some options for Return To Me to allow the Solo to hover at a specified altitude and wait for you to manually land it (or press the Land button), in case your boat has to position itself. This will also be useful when using Follow Me and you have driven to a new location and perhaps need to manually land the Solo when it executes a Return To Me because where you are located may not be the perfect spot for the Solo to auto land.

If everyone that thinks these are good ideas would send requests to 3DR, there may be a chance that we can get options like this implemented.
What's the best way to make request like this to 3DR? My boat was already out of the water when I got my solo. But big spring plans.

All it does is change the RTH location, so it has no other effect on anything else. All still works the same. I have always took control back once it is overhead. During the decent you can just switch to manual if you want or just raise the throttle stick to cancel the landing and remain in Fly mode.

When doing boat operations, I assume that you pull the drone from the sky instead of landing on the vessel? I'm asking because one of the things I will end up doing often with my Solo is operating from boats.

This depends on the size of your boat! On mine, I could land it on my bow sun pad with no problems.

Reactions: J R
I've used it on my boat and it's true that any little movement keeps it from arming. I was in shallow water and out of the wind and got it to work once, but the other times I had to take off from the dock. I run iOS and the return to me feature is not available, is it? Guess I need to go to android.

Also landing can be tough. I wasn't anchored most of the time and the boat was drifting and bobbing up and down. It was a lot easier to just reach up and grab it.

Definitely will be trying to grab it out of the sky.....I do this most of the time anyways when I fly from the beach. Is there a way to disable the pre-arm motion detection?

Regarding the quote above, you can basically do that now. If you have your RTH height set to 125', then it is the same for RTM. When it gets overhead and starts down, just briefly hit the throttle to full stick and it will stop where it is and hover. You can then take over at any time as it loiters at that altitude.

Reactions: Dustin
Yes, as long as you have time and are ready to take control when it starts down.

A hover and wait option would be nice for any follow me, or return to me type flight.

Imagine you are on a bicycle or car and having the Solo follow you some distance, the Solo needs to land, what if it's not over a safe place to land now?

You need time to stop your vehicle and get the controller in your hands, and then take control of the Solo. A hover and wait option will give you some extra time so you are not in a rush to land it in a safe place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44