Dead Electrics - Do they cook themselves if left on too long?

Reaction score
I have a solo that I am frustrated with because I cant launch from a boat. I tried to overcome this by arming it on land, putting it on the boat and then traveling to my destination. After a two hour journey the battery was down but at about half power. I tried to take off from the boat but it would not. Eventually I gave up, went to an island and tried again. It still would not take off. I turned it off, put in a new battery and started again. It had I recall about 12 satellites, was on land but would not arm. So I gave up and put it away. It was a hot day but the Solo was not hot to touch. Next day I tried to use it with a fresh battery (I have 6) (on land) but it was dead. No lights, no beep, it does seem however that the gimbal works when powered on even though Solo is dead.

3dr have been good in that they say they are sending a replacement refurb, subject to them being super slow with a lack of staff. But they weren't interested in a return of the dead unit. I guess they are only worth $299USD now anyway.

So the questions are: did I burn it out just leaving it sit with power on for a few hours?; and does anyone have any idea where I should start with trouble shooting? I already have a second Solo (new in box) that I can pull bits from try to work out which bit has failed but I don't really know where to start. Or do I just call it dead and hive pieces off it for spares when needed. It seems a bit of a waste to just let it go.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would not expect any issues having Solo powered for a few hours. It only pulls about one amp with motors off. 3DR flew one on a power tether for weeks and it did fine.
Not sure what your issue is. Did you try more than one battery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig