DBS OR TONY FPVLR?

I can get out to 3 or 4 thousand feet with the DBSMod and FPVLR setup from where I fly.

The problem is a tree line which is about 1000 feet from me.
Once I get past it my signal starts dropping.

This is my concern and I think the wifi card swap will help with that.

Typically anything with gain has the potential to help WIFI issues as its getting gain by taking it from other places. Having a null off back and sides means you are not getting interference as strong from those directions. I commonly use directional "gain" antennas with amateur radio to get rid of interference only. That said IF the WiFi is in the direction of the bird I suppose its possible you could be compounding the problem.

Would be nice if 3DR would add a spectrum chart like the other guys that shows the location WiFi and more channels so you could avoid it.

I fly 80% rural with nature type shooting so I don't have any solid experience with the Solo to add much of value when I was using the DBS with it.

FPVLR has been spectacular to me with pre purchase and after. I only had one concern and that was taking it on and off so that it would fit in my GoProfessional Case.
Hey Boogie,
I modified my GP case so that I can now leave the FPVLR attached and still store props..
ZVQlVp

2wSQzU

Good talk here but would like to know,
Exact time on both to attach and detach,
Weight of each unit and comfort level for extended flight times
Prices, customer service and warranty.
Thanks.
Can anyone answer any of the above, especially the time to attach/detach.

Can anyone answer any of the above, especially the time to attach/detach.
30 seconds.

The longest part is removing the coax connectors. My DBS attachment method takes longer than normal because I remove two wingnuts. However still less than 30 seconds.

Yea that's my one concern is having to remove the fpvlr for the backpack there really isnt room to cut out and still have a good sturdy foam section in the backpack. I'm worried how it feels sooner or later my threads will end up stripped or crossed, guess a new controller is about the same price as another case though. A guy nearby has about 50 cabbage and pelican cases for like 50 bucks a piece wish the custom type foam was cheaper I'd grab a couple for both birds.

Yea thirty seconds to attach or detach and weight is very little maybe half my s6 weight and with the fpvlr and s6 on my controller it's perfectly balanced and I could hold it all day long if my batteries allowed. I paid like 140 I think shipped same day came within 48 hours. Tony's active here and seems happy to help same with DBS from what I've seen it really comes down to do you want yours stacked or flat chested honestly, the rest seems about the same. I think DBS is a bit cheaper as well, not sure on warranty but seems like an iron could fix the only things I see breaking.

I can get out to 3 or 4 thousand feet with the DBSMod and FPVLR setup from where I fly.

The problem is a tree line which is about 1000 feet from me.
Once I get past it my signal starts dropping.

Have you used both antennas?

here's another consideration: which maintains better thru a licking? forbid that you accidentally drop your Tx, but having the antennas exposed vs enclosed must be some kind of factor. knowing those coils need to be just perfect, otherwise you lose all effectiveness.

FPVLR should get some kind of casing on it just in case...

I have had zero issues with my FPVLR antenna in terms of durability or ruggedness. Don't be a caveman with your equipment, use a lanyard and you'll be fine.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tekcruzer
FPVLR goes for all out for performance, we sacrifice ruggedness, but these are circular polarized antennas, they cannot be made on a pcb with any degree of effectiveness, so we are comparing apples and oranges. Putting a protective plastic enclosure would cause attenuation and we don't want that.

got it. reading how V2 has a narrow bandwith so you need to "target" your Tx more than the V1.

what is DBS's type of antenna? seeing mods on the fb site with wifi boosters, i figure FPVLR's cone widens the farther out you go?

I bought the DBS Mods and have been very happy with it. My issue was not distance, but WiFi interferrence. Near my house are dozens of WiFi transmitters. I couldn't get beyond 300' without getting a RTH. Now I can routinely fly to 1,000'. Also, as suggested elsewhere in this forum, I attach it with a couple strips of velcro. Very easy to get on and off. No experience with the FPVLR.

I bought the DBS Mods and have been very happy with it. My issue was not distance, but WiFi interferrence. Near my house are dozens of WiFi transmitters. I couldn't get beyond 300' without getting a RTH. Now I can routinely fly to 1,000'. Also, as suggested elsewhere in this forum, I attach it with a couple strips of velcro. Very easy to get on and off. No experience with the FPVLR.
I seem to like my FPVLR setup better than the DBSMods. I have not done a full test to see which one is better. I personally think they both will get you the same performance. The FPVLR looks nicer and if you didn't know it, you would think it was stock.

Have to admit at first I was a bit worried about how rigid fpvlr was but after having it a while it fits fine over my props secured under my tablet mount by the coax and it's pretty tough. With the plastic that holds the coils in place it would have to take a direct hard hit in between supports to get bent. Even dropping the controller I see much more damage to it than to the fpvlr setup. For what it is and does it's as rigid as you could possibly expect. I haven't heard of anyone hurting theirs yet either. Can't say on DBS but it looks nice and seems like it would be pretty tough as well.

I bought dbs first. I definetly noticed an improvement and it was simple to mount. I had to get used to pointing my controller up if I came in for a high landing (I hit fly and throttle down fast, which seems to land faster from height when I have low battery. I never flew it in no wifi interference to gauge it's true range for me.

I then got fpvlr mainly as jjones already had a 3d printed part to hold amps and battery. That sold it for me as likely to be more range than I need and no gaffa tape and rubber bands to achieve it. I've been flying it since and works great . I can fit in the backpack all together. Take it out, Velcro snap onto controller, two sma only to twist on. Takes more time to fold out sun hood and put on, and both are quick.

I'm actually looking forward to trying the Sanhaus amps I've been using with fpvlr with the omnis they come with in combination with the software wifi channel mod. That might get me boosted omni in metro that could well be all I need :)

Did you notice any difference in range between the two?

Well I just got the dbsmod antenna and I'm not too happy with it...I get barely anything better...

Wish I had gotten FPVLR

Reactions: FPVLR
I have been using the DBS Mods antenna (no amps) in lieu of the stock and so far I have been happy with it. I range tested it once to around 1.9 miles (more range than I need).
I mounted the DBS with some quick release GoPro mounts which make it easy to attach and detach quickly as well as adjust the angle with no permanent modifications to the Radio.
The testing seems to be somewhat directional, but not always. I've tested it pointing away from Solo and in different directions such as directly overhead and over trees or water with a strong signal the whole time. I did get a loss of signal the other day while testing "Follow me" after turning my back to the Solo about 100ft away.
Anyone here have any significant directional improvements with added Amps?

IMG_3268.JPG IMG_3387.JPG IMG_3385.JPG IMG_0100.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3387.JPG
    IMG_3387.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3388.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3388.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hey Boogie,
I modified my GP case so that I can now leave the FPVLR attached and still store props..
ZVQlVp

2wSQzU
I have been using the DBS Mods antenna (no amps) in lieu of the stock and so far I have been happy with it. I range tested it once to around 1.9 miles (more range than I need).
I mounted the DBS with some quick release GoPro mounts which make it easy to attach and detach quickly as well as adjust the angle with no permanent modifications to the Radio.
The testing seems to be somewhat directional, but not always. I've tested it pointing away from Solo and in different directions such as directly overhead and over trees or water with a strong signal the whole time. I did get a loss of signal the other day while testing "Follow me" after turning my back to the Solo about 100ft away.

View attachment 1411 View attachment 1412 View attachment 1412 View attachment 1414 View attachment 1415 View attachment 1413

View attachment 1411 View attachment 1412 View attachment 1412 View attachment 1414 View attachment 1415 View attachment 1413

your attachment setup is genius. I have those GoPro quick release mounts. This forum is great!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks