Crash Friendly Sensor

Reaction score
Website
www.jasonyapp.com
They should've designed this drone to be more 'crash friendly.'

Yes, ideally you don't want to crash the drone, obviously. But, it happens from time to time - despite how good you are at controlling the drone.

I've crashed my drone twice now, both times into a tree. It was my fault, yes. BUT, what I don't like is that when it clips a tree, Solo falls and crashes to the ground and the motors are still turning and spinning and the props break. I wish they had written software that would detect if Solo is crashing and/or has crashed - and immediately shut off the motors so that they don't continue to spin while Solo is on the ground. The motors grab the grass around it too when it's crashed spinning on the ground. Luckily, it hasn't burnt my motors.

I'm probably going to buy some prop guards, that might have prevented what happened to me today. But, don't you think there should be some sort of crash sensor that just shuts Solo down so it's not a wounded duck flapping around on the ground? Motors spinning, grabbing grass, dirt, etc. Possibly burning the motors, and even the gimbal? You might even be able to save a few props if it would just shut down when it recognizes it has crashed.

Thoughts?

The last update or maybe the one before was supposed to have crash detection. It was in the release notes.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The last update or maybe the one before was supposed to have crash detection. It was in the release notes.

I didn't know that. Well, when I crashed it today, it kept trying to fly and running into more trees. And the motors kept going, breaking the props and grabbing grass and branches...

If I hadn't of turned off the controller as fast as I could to shut Solo down, I'm not sure if the thing would have kept on trying to fly.

Solo is very crash friendly try crashing one of those others, you get to replace the entire thing. with solo usually new props will do the trick

From my experience, Solo does better than most (if not any) drone it's size when it comes to surviving a crash. It is pretty tough, and the props are pretty flexible...

As it is now, Solo detects a "crash" if it is upside down and on the ground.

I am not sure if others have crash detection. Luckily I haven't crashed but once. It was due to a bad motor, and was before the crash detection was added. But the next question you would have to add is how would you detect a crash? Given the sensors we have (and that most drones have). i.e. under what circumstances (sensor inputs) are you "sure" you want to stop the motors?

I say this because you have to cover all scenarios. If you made them stop when it was just upside down, what about Acro? If you make them stop when it hits something, what happens when you hit a bird in mid air? Don't you want to try and recover?

There are numerous situations like this.. The thing you have to make sure of, is that you don't cause more harm (in one situation) than you save (in an another).

Reactions: Lamda and Marich
Pretty sure the updated crash detection is just for when the Solo is flipped.

Anyway, the danger with crash detection is false positives. So far I've been lucky, but I did hit tree limb and the Solo did a complete flip and recovered. I'd hate for it to have detected a crash and shut off. Especially since that tree branch was above water - and the Solo saved itself with inches to spare.

Reactions: Lamda and Del
From my experience, Solo does better than most (if not any) drone it's size when it comes to surviving a crash. It is pretty tough, and the props are pretty flexible...

As it is now, Solo detects a "crash" if it is upside down and on the ground.

I am not sure if others have crash detection. Luckily I haven't crashed but once. It was due to a bad motor, and was before the crash detection was added. But the next question you would have to add is how would you detect a crash? Given the sensors we have (and that most drones have). i.e. under what circumstances (sensor inputs) are you "sure" you want to stop the motors?

I say this because you have to cover all scenarios. If you made them stop when it was just upside down, what about Acro? If you make them stop when it hits something, what happens when you hit a bird in mid air? Don't you want to try and recover?

There are numerous situations like this.. The thing you have to make sure of, is that you don't cause more harm (in one situation) than you save (in an another).
I would use amperage load on a motor. If it's bound up its going to change the load it's pulling from free spooling. I would have no idea how to implement this but just an idea.

Last edited:
I agree, I think the crash detection could be better. I think it takes the Solo 2 or more seconds to detect a crash. This is a long time if the motors are pulling a lot of current.

You can experiment a bit with the crash detection, just take your props off, press fly to Arm, then raise the throttle to simulate a take off. Then move the solo around or place it upside down and see how long it takes for the motors to stop.

I didn't know that. Well, when I crashed it today, it kept trying to fly and running into more trees. And the motors kept going, breaking the props and grabbing grass and branches...

If I hadn't of turned off the controller as fast as I could to shut Solo down, I'm not sure if the thing would have kept on trying to fly.

Next time just hold down A, B, and Pause for a second and the motors will instantly shut off. I just learned that trick lol.

But it can take you a second or two to find those buttons and press them. Auto crash detection should be faster, especially if they can detect a spike in current draw from the battery.

I would use amperage load on a motor. If it's bound up its going to change the load it's pulling from free spooling. I would have no idea how to implement this but just an idea.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they have that value for each esc, only the output to the motor, and the total amp draw.

Eventually, proximity alerts and selectable avoidance behaviour would be great. Saves us from getting into situations in the first place. Some people are developing this for the consumer market already.

Ultimately though, I think at the consumer level, we can't always save ourselves from everything. Sometimes that's part of the fun?

Reactions: erikgraham
But it can take you a second or two to find those buttons and press them. Auto crash detection should be faster, especially if they can detect a spike in current draw from the battery.

I know...but based on the OP's comments about bouncing in between a couple trees before it crashed, it sounds like he had some time LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44