Controller Signal-Strength

Reaction score
This is a field near my house. For some reason, I lose my controller connection when the Solo is only 150 feet high, and about 300 feet away. The little icon turns red, but the sticks still work, and I'm able to return to home using the controller.

That's a university soccer complex in the distance, and I realize there's probably gobs of wi-fi signals floating around because of the school, but that shouldn't affect the connection between the controller and the helicopter, should it? The antennae were positioned correctly, and the hdop was 1.3. The RSSI was 65. I realize that's an indicator of signal strength, but that's about as much as I know.

Just curious. Am I doing something wrong, or is this yet another glitch thingy?

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 76
Hey Sarah, I was just going to start a thread on this. Hope you don't mind sharing?
I went to a place outside of town today. It was somewhere I had never flown before. It's out in the country with only 1 house. I had on a set of 6db dipoles on and lost controller at 160' up and 150' away. I kept playing with it taking it back to the same area and always lost control. My rssi was 48-50, and certainly good enough that it shouldn't lose control. I then turned around and flew 180deg from the other spot and still lost controller and about the same distance and rssi still under 50. I brought it down and changed back to the stock antennas. It still lost control in the same distances. In the spot I usually fly I have been out on the stock antennas to 1500' and never lost connection.

I am going to look at the logs tomorrow, but it would seem that something besides signal strength is triggering RTH, as 50 should be plenty good. I am going to leave everything as it is and go back to the original fly spot tomorrow and check rssi at 1000'. You should be able to maintain control too at 65. Anyone else monitoring RSSI enough to weigh in on when you are losing controller?

Reactions: Sarah B
So is it an equipment thing? Or a something-else thing?

Oh, and I'm a good sharer, so no worries.
I thought you might be.. Such a sweetheart..

It helps to not have to many threads on the same issue. After I look at the logs and go back out tomorrow I will see if I can determine anything.

It almost seems like there's other things beside wifi that affect range in solo more than some other rcs obviously trees or other obstructions being one but hidden things as well. I've had my strange issues in spots my p2 would be fine but have had them repeatedly in these spots, maybe something underground or ? Surrounded on 3 sides even with a clear view of sky and plenty of room around it is where I've had my issues.

I posted before but not sure if you guys noticed the in app bars seem very flawed look at your controller bars and even at a hundred feet have 2 bars on my app, while my controller shows at very least 3 bars usually 4 even 5 until I get out a decent ways. The Rssi seems more reliable in app than the bars from my knowledge of Rssi in general which is limited, but I can say for sure pretty much ignore app bars. When it goes red I do try to limit going much further but I'll have a great connection even when apps at 2 or 1 bar even. The biggest thing noticed latley is when my video feed gets consistently choppy it seems to be the best indication that my signals getting low and usually will be reflected on solo controller and rssi. If you guys saw this before sorry but thought it was valid to post here for those who got theirs more recently than us at least.

Also worth a mention I gave up on my stock antennas and love using the Fpvlr they give me smooth video and better signal and honestly seem to make it respond faster to me, if that's possible, may be in my head but first two are definite. Doubt it affects what's said above but never know these things could vary a bit with stock antennas. Used my once since receiving the upgrade and landed and swapped in no time so I can't say for sure one way or the other on stock.

Assume that neither of you have your altitude bumped down to 150-ish triggering RTH?

a signal in the 20's is great, approaching 70 and you are reaching the end of the line

Good lord 20s I've yet to see anything better than thirties even when I have them both in my hands but I have been impressed with the 1.3 or so hdop lately. Seems that's got better and I've had 14 sats usually latley as well, seem like good signs.

Assume that neither of you have your altitude bumped down to 150-ish triggering RTH?

Hurtful ... that you think I'm such a poor student.

Altitude is set to unlimited.

The helicopter didn't do a RTH, I just saw that I lost connectivity on the app, but not the controller, and scooted back some. Similar to Jubair, the app icon turned red, but the controller displayed a bar or two. I, too, ventured back and forth, and the same thing kept happening.

I just don't know why.

Not saying it was pilot error. Was thinking the app did something.

There is something going on with connectivity with these things. Its not just obvious connectivity either.

I would open my logs with Mission planner and take a look. Might not show a "flag" but all the data is there and might show something.

As far as hurtful I WAS going to tease you after looking at your picture and say. How would you know you don't have a phone/tablet on your controller. LOL :cool:

I've flown in open field about 300 feet up and 200 feet out and lose signal often triggering RTH, its no fence breach or anything since limit is set to unlimited, the stock antennas are horrible. I sent my 3DR back to BestBuy because of the controller range limitations.

Same issue here, 1st flight lost connection every flight, RTH was started, quite annoying to say the least. ( big open field) went to another soccer field same thing! 150 feet in the air lost signal, clear sunny day. For what I'm reading here the solo is very sensitive to the area you fly in. Which I think sucks! I thought I was alone with this issue I'm not. I don't live in a big city I live on Long Island NY .. I have used my Blade qx3 never lost any signal no matter where I fly it.. just saying...

I've flown in open field about 300 feet up and 200 feet out and lose signal often triggering RTH, its no fence breach or anything since limit is set to unlimited, the stock antennas are horrible. I sent my 3DR back to BestBuy because of the controller range limitations.

I'm next heading to best buy Monday am for the SAME REASON U ARE NOT ALONE

Have any of you tried on of the wifi scanner apps to do a WiFi survey ofmthe area before flying?

I think the solo is too sensitive to WiFi interference. This is hard to understand as other RC flying devices in the same area on 2.4 ghz have no problems.

I know you guys won't want to spend more to get good results and I understand totally but the fpvlr basic setup for like 130 bucks does wonders. He's here on the site and I received mine in two days, I'm not into long range but wanted this to have good reception in more wifi crowded areas or those near woods and these antennas are great for that.

I ignore my app bars as they are worthless and look at my controller bars and my rssi and I've not lost signal yet. My only Rth was from hitting my altitude fence I've only gone up 300 or so feet at 1000 ft out but still have plenty of signal left to at least double that which is plenty for me. I know it's not ideal spending more money but if you've been waiting for solo like I was it was worth it to me at least and I love my solo now because of this upgrade.

Tried my stocks again on the 4th and my signal dropped and video got choppy straight away came right back swapped em out to the fpv set and I'll never use stock again. Smooth video great signal they are what should have come on solo in the first place and not really directional I fly left right and even above me as long as you aren't flying behind yourself you'll be in great shape.

Just an idea if you'd rather fly it than return it hope this helps some of you. I figured what's another 100 bucks with all I've put down already upgrading to a hero4b,S6,Sager computer,plus the gimbal seemed like a worthwhile upgrade to me and I like to tinker or customize a bit anyway and there's not a whole lot to do and keep your warranty beside this. Granted I didn't have to do all this but it was about time for a new pc and phone or tab anyway, I have to say I love the s6 for this it perfect size for me and is light years ahead of my apple anything, I don't even use it as my primary phone but pretty much as a dedicated tab for solo. Also no need for sunshade since I can see it great everywhere so far. I'm also loving the Sager I'd definitley recommend either especially if you can find incredible deals on them both buying basically new items on Craigslist, I was just patient and found them for about a third of their normal price both as close to new as I've ever seen. Just got the Sager Friday but it's an impressive machine and has eaten up everything I've thrown at it with plenty to spare so far. Now I'm not even sure which one of these things is my favorite new toy, it's impossible deciding which to play with now although the weather here has made it hard to get more than a couple flights a day in.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to give other options that have made my experience with solo a great one so far. I know for some it's not worth all the upgrading but if your like me and have waited a while for the release and are willing to spend a bit you can have a great bird with solo.

OK. Found out a few things. First of All this is thanks to you Rich! @rrmccabe

When I wanted to try my other tablet to see if it was brighter, I first had to update the app to 1.01. When I did I did not reset the Alt limit. Dummy me. But I still felt there was something else involved. There is! For many of you that are flying and hitting RTH but are flying below your Alt Limit Be Aware of the following..

Using Tower and MP I found that the Alt limit also sets a horizontal Fence Flag. Meaning it will trigger RTH when it hits the pre-set distance regardless of height! There is a setting in the Pixhawk for 'Fence Enable' and if it is set to '1' then there is a circular fence around home point. There is also a field below that for setting the distance. On mine it was 150m. So to test it I set my Alt limit in the Solo App to 400'. I went back in to Tower and the Flag was still set to '1' and the fence was still 150m! I then set my RTL to unlimited and went back in to Tower and found that this sets the 'Enable' flag to 0, which disables the fence completely regardless of the horizontal setting. The way that the Pixhawk works, this flag must be enabled in order to have a altitude limit. Only by removing the altitude limit will the fence be torn down.

So this begs the question of the setting in the horizontal fence for those that are trying to be responsible and set their Alt limit to 400' per FAA regs. What did you set the Alt limit to? If it is unlimited then you still have signal issues. But if you have anything other than unlimited, you could be hitting the fence, so to speak!

Sarah.. Did you have an alt limit?

No altitude limit. Again, the solo never tried to return to home. I just saw that the icon was red, and scooted backward several feet. I went forward again, lost signal again, and brought the helicopter back toward me so it WOULDN'T RTH and hit something.

I thinks it's just a shortcoming in the solo's hardware. I'm gonna get better antennae like Adimuzio suggested. If the solo has poor connectivity, the antennae seem like an apt solution.

By comparison, my ancient Phantom 2 Vision--non +--has been in cities, sprawling suburbs, and all kinds of other high wi-fi areas. I've lost GPS plenty of times, but the controller/helicopter connection has always been terrific.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
OK. Found out a few things. First of All this is thanks to you Rich! @rrmccabe

When I wanted to try my other tablet to see if it was brighter, I first had to update the app to 1.01. When I did I did not reset the Alt limit. Dummy me. But I still felt there was something else involved. There is! For many of you that are flying and hitting RTH but are flying below your Alt Limit Be Aware of the following..

Using Tower and MP I found that the Alt limit also sets a horizontal Fence Flag. Meaning it will trigger RTH when it hits the pre-set distance regardless of height! There is a setting in the Pixhawk for 'Fence Enable' and if it is set to '1' then there is a circular fence around home point. There is also a field below that for setting the distance. On mine it was 150m. So to test it I set my Alt limit in the Solo App to 400'. I went back in to Tower and the Flag was still set to '1' and the fence was still 150m! I then set my RTL to unlimited and went back in to Tower and found that this sets the 'Enable' flag to 0, which disables the fence completely regardless of the horizontal setting. The way that the Pixhawk works, this flag must be enabled in order to have a altitude limit. Only by removing the altitude limit will the fence be torn down.

So this begs the question of the setting in the horizontal fence for those that are trying to be responsible and set their Alt limit to 400' per FAA regs. What did you set the Alt limit to? If it is unlimited then you still have signal issues. But if you have anything other than unlimited, you could be hitting the fence, so to speak!

Sarah.. Did you have an alt limit?
Great catch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44