Controller looses control link with Solo at 21 meters

Reaction score
Website
www.flyingfatcats.com
Gang,

Happy flying so far for the last few days, and everything has worked fine, except for intermittent live video feed display on my Android device.

Now however, the only thing I have changed since last 'good' flight is performing a level and compass calibration this morning with the app. Now I get an "Lost Link with Solo" warning on the controller consistently at ~21 meters. This was tested 5 times. Solo will return home on its own. When Solo gets lower, I get "reconnected" message on the Controller and can re-gain control.

Have no clue what is going on now, dang it Jim... Any idea's. Loose Solo antenna solder joint?

Also, how do you set the units on the Controller to Feet instead of Meters?

Cheers,

Chip
----

Chip, Can you re-check where your altitude limit is set?

Chip, Can you re-check where your altitude limit is set?

Have not changed it, it's at 397 feet. Still learning, but it flew fine before the calibrations. Maybe that's just a coincidence. I still need to retrieve log files, there are some on my android device, copied them over to my hard drive, but cannot make sense of them, yet. Let me double check ALT settings. Again, Controller warned "Loss of Contact/Signal" with Solo, not the usual "Max Altitude Reached" message.

ALT check in App verified.

Last edited:
Have not changed it, it's at 397 feet. Still learning, but it flew fine before the calibrations. Maybe that's just a coincidence. I still need to retrieve log files, there are some on my android device, copied them over to my hard drive, but cannot make sense of them, yet. Let me double check ALT settings. Again, Controller warned "Loss of Contact/Signal" with Solo, not the usual "Max Altitude Reached" message.
Sure, thanks for checking. post the logs or PM me if you would like me to look them over.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Reactions: Chip Luck
Sure, thanks for checking. post the logs or PM me if you would like me to look them over.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Think I found a friend here... Thank you , and cheers man...

Anyway, 2 new flight batteries from Best Buy arrived, all were charged and and readied for flight test. So, I took Solo out to break in the new batt's. I did absolutely nothing different from the day before, calibrations routine then with the ALT error. Now, NO problem at all, Solo flew up to 398' ft for it's programmed AGL ceiling with no issues at all, and went horizontal I can't remember how far, but could barely see it.

However, ONCE AGAIN, was in low hover mode and doing some video = everything is good, then Solo took a hard left turn into the bushes. Damn, no spare 'black' props now so down for now.

I have to figure out just exactly what is going on here, the side vector 'crashes' only occur at about 6 foot AGL on my property, and Solo will just bank, and send it self into the bushes. Being a test engineer, I bet 'some sat' got lost, so let's go get it...

3DR now owes me 2 sets of prop's, not my fault! 3 times now, but only at low ALT's. Otherwise, Solo is doing great up to max ceiling. For now I'm grounded, no black prop, just one silver left.

Again, thanks for your input... I will be sending log's, notes and flights, etc. soon.

Cheers,

Chip
---

Flight Report : the day after,

Got 2 new flight batteries in today, do decided to break them in. Launched Solo and usual Home mode, checking out run times/discharge rates on the new batteries. Well, decided to take Solo up to pre-set ALT of 398 ft, guess what? No signal loss this time, even flew a bit aways up toward the North - Solo barely in sight and no problems, nor loss of signal. Takes out the equation of a re-calibration issue causing it = no problems now.

However, back at HOME, then hovering around about 6' AGL, Solo once again just decided to eat the bushes again with no input on the controller, was in hover flying fine. This is the 3rd time this has happened, and it always happens in a wooded trail area. Wonder if it's a GPS lock failure or whatever, but I'm going to have to go to Best Buy tomorrow, I'm out of props! 3DR, fix this thing man! It's not me, believe me. And prop's are not cheap. Oh, 3DR - why do you sell just a pack of 2, make it 4 man... 2 black, 2 silver!

Peace...

When you are flying around trees and obstacles you should probably fly in manual mode. You're creating an environment where the HDOP is not accurate which greatly affects the GPS lock.

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
When you are flying around trees and obstacles you should probably fly in manual mode. You're creating an environment where the HDOP is not accurate which greatly affects the GPS lock.

I flew in the exact same LZ/area the day after, and no altitude problems at all as Solo went all the way up to the programmed ceiling. As far as GPS lock, should the controller not warn you? Sometimes I have 12 or so shown in red prior to flight, then get the lock signal. Knowing GPS, once Solo is airborne, it should lock on even more sat's. Now, flying 5ft AGL in a wooded trail, I can understand loss of GPS - manual may be the way to go. Thanks.

Now, flying 5ft AGL in a wooded trail, I can understand loss of GPS - manual may be the way to go. Thanks.
Yep, like Ray said you are better off in manual mode. Unless I am doing a smart shot, I fly manual the rest of the time.

Not doubting he may be better in manual mode but there is something seriously wrong with the Solo if we keep telling people to fly in manual mode.

We can paint this however we like but there are several other brands that fly with no GPS issues.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Not doubting he may be better in manual mode but there is something seriously wrong with the Solo if we keep telling people to fly in manual mode.

We can paint this however we like but there are several other brands that fly with no GPS issues.

Well... agreed. GPS should not loose lock at 6ft AGL, even in a wooded path. No warnings from Controller or App, Solo just suddenly banks with no control inputs, 3 times now - right into the trees/bushes. I said bank, like right stick input. Thank God for spare props.

Reactions: Projeffrey11

Agreed, and it still comes down to some having issues where others have not and until we can find a variable, the choice is still to fly manual for those that can not maintain GPS lock or get their money back and buy white or several other brands that fly with no GPS issues . Chip and others generally have their problems when below 8-10 ft and around obstacles. It doesn't matter to me if I have 12 sats and 1.0 HDOP, I still prefer to be the one in control when landing. What is the down side? But then, I am old school.

Hopefully they will find why some are having issues, until then it may not be the best choice for beginners that prefer to fly GPS at low altitude.

Reactions: Chip Luck
Hopefully they will find why some are having issues, until then it may not be the best choice for beginners that prefer to fly GPS at low altitude.
Yup !

Except Monkeys can fly this thing :p

Yup !

Except Monkeys can fly this thing :p
Yeah, they made a big mistake with the monkeys marketing ad and they are hearing about it. Monkeys should definitely fly White instead. Until they get the GPS consistent, push button flyers would do better to fly something else or learn to do the actual flying. Maybe the marketing team with white will do a campaign showing a monkey trying black and crashing and then picking up a white one and flying it. Of course, you have to do the firmware upgrade for them first. :D

Agreed, and it still comes down to some having issues where others have not and until we can find a variable, the choice is still to fly manual for those that can not maintain GPS lock or get their money back and buy white or several other brands that fly with no GPS issues . Chip and others generally have their problems when below 8-10 ft and around obstacles. It doesn't matter to me if I have 12 sats and 1.0 HDOP, I still prefer to be the one in control when landing. What is the down side? But then, I am old school.

Yes, hopefully the R&D and development team at 3DR is working on it. However, do they monitor this forum? Is there an official forum where 3DR can get real reports on problems? If being a developer, if you have no documented and intelligent feedback - not a 'bitch list', the problem(s) will go un-solved. Then there is the update, debug, hardware/software integration issues processes which take time and man hours, believe me I know too well.

Even as a 'beginner', R/C has been a hobby for years. The Solo is a great machine, period. It just needs some tweaking here and there. Why certain things work/do not work is up to the developers, they just need proper and logical feedback so they can correct any issues. Like I mentioned, being a test/flight simulation engineer for a 'while', I would need feedback so I can deligate the proper people to address the issues. Now, if I could get a job with 3DR...

Yes a monkey can fly this thing, and with about 12 flights now - I will try manual today and let you know how it goes. Cheers.

Yes, hopefully the R&D and development team at 3DR is working on it. However, do they monitor this forum? Is there an official forum where 3DR can get real reports on problems? If being a developer, if you have no documented and intelligent feedback - not a 'bitch list', the problem(s) will go un-solved. Then there is the update, debug, hardware/software integration issues processes which take time and man hours, believe me I know too well.

Even as a 'beginner', R/C has been a hobby for years. The Solo is a great machine, period. It just needs some tweaking here and there. Why certain things work/do not work is up to the developers, they just need proper and logical feedback so they can correct any issues. Like I mentioned, being a test/flight simulation engineer for a 'while', I would need feedback so I can deligate the proper people to address the issues. Now, if I could get a job with 3DR...

Yes a monkey can fly this thing, and with about 12 flights now - I will try manual today and let you know how it goes. Cheers.
Hey Chip, you will like manual. Most pilots find they actually like the feel of it better. As far as feed back on issues, I'm sure they monitor some forums but my understanding is the logs that are sent from customers is their primary source for problem areas.

How can i set my solo yo fly manual any help ??

HOW CAN I PUT MY SOLO AS MANUAL FLY PLEASE ???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M