Continuing video problems.

Reaction score
The discussions about the rolling video feed has kind of died down. Earlier discussions were also about the stiff cable interfering with the gimbal and video quality. I removed gimbal about a week ago and unplugged hdmi cord and rep lugged and that fixed it for several flights. Yesterday it was great on the ground but as soon as flying it rolled. I took gimbal off and unplugged but didn't fix it. I was wondering if the consensus of the group was just to replace the stock micro hdmi cable with the ribbon cable offered by 3d relish. Aerial pixels offered one with 90 deg. Bends. I Watched the videos on taking solo apart but couldn't tell if a 90 would work on the card end. I was not wanting to wait the shipping time from Singapore. Any ideas on how to fix rolling video or another source in U.S. For a micro hdmi to micro hdmi cable?

The discussions about the rolling video feed has kind of died down. Earlier discussions were also about the stiff cable interfering with the gimbal and video quality.

Mav,

I was having a lot of issues with my video link in the beginning as well. To the point where I would just have a weirdly colored frozen screen. I bought the first version Relish ribbon cable. While waiting for the Relish one I tried a few different variations, none of which worked. These other ones were just shots in the dark. I plugged and unplugged most of my bird more than once while waiting for the Relish cable. I got the Relish cable, it plugged right in (with the 90 degrees on both ends) and I haven't had a video issue since. I don't know if it was entirely the cable because I tried so many other things but I think the cable did it. It really did go in sweet. Just my experience. Hope you get it solved soon.

Jerry

Thank
Mav,

I was having a lot of issues with my video link in the beginning as well. To the point where I would just have a weirdly colored frozen screen. I bought the first version Relish ribbon cable. While waiting for the Relish one I tried a few different variations, none of which worked. These other ones were just shots in the dark. I plugged and unplugged most of my bird more than once while waiting for the Relish cable. I got the Relish cable, it plugged right in (with the 90 degrees on both ends) and I haven't had a video issue since. I don't know if it was entirely the cable because I tried so many other things but I think the cable did it. It really did go in sweet. Just my experience. Hope you get it solved soon.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I have really learned a lot from all your posts on here. Do you think this one would work? They didn't have straight ends listed as a choice but they make one with micro hdmi 90 deg. On each end and then another one with a reverse 90 on it. Didn't know orientation of the plug on the board? Couldn't get link to paste in for some reason. image.jpg

From what I understand the biggest issue with aftermarket cables is proper shielding to prevent interference.

Thanks for the help Maddog and the picture Jerry. I'm not much of a cable expert at all either. I remember getting the Solo back in August on the way to a family reunion and the first flights. Everyone wanted to see the video and I had no clue at Walmart what type of cable we needed to make that happen. And I was wishing I had picked a good quality one at Best Buy before I left civilization. o_O
Looking at your excellent picture I'm guessing one end is standard and the one towards the right is reversed. I may order one from both places and just have a spare or peddle it on here. I'm happy to support 3drelish for making a special cable to fix an issue. I was just wanting to fly some sooner than that.
I'm just about done harvesting and ready to spend my free time this winter and the good weather days flying solo as much as I can.
El Niño may ruin those plans. However! :)

Reactions: Maddog and J R
Quick add to the conversation. I think you would be better off with the Relish unit overall. He has made the effort to fit it into and for Solo. The straight connector is the key to the Relish design for Solo, space is limited.

The Aerial Pixel unit has the right angle connectors which could interfere with the gimbals movement.

I still have the original HDMI cable and have no issues from its use. If I were to buy one it would be the Relish offering. I agree the HK boat is slow, but in this case it would be time better spent.

@Maverick19811 what part of Texas do you plow?

Quick add to the conversation. I think you would be better off with the Relish unit overall. He has made the effort to fit it into and for Solo. The straight connector is the key to the Relish design for Solo, space is limited.

Rich,

The original Relish has the right angle. It worked fine for me, no issue with interference.

Jerry

I've been thinking about going the ribbon route too. I haven't had any video problems, but I was replacing my gimbal and i could see wear on the hdmi cable shielding from vibration. I don't have a lot of jello from it though. Occasionally it's there, but usually during descent if it's straight down. Solo seems to work harder during descent and sounds a lot different so it's probably shaking everything up. Add a little forward motion and it's not as bad.

The Aerial Pixel unit has the right angle connectors which could interfere with the gimbals movement.

I still have the original HDMI cable and have no issues from its use. If I were to buy one it would be the Relish offering. I agree the HK boat is slow, but in this case it would be time better spent.

@Maverick19811 what part of Texas do you plow?
Hi Richwest
I am about 90 miles north of Amarillo, TX

Rich,

The original Relish has the right angle. It worked fine for me, no issue with interference.

Jerry
Sure, I've seen two of his three versions. Even though the 3rd version looks odd with the plastic housings, it would be my choice if I were to choose. The right angle (1st gen) once attached to the gimbal "could" impact either the gimbal lower plate or the circuit board above, based on its orientation when installed. ymmv.

Anyway, I was just offering an observation from my experiences to date. No first hand experiences with the Relish ribbons. No harm, no foul. I think my gimbal removal count is near 100 at this point from all the testing.

@Maverick19811 I don't envy your winters, summers or the constant wind.... The Solo is a good bird for your application and environment.

Reactions: J R
Mav,

I've got to be honest with you I don't know the ins and outs of HDMI cables, so I'd feel a bit uncomfortable telling you which one may work. The one from aerial pixels looks like it should. Here's a pic of the type I received from Relish. I bought it from them because I knew they were making it specifically for the Solo.

Jerry

View attachment 1951
JR,
I'm having a lot of the same video feed issues. I've replaced the stock cable w/the Relish cable. But the one they sent me was straight connector. It seemed to work for a while but again same problem, I am gonna order ANOTHER cable from Relish & wanted to know if I have to request the 90 degree type? Thanks in advance

The discussions about the rolling video feed has kind of died down. Earlier discussions were also about the stiff cable interfering with the gimbal and video quality. I removed gimbal about a week ago and unplugged hdmi cord and rep lugged and that fixed it for several flights. Yesterday it was great on the ground but as soon as flying it rolled. I took gimbal off and unplugged but didn't fix it. I was wondering if the consensus of the group was just to replace the stock micro hdmi cable with the ribbon cable offered by 3d relish. Aerial pixels offered one with 90 deg. Bends. I Watched the videos on taking solo apart but couldn't tell if a 90 would work on the card end. I was not wanting to wait the shipping time from Singapore. Any ideas on how to fix rolling video or another source in U.S. For a micro hdmi to micro hdmi cable?

I'm having the exact same problem over the past two week, I'm on my second HDMI relish cable, I also had a sky pixel one with 90degree bends that wouldn't fit due to hitting the board etc. I'm loosing the feed shortly into the flight..resulting in coloured static, then eventually a freeze or black screen. I've unplugged/re installed the gimbal several times...works fine on the bench, soon as its in the air...I loose pics. Anyone who can shed light on the issue, i'd love to hear from you too!

First 3 days out with Solo, I had no video feed problems...flew 4 batteries each day. Now the last 2 days out I have had rolling video feed and also a frozen feed , which turned into frozen app...not happy..... @Vu.3DR I honestly think 3dr should be addressing this issue as a customer service issue and bulk ordering a correctly implemented hdmi ribbon-type cable for SOLO users and sending them out to all owners....otherwise, we could all create support tickets and send them back

At the very least, 3dr should stock and ship the cables without owners having to wait on a slow boat from Singapore just to have a correctly functioning product....

Reactions: RichWest
Im
First 3 days out with Solo, I had no video feed problems...flew 4 batteries each day. Now the last 2 days out I have had rolling video feed and also a frozen feed , which turned into frozen app...not happy..... @Vu.3DR I honestly think 3dr should be addressing this issue as a customer service issue and bulk ordering a correctly implemented hdmi ribbon-type cable for SOLO users and sending them out to all owners....otherwise, we could all create support tickets and send them back

At the very least, 3dr should stock and ship the cables without owners having to wait on a slow boat from Singapore just to have a correctly functioning product....
Im having the same issues with rolling & freezing video. Ive replaced the stock cable with the ribbon type. That took care of it for a few flights. Now its back to taking Solo apart to make sure connections are all good. I don't know whats going on. But this is past frustrating

I'm having the exact same problem over the past two week, I'm on my second HDMI relish cable, I also had a sky pixel one with 90degree bends that wouldn't fit due to hitting the board etc. I'm loosing the feed shortly into the flight..resulting in coloured static, then eventually a freeze or black screen. I've unplugged/re installed the gimbal several times...works fine on the bench, soon as its in the air...I loose pics. Anyone who can shed light on the issue, i'd love to hear from you too!
Im starting to think that the HDMI connections are not snug enough to stay stationary when all that vibrating is going on during acceleration. And I also think its the connection at the main board. Because Ive tried a brand new gimbal I have for back up.

Just did a factory reset to see if that would help. The only thing that did was an almost immediate SAT connection. That was sweet. But still got the video feed issues

Last edited:
Im starting to think that the HDMI connections are not snug enough to stay stationary when all that vibrating is going on during acceleration. And I also think its the connection at the main board. Because Ive tried a brand new gimbal I have for back up.

I agree Keith, each time I re-installed my cabling I noticed the HDMI was a tad loose after flying, I've rigged this setup today, I'll let you know how it goes and if there's any improvements in signal stability very frustrating, had to cut/cancel many shoots short!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
I agree Keith, each time I re-installed my cabling I noticed the HDMI was a tad loose after flying, I've rigged this setup today, I'll let you know how it goes and if there's any improvements in signal stability very frustrating, had to cut/cancel many shoots short!!
I like it. Looks like your on to something. Yes please let me know how that works out for you. Ive tried hot glue, but after checking to see how it held I noticed it separated. The glue obviously didnt stick very well.

I like it. Looks like your on to something. Yes please let me know how that works out for you. Ive tried hot glue, but after checking to see how it held I noticed it separated. The glue obviously didnt stick very well.

20 minutes of flying and not a glitch, I don't want to call it...though it 'might' be fixed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado