Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

Haven't been following this thread closely. Just read the last couple of pages. I guess I'll go back and read through, but anyone care to summarize. What is this mysterious mod you all refer to?

Again no photog here, but this is improving...in my opinion.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think wearing-in is correct, this was actually shot last weekend. Was one of four videos I shot that outing, the clouds were not cooperating. Ignoring the contrast and brightness of the video, seems the vibration has diminished, but it was not windy that day either...where I was flying.

But yes, I'm always trying something to improve the video performance. Every video is an actual test, just sharing the results. Always like to hear constructive feed back for what is seen in the videos regarding vibes.

I'm not really obsessed with the effort per se, this is more of a distraction from my daily grind. Besides practice makes perfect, I get lots of flight time...

Had my solo 2 apart today installing the shield. Was going to trim that post near the hdmi cable bend but it's not a solid post. Didn't look like yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope not solid, pretty much an over hanging mounting hole for the battery tray. You're only removing a portion, see the gold depicted area in the photos as the material to remove. It was difficult to produce the video and images to show the idea, seems not well enough for you to see how its setup. Maybe not a mod you should try until you can confirm further what was represented. I'm fairly certain all the body frames are identical.

I assume you haven't removed the main board to reveal better the gusset shown. fwiw I didn't remove the main board for the mod, the gusset revealed after I had notched back the "gold" cut portion. I show in the hdmi cable video the actual gusset, used a yellow stick to point it out. Watch that video again and then maybe poke your finger back in that spot to feel the gusset. As always, measure twice, cut once.

Reactions: pyrate
5th or 6th flight after isolator mod, I didn't use foam inside the isolators but the balls I received from 3dr were quite a bit stiffer than what was on my gimbals originally.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Kevin, I think you're pulling my leg. No foam inserts and no video stab or other editing....? So what else have you done to stabilize the gimbal? I recall you did the moon gel mod, still using that?

Either way the video looks fairly amazing, said so previously.

Kevin, I think you're pulling my leg. No foam inserts and no video stab or other editing....? So what else have you done to stabilize the gimbal? I recall you did the moon gel mod, still using that?

Either way the video looks fairly amazing, said so previously.

Sorbathane on the main board, ribbon cable hdmi, sheathing removed from control wire bundle. I generally use Mercalli 4.0 on all my videos but not on this one. That being said; Any hard stabs at the throttle or wind over 7 or 8 knots from the side do induce a bit of jitter.

Sorbo is great material, cutting is a pain in the rear however. I'm assuming applied like the moon gel mod. Duro 30 shaped like a cube? The side to side jitters is the inability of the gimbal being able to pivot on its roll axis, as the bird is tilted on the roll axis. You're basically compressing the sorbo and it has no further give. Been there, done that...

I'm still stock on the hdmi cable and the control wire bundle. I've considered stripping back the control wire, but how I have it shaped now should not interfere with the gimbal. But who knows...may have another look.

Thanks for the share of your results, it proves it can be done with a little effort. Again your video quality is really nice and I enjoy watching you flying around the truck farm area. It's a better area than what I have to deal with...

I really don't get the sorbathan seems like wedging something between the two gimbal pieces would be counter productive

any here is my latest test with the ribbon cable and isolation mod. Did not strip the data cable yet
I should note my props were hosed, I crashed right before this flight and chewed them up pretty good

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
I only use the sorbathane on the mainboard between the battery tray and the board, 1/4x/1/2x1/2" precut package of 36. It seems to use the mass of the battery through the sorbathane to deaden some of the high frequency vibration.

Reactions: RichWest
I only use the sorbathane on the mainboard between the battery tray and the board, 1/4x/1/2x1/2" precut package of 36. It seems to use the mass of the battery through the sorbathane to deaden some of the high frequency vibration.
Wow great idea, seems logical, I look forward to trying. I never thought to utilize the battery tray. main board, heck maybe I did, can't remember now. I think I can find a few pieces already cut to size in my sorbo scrap bag. Cool share, thanks.

Last edited:
this was one lf the early mods right after solo came out,
I found the stuff I got stuck to the board and the bottom of the battery tray so well that it was scary to try and pry it back apart afterwards.

this was one lf the early mods right after solo came out,
I remember it as between the gimbal board and the beauty plate. I remember reading someone asking Kevin on FB and another replied the Mario Mod. There wasn't a lot of info and the Mario mod videos were so-so, still had vibes.

In either case I'm anxious to try. During my months of discoveries I spent a lot of time messing with Sorbothane, it's pretty amazing stuff. I'm going to try a few ideas based on Kevin's suggestion. Got my mock up ready, just need some bench time.

I remember it as between the gimbal board and the beauty plate. I remember reading someone asking Kevin on FB and another replied the Mario Mod. There wasn't a lot of info and the Mario mod videos were so-so, still had vibes.

In either case I'm anxious to try. During my months of discoveries I spent a lot of time messing with Sorbothane, it's pretty amazing stuff. I'm going to try a few ideas based on Kevin's suggestion. Got my mock up ready, just need some bench time.
Here it is.. I did it too at the time and just did it on the new Solo...

I'm evidently having a tough time comprehending, maybe I'm reading what I want....I read between gimbal and main board from Kevin's post...my bad.

Thanks for the reminder of Ian's video, I too have had that mod since the beginning. I thought its purpose was to absorb vibration to the main board i.e. PH2? I did it on blind faith only, as I saw no direct benefit to the gimbal vibe after the mod.

You guys are taking me off task...;) All my thinking is on reducing vibes at the gimbal. I was testing new inserts this weekend and the results were further improvements. The best gauge I've found to date is reflected light, something a polarized filter should remedy. I'm still not using one. Basically the reflected light will blow out in the image with any vibration. If you look at my bridge video you can see details within the white on white of the bridge trusses. The bridge is a test pattern of sorts in natural light. I have a EV comp video comparison I'm putting together which should further illustrate the reflected light blurr, maybe post up tonight.

Capture.JPG
I really don't get the sorbathan seems like wedging something between the two gimbal pieces would be counter productive

any here is my latest test with the ribbon cable and isolation mod. Did not strip the data cable yet
I should note my props were hosed, I crashed right before this flight and chewed them up pretty good

Good Morning Mr. Pyrate
Thanks for updating all of us with your testing.
i know your using the famous Peau 3.97mm, I'm looking at you video, cause i'm debating to upgrade my 3.80.
Most of your video sold me to upgrade, but this one part of the vid?. can you tell me if this street has curvature in it? or lens distortion?

Last edited:
Again just a share of a comparison video using EV Comp as a tool. I'm fairly certain a polarizing filter would have been appropriate, but don't have one yet and it was not the complete purpose for the orbits.

In certain maneuvers the new inserts perform better. The EV adjustment was to see how good, if any improvements, based on three separate flights. The graphic details that revealed on the float was interesting, among other things, as the EV got to -1.0 in the mid day Texas sun. I've read that a CP will provide an equivalent to an ND2 filter, I think it would offer the correct amount of motion blurr based on these semi-raw videos, sharpened only in post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig