Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Not that I had to but being a new owner....read entire maunal & decided to do a level & compass calibration....

Level calibration worked fine.

Compass calibration....unsuccessful every time.....

I start the app...get the green bar in app slowing moving left to right......I take Solo point it North...and start rolling Solo end over end.....each of the LED should turn green but they never do....They just stay white in front & red in rear.....app times out......& states "Calibration Unsuccessful"

Any thoughts ???

not sure what you mean... please elaborate......MP ??? I am just following the manual with regards to Compass Calibration

I had the same problem.
I finally went out into the yard leaving the controller on the back of the car. I the started turning the solo over (flipping end over end pointing north) and then rotating around different axes. Both quads calibrated in about 45 seconds. It seemed to me that being away from anything metal or that radiates radio signals was what it wanted.
The reason for needing recalibrating seems to be because I replaced the WiFi cards to the new MicroTik units.

pyrate...yes...I am calibrating it by running the Compass Calibration app within the Solo App on my phone with the Controller turn on next to it.....maybe the Controller should not be turned on or near the vicinity when calibrating.....

Pyrate...what is MP? as you referred to above....

I had the same problem.
I finally went out into the yard leaving the controller on the back of the car. I the started turning the solo over (flipping end over end pointing north) and then rotating around different axes. Both quads calibrated in about 45 seconds. It seemed to me that being away from anything metal or that radiates radio signals was what it wanted.
The reason for needing recalibrating seems to be because I replaced the WiFi cards to the new MicroTik units.

Compass calibration needs to be done outdoors away from structures, vehicles, and other compass interfering things. Being nearby the controller had nothing to do with it.

I dont remember white dots in the solo app calibration. That is why I asked if you were using MP

pyrate...yes...I am calibrating it by running the Compass Calibration app within the Solo App...

Pyrate...what is MP? as you referred to above....
I dont remember white dots in the solo app calibration. That is why I asked if you were using MP
MP is Mission Planner. :D Google the free program.

Sorry but yes it was a werid question and an even weirder answer
the OP said something about white dots in the calibratin process. Its been a very long time since I have had to calibrate a solo in the app, but I do not remember there being white dots in the solo app. just a graphic telling you to spin it until it beeps.
Mission Planner(MP) on the other hand does have a graphic in their calibratio that shows the 3 aixs position of the UAV and you spin it until the white dots are all red I think.
So that is what led me to question what they were calibrating in.

Sorry but yes it was a werid question and an even weirder answer
the OP said something about white dots in the calibratin process. Its been a very long time since I have had to calibrate a solo in the app, but I do not remember there being white dots in the solo app. just a graphic telling you to spin it until it beeps.
Mission Planner(MP) on the other hand does have a graphic in their calibratio that shows the 3 aixs position of the UAV and you spin it until the white dots are all red I think.
So that is what led me to question what they were calibrating in.
Read it again, the OP says his LED's are white in front red in back. Not one thing about white dots in the App?

XevertS is exactly right.......I never mentioned anything about white dots in my original post.......lol

Pyrate,

well, since you have 3,344 posts, I would say you are more knowledgeable about these drones than me.....

I am just getting started....thank you for all past, present & future advice.

Solo is very sensitive to interference during Compass calibration.

As an example, had to calibrate one yesterday so took it out to the front yard, open area, and started the Cal.
The app gave me a fail every time.
So I looked around and although I was in an open area I was in a straight line between the front power pole and the house with the main power line running underground below me.
Took it to the other end of the yard and it calibrated fine, beeps every couple of seconds while calibrating, which it did not do in the first location.

So it can pick up interference you might not even be aware of.

Solo is very sensitive to interference during Compass calibration.

As an example, had to calibrate one yesterday so took it out to the front yard, open area, and started the Cal.
The app gave me a fail every time.
So I looked around and although I was in an open area I was in a straight line between the front power pole and the house with the main power line running underground below me.
Took it to the other end of the yard and it calibrated fine, beeps every couple of seconds while calibrating, which it did not do in the first location.

So it can pick up interference you might not even be aware of.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig