Checking for Sunbathers on Top of Giant Wind Turbine

F

flabango

Wind turbine sunbathers are a very elusive animal. So far to date there's only been 1 documented sighting. I thought the conditions were perfect to sneak up on one but they must have caught wind (pun intended) that I was coming and ducked out of site. :) But I got some really cool footage anyway... hope you enjoy!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Video looks good. You got this footage with Solo? No magnetic interference? Next time I go to Cali, I'm gonna try to make to the Palm Springs area where they have Windmill Farms.

Yes, with the Solo and no magnetic interference. Do it... they're fun to shoot but a little nerve racking. I have one clip where I'm even closer to the tip of the blade but I backed off a little because from my angle I couldn't tell how close I was.

I have to be honest. I will never (at least any time soon) fly Solo even too close to a motor vehicle, not until they get their sh*t together across the board. I will most likely take my I1.

I have to be honest. I will never (at least any time soon) fly Solo even too close to a motor vehicle, not until they get their sh*t together across the board. I will most likely take my I1.

I launch mine from the hood of my 4runner all the time. I even lost wifi once and it RTH'd and landed back on my hood. However, I didn't even think about magnetic interference near those turbines and probably should have. You treat your Solo like a red-headed step child don't you?

Wind turbine sunbathers are a very elusive animal. So far to date there's only been 1 documented sighting. I thought the conditions were perfect to sneak up on one but they must have caught wind (pun intended) that I was coming and ducked out of site. :) But I got some really cool footage anyway... hope you enjoy!

Very nice video....looks like they are working very hard providing power..:eek:

Very nice video....looks like they are working very hard providing power..:eek:

Thanks. They were actually spinning much faster just minutes before I arrived at around 11am. They get consistently strong winds in the mornings and evenings when the thermal dynamics of the canyon kick in. I was surprised the wind died down so quick.

Thanks. They were actually spinning much faster just minutes before I arrived at around 11am. They get consistently strong winds in the mornings and evenings when the thermal dynamics of the canyon kick in. I was surprised the wind died down so quick.
Where is this? I think I recognize it ;)

You have very nice settings on your gopro. Beautiful ascent, pans, and control. I still have not figured out what to use to get rid of corner flutters from the blades, and you have great color and tones. Any suggestions on the gopro 4 black settings? I am trying to learn the camera at the same time as learning to fly the solo. It is tough for an old fart.
Thanks

Thanks everyone! Glad you like it...

You have very nice settings on your gopro. Beautiful ascent, pans, and control. I still have not figured out what to use to get rid of corner flutters from the blades, and you have great color and tones. Any suggestions on the gopro 4 black settings? I am trying to learn the camera at the same time as learning to fly the solo. It is tough for an old fart.
Thanks

MikeyM, these setting will remove (most of the time) any view of the props or landing gear. I have my gopro 4 black set to:
2.7k medium 60fps
white balance: native
color: protune (sometimes flat)
ISO 400
Sharpness: Medium
EV Comp: -0.5
and in this case I was using the Polar Pro ND16/PL filter which made all the difference in bringing out the sky/clouds, and allowing me to shoot into the sun. I added just a touch of warmth to the white balance in post and that's it. Here's a couple of links that will help you out...
How to Edit Great Drone Video: A tip sheet | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology
Will John Snow – UXD › Getting the best from a GoPro

I have to be honest. I will never (at least any time soon) fly Solo even too close to a motor vehicle, not until they get their sh*t together across the board. I will most likely take my I1.[/QUOTE
Thats funny i sold my Inspire 1 because it was so unreliable and purchased the Solo that so far has no issues that i have experienced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig