Cellular-Tower?

Reaction score
Ive been using my iPad Air w/my SOLO & wanna get into Tower app. I've seen a lot of Nexus 7 users on forums & been thinking about getting one. Does the tablet need to have Cellular service to run Tower?

Nope. I have that setup. You need to download the map of where you are planning a mission before heading out. Search for threads that explain setting up tower and obtaining a Mapbox account. Google maps don't stay on your tablet. Tower is a great app, you can create cable cam shots without having to fly the sequence first. Make sure you know what altitudes are relevant to the flight path, trees grow, new buildingsite go up, cell towers are plced... you get the picture. Good luck, fly safe.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Ive been using my iPad Air w/my SOLO & wanna get into Tower app.?

Keith,

Although, a slight bit more expensive at $199, you might want to consider the Nvidia Shield. I fly mostly with the Shield and a Galaxy S2. I really only use the S2 on very bright days. The Shield could be a little bit brighter but short of that it's super solid. I love the built in screen recorder and the HDMI out. I do a lot of Tower runs and being able to easily screen record gives me a bit more comfort. I also like to plug the Shield into my monitor while setting up Tower runs. It gives a lot more detail than trying to do it on the tablet itself. Just a few things to consider.

EDIT: BTW, I don't have cell service on either tablet. I do use my iPhone from time to time to tether internet access via a hotspot for uploading maps if in a remote area.

Jerry

Reactions: Solo Keith
Thanks for that Jerry. I'm online now looking for a tablet. That Shield sounds like it has more tools to use w/SOLO. I try to upgrade her w/the best.
Update: Got the Nvidia Shield K1

Last edited:
Keith,

I think you'll really like it. Get a sun hood for it. I think this is the one I'm using with it: Amazon.com: Summitlink®(IB7) 7 Inch iPad mini SunShade Sun Hood Black for DJI Phantom 3 Professional Advanced DJI Inspire 1 3DR Solo: Toys & Games

Jerry
Jerry,
That is the shade I bought for my IPad. I thought it was a little on the heavy side. I even trimmed some excess to try & make lighter. It's still too heavy for me. So i don't use a screen shield. When I'm in line of site, I'm looking @ SOLO & if I send her out I'll position myself for no screen glare.

Reactions: J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig