Cellular data and hotspotting smart phone to iPad 2

BAR

Reaction score
Hi, I have a iPad 2 without cellular data. Has anyone used their smartphones to hotspot to the iPad and use with solo app?
Cheers

Smartphone hotspotting is over wifi, so your smartphone becomes a baby wifi wireless router,
not Cellphone frequency.............. it is using but 2.4 ghz wifi.

Your iPad need its wifi to communicate with Solo Controller at 2.4ghz. So no go for what u intend to do.

U need a n iPad with SIM card and access cellular data network.
However I personally use dedicated a cheapo Samsung for Solo Apps and do not allow any cellphone capability on it and try to data cache maps before flight.

Thanks SPP, sounds like by some other research that I have done that it is best to dedicate a cellular device to solo. I might look at the iPad mini.

Don't forget, you need an iPad with GPS capability, otherwise the FOLLOW ME feature wont work.
I have 3 iPads, one being the latest one an AIR 2, I think they call it that, but its too big to fit Solo Controller clamp mount.
I don't like the way my iPad Air 2 do not allow pure GPS only positioning. At least mine can't. That means it will merge wifi and cell phone tower to do positioning, aside from GPS signals. I want pure GPS only data, in Samsung/Android you can choose that. However I have on order a dedicated bluetooth GPS from BAD ELF 10hz Pro which is Apple Approved.

When I say Apple Approved means it will connect thru blue-tooth to an Apple and feed the Apple GPS data.
Apple locked down its bluetooth, no approval means no way its bluetooth will communicate with another non Apple device, unless you jailbreak.

Safe flight....

Hmmmm, maybe I will look at Samsung/Android option. That little Bad Elf looks cool though.
Thank SPP!

Okey dokey, u r welcome BAR. When u choose Android, you can use TOWER apps, this in iOS doesn't exist.
Choose very bright display Android yah, better Samsung as it is very common and well supported by 3DR.
I am too still shopping around for a new Samsung for my Solo Apps. My cheapo Samsung is small screen smartphone.
Also the BEST thing about Samsung is, you must choose the one with separate memory card bay, so you can record a lot of data from Solo Apps, including camera video feed and not loose the tablet/smartphone memory capacity. Apple don't allow u extra memory card.... he he he.

Hi, I have a iPad 2 without cellular data. Has anyone used their smartphones to hotspot to the iPad and use with solo app?
Cheers
Check out the Nvidia Shield tablet. I was using my iPad Air w/my SOLO @ first but wanted to start using Tower app. I can say I'm an Apple fan. But after buying & using the Shield, there really is no comparison between the two. Meaning the Shield blew that iPad away. Even the video display on the Shield is 10x crisper. And for $200!! Go get one today. You won't regret it

Reactions: SPP
Yes Keith, I did read ir review on NVidia Shield.
Was considering it too at one point....thanks for reminding me yah...

If your iPad doesn't have a 3G/4G modem, you can tether it to your phone over Bluetooth for a data connection. I've never tried it, but it should work. You could also get a Bluetooth GPS receiver and use that to enable location services for Solo's app on an iPad without GPS. Again, I've never tried these things, but in theory, it should get you going.

For the money I just picked up a Galaxy Tab A 8.0 from Costco for $169, online price is $199 so go to the store for $169. It's a 16gb with a 32gb expansion slot, qual core. If you run the 3dr Solo app on a hotspot before connecting to the Solo it will cache the maps. The Galaxy Tab receives both U.S. and Russian sats.

We are using the Samsung Galaxy S2 8" Tab, it is a bit pricier but the performance has been amazing. We have the non-cellular version as we love flying in manual mode and prefer caching map data before flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks