Careful when flying Smart Shots and loss of GPS!!

Reaction score
A little warning: I love the smart shots, but I was practicing the Cable Cam, and moving the drone up and down the virtual wire (moving the Right Stick left and right), and during a move, I lost the GPS signal and it went into Fly:Manual. Since I was moving the stick to the left at the time, the Solo suddenly started moving left into a tree.

Smart shots are great, and even better when flying around known obstacles since you can set the parameters. However, be especially aware when you are moving the Solo with the Right Stick when near obstacles. It might be smarter to use the buttons on the app.

Mine fell to the ground but it was a short fall onto grass, no damage.

Mike

That can't be the way it was designed to work can it? I'm curious if it would have stayed on the virtual wire if you hadn't touched the stick and you lost GPS.

I've never used cable cam because I am a 'newbie.' Do you have to manually send it down the wire or will it fly back and forth on its own?

To use the cable cam, you fly it where you want as point A, then set point A. Then you fly it to another location and set point B. Then you move the stick left/right to have it fly back and forth between point A and B. This allows you to use one stick to move it along the virtual cable, while you focus on the camera shots.

I believe 3DR intended for the GPS to work all of the time - but Solo does in fact lose satellite connection from time to time.

I make sure there's not a tree within 200 yards of my flight line. Haven't scratched Solo yet and I'm learning more about landscape videography as Solo is best suited for this - flight in an area with no obstacles and a clear view of the sky. Lots of grass and sky in my video...

To use the cable cam, you fly it where you want as point A, then set point A. Then you fly it to another location and set point B. Then you move the stick left/right to have it fly back and forth between point A and B. This allows you to use one stick to move it along the virtual cable, while you focus on the camera shots.
Thanks for the info.

You can also hit the play button in the app and it will automatically fly back and forth for you.

No way it can finish a smartshot when you lose gps. Only choice it has is manual. That would be like walking along a cliff and losing your site. Wouldn't you stop?

No way it can finish a smartshot when you lose gps. Only choice it has is manual. That would be like walking along a cliff and losing your site. Wouldn't you stop?
That would be like jumping on ice while walking along a cliff after losing my sight. Not sure there is any good option here. Maybe straight up?

No perfect option. You are right there. 3dr just needs to get gps working better. The bird relies heavily on gps.

Reactions: prowler9
A little warning: I love the smart shots, but I was practicing the Cable Cam, and moving the drone up and down the virtual wire (moving the Right Stick left and right), and during a move, I lost the GPS signal and it went into Fly:Manual. Since I was moving the stick to the left at the time, the Solo suddenly started moving left into a tree.

Smart shots are great, and even better when flying around known obstacles since you can set the parameters. However, be especially aware when you are moving the Solo with the Right Stick when near obstacles. It might be smarter to use the buttons on the app.

Mine fell to the ground but it was a short fall onto grass, no damage.

Mike
Hi Mike, You wouldn't happen to have the log of that flight do you. Would love to see some #s on it at the point it switched over. The logs will be on your tablet. If not sure how to retrieve them...http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/tlogs-tlogs-everywhere.862/#post-11958

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo