Brown Pants Moment

Reaction score
Had my first real brown pants moment with Solo today - well aside from sending my first one into the ocean.

I was flying around an impressive bridge connecting Whidbey Island to Fidalgo Island here in WA. First battery was spent off the East side of the bridge over the water taking some Panos and few manual and smart shots of the bridge.

Next battery, flew quite a bit closer to the bridge and ran an HDR shot in Solex. I was prob about 200-300 ft away, Solo was in sight, though obscured by some tree tops.
After the HDR shot completed, Solex screen was frozen on the photo mode screen of the view the of the HDR shot, Controller stated "Waiting for Solo" and I heard the propeller frequency change as Solo ascended and came home. I pressed a multitude of buttons as Solo came over head, controller Screen still stated "Waiting for Solo."

Solo did an ok job of coming home, attempted to land on a metal railing about 2 meters from actual launch point - had to catch it, little drama there.

I walked a way with an intact bird and camera, as well as the SD containing the shots from the flights, so I can't be too bummed - but I am pretty bummed and a little spooked about Solo's behavior, as I have never had such an abrupt loss of control link.

Of note:
-I was sorta close to the side of the big iron bridge, the top of bridge was a little over and to the left, but not easily blocking plenty of good GPS signal. See photo below for position of bird just before event.
-I could have had more trees, metal railing, and even terrain between me and Solo, and just wasn't aware.
-No link was reestablished during the trip home.

Well, figured I'd give you fine folks in the forum here a shout before pulling logs and stuff.

Thanks for any insight.

GOPR9111.jpg

Follow up question for the crowd:

Do y'all redo your startup sequence between battery changes?
- I simply power down solo. Swap battery, power, up, link is established with controller which stays powered on, then Solex catches up. Am I sucking here? Would it be good practice to power cycle everything?

Follow up question for the crowd:

Do y'all redo your startup sequence between battery changes?
- I simply power down solo. Swap battery, power, up, link is established with controller which stays powered on, then Solex catches up. Am I sucking here? Would it be good practice to power cycle everything?
I do the same thing you do and have never had a problem.
Regarding your main issue, it sounds like Solo lost the controller signal which is understandable given the circumstances. I don't know why you never reestablished contact though.

I had that happen once, recently. Don't know why Solo lost contact but it came home and landed close to the takeoff point. I was concerned that I could not take control even when Solo was feet away. Never happened again so I didn't pursue it any further.

A log review will be necessary to really see what happened.

What you experienced sounds like the the WiFi card in the solo or controller locked up. If it was just trees in the way of the signal, it would have re-established contact. I have had this happen once in the last year. Pushing buttons without a connection will do nothing. So that was futile.

Reactions: Maddog
...Pushing buttons without a connection will do nothing. So that was futile.

I admire your directivity and candor, P2P. Well aware of the futility of my actions, body over mind seems I couldn't just stand there and just watch.

I sorta felt like riding shotgun in a car and pressing the break in a near rear-end; an equally useless action.

Upon playing with everything on the bench last night to ensure all operated as normal - which it did - i discovered I have a sticky power button on the Controller. Quite sticky in fact. Possible culprit? I've read about many wonkybcinnection issues caused by a sticky power button

If the power button was stuck down, it would turn off the controller. So it's not likely the issue. That said, I would definitely fix that! The controller turning off mid flight is certainly not a desirable incident.

Reactions: Pushjerk
What you experienced sounds like the the WiFi card in the solo or controller locked up. If it was just trees in the way of the signal, it would have re-established contact. I have had this happen once in the last year. Pushing buttons without a connection will do nothing. So that was futile.
Is there a fix for that? Or is it just an intermittent event?

I am a lazy and irresponsible Solo owner. I have not addressed my sticky power button issues, though I have had some great flights since my one instance addressed early in this thread.

I had an issue again this eve. Had one great flight in the beach. Packed up the bird, but the sunset key on rocking and rolling, so broke out Solo one last time at the car.

Powered up solo about 15 feet away from car. All was good. Took off, started to ascend and fly forward. Solo immediately went into RTL. Looked down at Controller, and the LCD was as off just powered down.
IMG_6135.JPG
Landed just fine. Majorly concerned though.

Came home, powered up Solo and attempted to manually power down Controller while all linked up. All symptoms the same, LCD as above, and alternating flashing red lights on solo.

Tips for unstickyfying a Power button on Controller?

This is what I was hoping to capture before the Controller issues. This was Wifey's 5D MkIII - not the best lens as she was shooting our kids, but still nice.

IMG_6136.PNG

I had an issue again this eve. Had one great flight in the beach. Packed up the bird, but the sunset key on rocking and rolling, so broke out Solo one last time at the car.

Powered up solo about 15 feet away from car. All was good. Took off, started to ascend and fly forward. Solo immediately went into RTL. Looked down at Controller, and the LCD was as off just powered down.
View attachment 5099
Landed just fine. Majorly concerned though.

Came home, powered up Solo and attempted to manually power down Controller while all linked up. All symptoms the same, LCD as above, and alternating flashing red lights on solo.

Tips for unstickyfying a Power button on Controller?

Did you fix the sticky power button? It sounds like it powers up and is shutting down due to the sticky button? I had the same issue and fixed the sticking power button By dissasembling controller polishing plastic power button and lubing with dry silicon lube. Took care of the button remaining stuck down when powering on.

Yeah Xevets, tore down the Controller and hit the right parts with some sand paper. No sticking any more. The button actually "clicks" now! Let's hope this is the culprit.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig