Brand new Solo Directors Kit package unopened for sale.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I returned a 3DR Solo.

It's gone!!!

Thanks.

Don.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    913 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
1) With the Solo at $599 with Gimbal at a store that does take returns, you might want to re-consider the price.
2) With 1000s of both professional and hobbyist loving their Solo and producing incredible videos, why would you take the word of a few negative posts as evidence of a bad product? There is not a product from Mercedes to Rolex to Apple or DJI that does not have unhappy customers, and having those customers is not evidence of anything but normal online. You have to remember that for any product, those having an issue are more likely to take to the internet to voice their dissatisfaction. The vast majority will be using and enjoying the product and not online talking about it. My solo was in the first batch to arrive a year ago. I use it regularly for both commercial and hobbyist flying without issue.

Good luck with you sale..

Thank you Jubair,

I do agree that most of the online feedback is negative. I know that there are many who don't post their positive feedback online.
But there doesn't seem to be just " a few " negative posts. There seems to be a bunch of them. The thought of a flyaway scares the crap out of me. I've been playing MRs for several years now and have one had one attempted flyaway while using the 3DR APM. I found the problem was due to a bad Deans connector that caused a voltage bounce. I was lucky that it happened only a foot above ground. It didn't make it far before it struck a prop and tumbled into a parked car. I've since gone to using the Eagle Tree Vector FC. I've been very happy with that controller. It doesn't have the same flight modes as the Solo. The Solo has some really nice features.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Don.

Thank you Jubair,

I do agree that most of the online feedback is negative. I know that there are many who don't post their positive feedback online.
But there doesn't seem to be just " a few " negative posts. There seems to be a bunch of them. The thought of a flyaway scares the crap out of me. I've been playing MRs for several years now and have one had one attempted flyaway while using the 3DR APM. I found the problem was due to a bad Deans connector that caused a voltage bounce. I was lucky that it happened only a foot above ground. It didn't make it far before it struck a prop and tumbled into a parked car. I've since gone to using the Eagle Tree Vector FC. I've been very happy with that controller. It doesn't have the same flight modes as the Solo. The Solo has some really nice features.

Don.
Hi Don, No problem. Like you, I have been flying for years (since 83) and have built MRs with most controllers including ET Vector, pIxhawk and APMs and a few others. Certainly you know that a broken deans would send any MR to the dirt. You can't take anything you read on RCG seriously as that was a coordinated effort to discredit the Solo. So add whatever weight to my experience you want. But I think you should give it a go.

Be Safe..
Jubal

What were you thinking you wanted when you purchased it? What has changed? Are you going to fly anything? I see a lot of negative comments on emotions and not so much on facts. I don't see too many experienced and intelligent people have such poor issues - some do. Most issues are due to the lack of experience and knowledge. In this context all manufacture will have problems. I saw someone posted yesterday that 3dr is closing their doors- all hear say and rumors. If this is so, you will see this guy buying a dozen more Solos. It is a solid platform that can expand while serving several purposes.

I personally believe this $600 drone can compete squarely with anything on the market for $1,500. I'm not happy I paid $800 last month but that's life.They do not fly away and they do warranty all mishaps due failures, not caused by the operator.

I lost a motor two months ago and had a new drone in my hands in less then a week at no cost to me. They taught me how to read the tlog and we could see the #3 motor pod went high amp just prior to the crash. They covered it. What other manufacture can support you like this? My advise is, your going to take a hit on you purchase and depending how you answered my questions at the beginning. I would open the box and have a blast. Come back here with any questions as several of us a around to help.

Burke

Reactions: Benzo
Thank you Jubair,

Don.
If you think this is bad, you should lurk in the DJI forums for a bit, where a flyaway routinely = "sorry, go buy new quad. Here's where you can order one...".

Solos very very rarely just fly away. All quads will have occasional GPS issues as there are many factors that affect it, and most are external to the quad. The GPS system just wasn't made for precision accurate flying (I doubt they even conceived of all the ways we are using it) when it was put in place many moons ago. It's really a weak signal to begin with. If you know how to fly in manual, you most likely won't experience many, if any, serious issues, especially since you're already an experienced operator. When most people say their solo "flew away", it really just lost GPS signal and automatically switched to manual mode, and the operator didn't know what to do or how to fly in manual and panic, so it drifts off somewhere or they fly it into a tree. Had they known how to fly in manual, it wouldn't have been an issue.

The solo can take quite a beating compared to other MRs out there. It is a very rugged and durable design. A crash on the solo often just means dusting it off and replacing some props. Others would crack a shell or break an arm off under the same crash scenarios.

Personally I have a tracker on my Solo (Marco Polo). If my solo flies off, it will eventually land itself when the battery gets low enough, and then I can just track it and go pick it up. Very cheap insurance in case it is needed. Knock on wood, I haven't needed it yet. No service fees and doesn't rely on GPS or cellular. Just a radio transmitter and a receiver with about a 2 mile range, so it will work everywhere.

If you think this is bad, you should lurk in the DJI forums for a bit, where a flyaway routinely = "sorry, go buy new quad. Here's where you can order one...".

Solos very very rarely just fly away. All quads will have occasional GPS issues as there are many factors that affect it, and most are external to the quad. The GPS system just wasn't made for precision accurate flying (I doubt they even conceived of all the ways we are using it) when it was put in place many moons ago. It's really a weak signal to begin with. If you know how to fly in manual, you most likely won't experience many, if any, serious issues, especially since you're already an experienced operator. When most people say their solo "flew away", it really just lost GPS signal and automatically switched to manual mode, and the operator didn't know what to do or how to fly in manual and panic, so it drifts off somewhere or they fly it into a tree. Had they known how to fly in manual, it wouldn't have been an issue.

The solo can take quite a beating compared to other MRs out there. It is a very rugged and durable design. A crash on the solo often just means dusting it off and replacing some props. Others would crack a shell or break an arm off under the same crash scenarios.

Personally I have a tracker on my Solo (Marco Polo). If my solo flies off, it will eventually land itself when the battery gets low enough, and then I can just track it and go pick it up. Very cheap insurance in case it is needed. Knock on wood, I haven't needed it yet. No service fees and doesn't rely on GPS or cellular. Just a radio transmitter and a receiver with about a 2 mile range, so it will work everywhere.
Where and how do you have your Marco Polo mounted?

Where and how do you have your Marco Polo mounted?
I just mounted it with some zip-ties though the slots where it says "link". You could use velcro too but I didn't want it coming off if it hit trees or something rubbing against it hard. I also wanted it centered for balance, although it barely weighs anything. I've seen others strap it to a leg.
20160615_122505.jpg

20160615_122439.jpg

I just mounted it with some zip-ties though the slots where it says "link". You could use velcro too but I didn't want it coming off if it hit trees or something rubbing against it hard. I also wanted it centered for balance, although it barely weighs anything. I've seen others strap it to a leg.
View attachment 3582

View attachment 3583
WOW! A LOT smaller than I thought it was. Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Jubair,

Don.
YA ive had my up's and DOWNS (no pun intended) but in the end 3DR took the problem and fixed it for me, ya I was really PO'd but we want instant gratification and we don't get it we attack whom ever we can. years ago things were done by mail. so relax don't give your self hi blood pressure.

Thanks David,
3dr has always been responsive to me when I emailed them. That's been a few years ago now.
As fas as BP goes, I think it's a little late.
I've got a couple of flights in now and I'm really happy with the flying. I do see some little oddities. Yesterday right before takeoff, in a wide open area, it alerted me for GPS. It previously was solid 11sats. I'm glad I didn't attempt to take off in GPS mode.
I usually take off in stabilize mode. A throwback to the old controllers.
I'm really happy with it.
The only bummer was I bought it thinking I could use it with my GP 3+ silver. Of course, thats the only one it doesn't work (control) with.
Now I think I'll be selling my GP 3+ Silver and old version 2 GP to offset the cost of the Hero4"

Don.

Thanks David,
3dr has always been responsive to me when I emailed them. That's been a few years ago now.
As fas as BP goes, I think it's a little late.
I've got a couple of flights in now and I'm really happy with the flying. I do see some little oddities. Yesterday right before takeoff, in a wide open area, it alerted me for GPS. It previously was solid 11sats. I'm glad I didn't attempt to take off in GPS mode.
I usually take off in stabilize mode. A throwback to the old controllers.
I'm really happy with it.
The only bummer was I bought it thinking I could use it with my GP 3+ silver. Of course, thats the only one it doesn't work (control) with.
Now I think I'll be selling my GP 3+ Silver and old version 2 GP to offset the cost of the Hero4"

Don.

I realize this is an old thread but the 3dr smart shots are compatible with the 3+ and 4 you probably just needed to update the 3+ software.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl