bench test for the gimbal?

Reaction score
Is there any way to test the gimbal for proper movement and connection without having to fly it or get GPS signals? Do you need to have the GoPro connected to get it to respond?
I recently was flying my new solo when the gimbal went limp to the left, I pressed the home button, and it shot up went to the takeoff spot and came down 10' short and crashed into a tree about 30' off the ground. When it hit parts went all over. All the blades were destroyed, the camera took a direct hit and smashed the lens, and the gimbal was tweaked. I would like to know if there is a way to test the gimbal for movement and camera function while I wait for camera parts. Are there replaceable parts for the gimbal?

First, you should send a repair ticket to 3DR ASAP.
They will tell you about your gimbal & why Solo missed judged it RTH location. If Solo's fault, they will replace everything, even your Gopro

10' away, hit a tree? it's always better to take off from a clear area no "Trees, buildings, cars" at the lease 25' from any obstacles. Set your RTH height to above any trees, power lines, buildings ...
This way, if a bad gust of wind or any missed judged distances will still work out.

Last edited:
First, you should send a repair ticket to 3DR ASAP.
They will tell you about your gimbal & why Solo missed judged it RTH location. If Solo's fault, they will replace everything, even your GoPro

10" away, hit a tree? It's always better to take off from a clear area no "Tress, buildings, cars" at the lease 25' from any obstacles. Set your RTH height to above any trees, power lines, buildings ...
This way, if a bad gust of wind or any missed judged distances will still work out.
Sorry 10' away from takeoff site, not inches:). I tried to take off in a clear area (my driveway no trees) but had an "Electrical Interference" warning on the controller, so I moved to the neighbors driveway to launch. It took off fine and I flew it back over my yard hovered at 30' for a bit when the gimbal went limp. I tried to adjust the gimbal angle with no response so I hit the home button. It went up very fast to the default height, maneuvered over to the launch site (neighbors driveway) and came down to a tree that was 10 feet short of the launch area.

Is there any way to test the gimbal for proper movement and connection without having to fly it or get GPS signals? Do you need to have the GoPro connected to get it to respond?
I recently was flying my new solo when the gimbal went limp to the left, I pressed the home button, and it shot up went to the takeoff spot and came down 10' short and crashed into a tree about 30' off the ground. When it hit parts went all over. All the blades were destroyed, the camera took a direct hit and smashed the lens, and the gimbal was tweaked. I would like to know if there is a way to test the gimbal for movement and camera function while I wait for camera parts. Are there replaceable parts for the gimbal?

Sounds like you need to do a compass and level calibration in the SOLO software.

I'm willing to try..where is the info to do this compass and level calibration for the SOLO software?

Sorry 10' away from takeoff site, not inches:). I tried to take off in a clear area (my driveway no trees) but had an "Electrical Interference" warning on the controller, so I moved to the neighbors driveway to launch. It took off fine and I flew it back over my yard hovered at 30' for a bit when the gimbal went limp. I tried to adjust the gimbal angle with no response so I hit the home button. It went up very fast to the default height, maneuvered over to the launch site (neighbors driveway) and came down to a tree that was 10 feet short of the launch area.
In that type of area, you should probably use manual mode and not the home button . If you are not comfortable flying manual then you should probably look for a more open area to learn it. Flying with trees and houses near by can certainly block gps enough to have only a 10' or more margin.

I'm willing to try..where is the info to do this compass and level calibration for the SOLO software?
Not near my solo etc right now.

But take off propellers and start solo and controller and let them link.

Start Solo app and you'll see either settings or calibrations. Follow the instructions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44