Battery level reported as -1%

Reaction score
I was flying about 1000-1500 feet from home at about 400ft high, testing antennas. I had lost controller connection twice on this flight (not sure if this is connected, but reporting it anyway), otherwise everything was going normally.

A few minutes in I got the flight battery at 10% warning, and the solo started to RTH. I went ahead and let it come in. The solo app reported the battery level to be -1%, and the controller said 0%. I figured it was an error, but I still was sweating watching it land.

After landing, I saw there were 4 lights on the battery lit, and when I power cycled it, it reported as 54% in the app.

Bad battery, or nothing to worry about?

I've heard the smart battery electronics need to be discharged below 10% to recalibrate the percentage reading. If so, I guess it would be a recalibration of the battery and not Solo.
I also wonder if there are any parameters that take the reported battery voltage and turn it into a percent remaining in Pixhawk 2 with these smart batteries. I know on my "dumb battery" multirotors you can calibrate the power monitor that feeds the Pixhawk.

UPDATE:

It happened again today with a different battery, again while about 1000 ft out, 400 ft up. On restarting the solo, the battery level reported normally. It only happened once out of 4 batteries of flights.

RMA the solo? Factory/pixhawk reset?

P.S. I was using Solex this time, and it told me to "get out my credit card", LOL.

If it's still under warranty I would contact 3DR support via chat if you haven't already.

I have a couple of recently purchased batteries that kind of wig out during flight. One will show 100% for a moment and the other will show a 0% on occasions. Could be a connector issue in the battery or a faulty data stream. In either case 3DR will warranty the batteries, you'll need to provide a flight log of an event...

I thought initially the issue was related to the battery data wires (green/white off Solo's battery plug), turns out they were fine. You may want to check your data wires just in case....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl