Are people changing their GPS?

Reaction score
Been reading about the GPS issues some have been having. I've also seen comments that with he new firmware update people are experiencing faster GPS lock also.

I saw a YouTube video where the guy switched out his GPS for another (better?). Has this been something others have/are doing? Is it too early in the Solo to worry too much about this? I s the $5 and ordered the GPS cardboard separator piece, and wondering about changing the GPS altogether. I've seen people using better antennas, changing out wifi cards (have two sitting on my workbench for when I finally get my solo). Also have the flat hdmi ribbon cable relish is selling on it way to me.

Reactions: J R
Tro,

Like you, I read a lot about most of the things you are prior to receiving my Solo. I decided to wait on doing these mods until I actually flew with the bird stock for a while. I've got to say, other than the video glitch I had (fixed by the HDMI ribbon cable), the birds been pretty solid stock. I think I've picked up from reading these threads that some of these mods have been somewhat obsoleted by firmware and software enhancement. I'm out in the boonies but I usually have at least 7-8 sats before I'm even ready to fly. After a minute or two in the air I'm at 10-14 most of the time. I'm just sharing because you seem to be doing things similar to the way I have. You're doing your due diligence before you even get your bird.

I just purchased the FPVLR setup just in case I want to get out further than I am now (I don't really need it). Short of that and the ribbon cable, I've held off on anything else. All-in-all, the birds been pretty solid. Learning about motor and prop balancing, various GoPro cameras and lenses and trying to alleviate as much vibration as possible has consumed more of my time than anything else (Aside from my posts here, of course!).

My opinions only,

Jerry

Reactions: Burkeam
Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the reply. And it was actually an answer I was hoping to hear. I'm very interested in solo because I've haven't had great experiences with DJI (not starting issues with those who enjoy their products, just my own personal experience). Just sold my Discovery Pro, after not having flown it for 6 months (I just don't trust the Naza FC). So doing as much home work on the Solo while I save up.

Reactions: J R
Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the reply. And it was actually an answer I was hoping to hear. I'm very interested in solo because I've haven't had great experiences with DJI (not starting issues with those who enjoy their products, just my own personal experience). Just sold my Discovery Pro, after not having flown it for 6 months (I just don't trust the Naza FC). So doing as much home work on the Solo while I save up.
Troian27, Must must have took the same route. I've found this board has been very help for me as a new comer to 3DR. I did do the GPS antenna and shield mods and too heard the updates have made some gps improvement. I would fly yours as is. If you have some issue or it's not responding to your expectations you could then. Easily add a shield, verify nothing is shorting on your gps battery and then finally swap out the GPS reciever. I just saw no reason to go back to stock yet. What ever you do I hope you get the same enjoyment myself and others have owning and operating the solo. Please ask away. You will normally get a response(s) the same day.

Putting the benefit / non benefit arguments of the 7 Vs 8 GPS aside, I did change my GPS to an M8N.
I was surprized to see the copper foil touching the circuit board under the GPS when I opened it up, so I have lined the bottom of the GPS board with masking tape to keep the foil off the board, but I did make sure the foil was still connected to a (-) ground.
I didnt really have a problem with satelites, but it just took a while to get lock on the stock GPS.
With the M8N I only ever have to wait a minute or two and I am right to go, and usually have up to 20 satelites when in the air and HDOP at 1.0
I did all the reading first and I know the benefit (or lack of it ) and risks from doing this mod and the possibility of an inaccurate HDOP etc, but i decided to go ahead with it anyway. It is reversible so I decided to give it a shot. The fact that it reduces my start time is probably enough for me to keep the mod in, but I am always open to opposing arguments.
Position hold is excellent and RTH comes in within a foot of launch position.
No complaints from me. (Purely personal findings)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150