Another newbie here...

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Like many others I also got myself a 3dr solo over the weekend with the next buy promotion. I was shopping for drones for a while and when i saw that price i had to jump for it.

I haven't open it nor any of the accessories mainly because of the camera connection that i been reading here at the forum.

When i read about the gopro integration i never tought that was more an exclusivity and you cannot use the gimbal with other cameras like sjcam or off brands, i found some 3d prints to modify the gimball and install a few pocket cameras on the drone but they won't provide fpv.

My plan is to use my cameras with a second tablet and get the fpv that way and a phone or tablet to get the solo app.

Question... can i control the gimbal from the remote/ app even if there is no camera detected??

Wondering if the WiFi of one and other device would diminish the range of them??

Is there an aftermarket software that could allow me to use

Welcome :)

I havent tested it, but there's no reason why the gimbal control wouldnt work regardless of gopro being installed (other appear to have done it)

I wouldnt recommend using wifi of a camera device in addition to the Solo. In theory if they were operating in non-overlapping channels it would 'work', but the desensitisation factor of two radios being so close together would reduce your range.

The biggest issue of using non gopro cameras is triggering the shutter/video. There are some pwm converters out there that work with some cameras (eg Seagull #MAP2 - Seagull UAV or sLED v2 Sony RC Shutter for A7,A7R,A6000,Nex-5 and others - Flytron), but require a little tinkering. I'm going to have a crack at installing a NEX-5 onto my second solo using one of these, but it'll be fixed mount, not gimbal.

I know it's frustrating that the Solo itself is now cheaper than a Hero4 black * sigh * but it's plug and play and easy to get started with.

Thank you for the reply, im still thinking if is or not worth to have it and use other cameras, for me is just a toy to share with my 9yo and buying a $350 $400 dollars camera just for that is the whole xmas budget plus the drone. The dji 3 is about $399 and comes with the camera...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If all your want is to use it as a toy, you can always just take the wireless video camera from a cheapie drone, attach it to Solo with Velcro, and fly FPV that way. You'll get quite a bit of added flight time too.
I've used the camera from a Dromida drone for this, and just about any would work fine - they stream directly to your phone separately from the Solo app.

Thank you we have a smaller drone with camera but no wifi... wondering if i plug my sjcam to the hdmi port will i get the video feedback onto the app? Not really interested on being able to control record stop pause functions...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I can confirm that you will get a video feed on the app using cameras other than a gopro. I have my akaso 4k camera strapped to the gimbal instead of my hero 4 because the gopro is always freezing. Of course youll have to start recording prior to take off but it is what it is. I used a micro hdmi extension cable for the hook up. It worked on the solo app, tower and solex for me. You can see in the pic that the video is steaming to the solo app with the akaso connected. The cable looks long but I have full control over the gimbal with no interference.

UPDATE: While I can get a feed through the app. The Akaso 4k wont allow me to record while the hdmi cable is attached which sucks. Basically you can do FPV but you cant record, at least with this camera. I plan on buying a Garmin Verb soon and Ill keep you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    929.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks