Another motor pod failure.... and so many more issues.... Gimbal, Solo App, GoPro...

Sounds like the bearings might just need a bit of lube. Mine started sounding bad after about 40 hours of flight. A little TriFlow teflon lube and good to go.

Sounds like the bearings might just need a bit of lube. Mine started sounding bad after about 40 hours of flight. A little TriFlow teflon lube and good to go.

Hmm.. will have to try that. Do I have to remove the pods to do that?

Yes, it's not the easiest thing to do. You have to remove the motor from the motor pod to get at the bottom bearing (there are 2 sets in each motor...top and bottom).

Not going to read through all of this so if it is redundant, I apologize. It is documented that the camera will never point strait ahead, it is a feature, not a problem to be repaired. It does that so the left leg is less likely to be in the shot. What does it matter anyway? We have full rotation control of the solo, if you want it pointed a different direction than it is going, rotate the Solo a few degrees and keep shooting. Crabbing along is one of the major features of a quad.

I say this because your new unit will do the same thing and I don't want you to be frustrated. No one's camera is aligned exactly with the front of the Solo and shouldn't be.

Yes, it's not the easiest thing to do. You have to remove the motor from the motor pod to get at the bottom bearing (there are 2 sets in each motor...top and bottom).

Well heck at that point I'd rather just replace the bearings! LOL.

Alright Pyrate,

I am not dumping on 3DR, their service or products, I am, as I said just blowing off some steam and hoping someone has insight that they might be so kind as to share.

Okay, some insight. On the app disconnecting over and over again here's what I've found.

In Android 5 you must go into WiFi>Advanced and deselect "Avoid Bad WiFi connections". Also deselect "WiFi Notification"
In Android 6 you must go into WiFi>Advanced and deselect "Always Use Ethernet (or disable "Ethernet Override"). This one is counterintuitive. Also deselect "Network Notification".

The problem with these settings is that Android is trying to help you out by preferring a WiFi connection that has internet access.

If the above doesn't work reinstall Solo App while keeping these settings as above. I had a RMA all lined-up and ready to go back to CA until I reinstalled Solo App. Tech Support was stumped enough on this problem to issue an RMA.....thank goodness I didn't need to send it back

Last edited:
Just a question to those with failures?
Was there any odd noise or whistle sound at anytime or did the one motor feel or turn any different than the others by hand?

I've had good luck thus far beside a little gps issue here or there, but since release one of my pods has felt different and I've heard a sound on occasion from I'm assuming this single motor. It's been fine since release, but it still concerns me that it's different. Are these motors just unique like a snowflake or is this one eventually going to be an issue?

Nope. didn't for me. Recording is digital file anyway, so don't think it matters. Not sure even why GP has a setting for that. I think all that does is the output on the HDMI port. Have no idea what else it controls, but interesting enough it fixed it. I did notice that makes my iOS based tablet 3DR app not work! So I have to switch it back to NTSC. Strange YES. Did it work for me, Yup.
Well, I will for sure try that out if 2.0 doesn't fix my issues! Thanks!

BTW. Received a response from 3DR on this last night:

"The noise on some motors is considered normal, this will not affect the Solo's functionality at all"

Not sure if I am confident in that and want my Solo crashing down. This weekend I'm going to make a video and send that over to them. Also have an RPM meter coming in and will check for vibrations. When 3 out of the 4 motors sound good and the 4th one sounds louder and sounds "marbly", I have a slight issue with that. I'll just spend the $60 myself and get a new pod and be on the safe side.
Better to be safe than sorry. I had no warning that I noticed anyways..

Okay, some insight. On the app disconnecting over and over again here's what I've found.

In Android 5 you must go into WiFi>Advanced and deselect "Avoid Bad WiFi connections". Also deselect "WiFi Notification"
In Android 6 you must go into WiFi>Advanced and deselect "Always Use Ethernet (or disable "Ethernet Override"). This one is counterintuitive. Also deselect "Network Notification".

The problem with these settings is that Android is trying to help you out by preferring a WiFi connection that has internet access.

If the above doesn't work reinstall Solo App while keeping these settings as above. I had a RMA all lined-up and ready to go back to CA until I reinstalled Solo App. Tech Support was stumped enough on this problem to issue an RMA.....thank goodness I didn't need to send it back

Nice, saved your advice to a txt file for later when I receive my new gimbal and motor pod. With the different wording from one Android version to the next + device manufacturer ROM to the next it gets CONFUSING. I have an LG G4, a Sony Xperia Z2 and Ipad mini 2. So ya.. LOL

Just a question to those with failures?
Was there any odd noise or whistle sound at anytime or did the one motor feel or turn any different than the others by hand?

I've had good luck thus far beside a little gps issue here or there, but since release one of my pods has felt different and I've heard a sound on occasion from I'm assuming this single motor. It's been fine since release, but it still concerns me that it's different. Are these motors just unique like a snowflake or is this one eventually going to be an issue?
If it were me, I would contact 3DR, they honestly try to be helpful. So far they have been good to me. They are going to replace my gimbal, replace the motor pod that went bad and a new set of props. I was hoping they would change out the entire unit since it flipped and I am sincerely concerned about the other motor pods and the rest of the internals to be honest, but at the same time I understand that they didn't want to for now. they did say that if there were further problems they would address them right away. So ya, give them a shout. They do make an effort for their clients.

Nice, saved your advice to a txt file for later when I receive my new gimbal and motor pod. With the different wording from one Android version to the next + device manufacturer ROM to the next it gets CONFUSING. I have an LG G4, a Sony Xperia Z2 and Ipad mini 2. So ya.. LOL

Dang, you need Rosetta Stone for devices...

Not going to read through all of this so if it is redundant, I apologize. It is documented that the camera will never point strait ahead, it is a feature, not a problem to be repaired. It does that so the left leg is less likely to be in the shot. What does it matter anyway? We have full rotation control of the solo, if you want it pointed a different direction than it is going, rotate the Solo a few degrees and keep shooting. Crabbing along is one of the major features of a quad.

I say this because your new unit will do the same thing and I don't want you to be frustrated. No one's camera is aligned exactly with the front of the Solo and shouldn't be.
I agree with your logic Samphoto, however, mine was so far off that over at medium field of view, I was seeing the right leg and motor pod for that matter. In my case something was not right, even after many confirmations that the data and HDMI cable were not binding. I have been told by 2 different 3DR technicians that it should point straight forward. Daniel and Abraham of 3DR told me this. It's very odd.... I think that want you say makes perfect sense, but why is 3DR telling me otherwise... I believe that having it off center just a little is probably a good thing, but for goodness sake why the mixed information to this degree!? I have no gain in making this up, I swear to god these two gentlemen at 3DR told me it's supposed to point straight ahead...

If it were me, I would contact 3DR, they honestly try to be helpful. So far they have been good to me. They are going to replace my gimbal, replace the motor pod that went bad and a new set of props. I was hoping they would change out the entire unit since it flipped and I am sincerely concerned about the other motor pods and the rest of the internals to be honest, but at the same time I understand that they didn't want to for now. they did say that if there were further problems they would address them right away. So ya, give them a shout. They do make an effort for their clients.

Yea I've mentioned it with another ticket before and seems until it's more of an issue I should go with it. I'm ok with that, but I'm not as confident flying very far away since the noise seems to have become louder over time now and I try to be as safe as possible. Im also trying to be sure I can find it if it goes down so I may just go ahead and buy one, swap it and keep this one as a backup so I don't worry so much. I mainly just want to be sure it's ready for when the weather breaks around here. I flew today and it was brutal, hands hurt before my battery hit 50 percent. Have to say though the multipoint cable cam in app now is a very welcome and exiting addition. I don't really have time to plan everything in tower or mp most times so I'm pretty happy with that and the satellite number and hdop improvements I'm seeing. Seems 2.0 is a great update and we didn't even have to buy a whole new bird like with the marginal improvements on certain other platforms that still look and fly the same. Thanks for the response though, fly safe.

Reactions: Andrew McCuaig

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado