Another interesting Tower run (Better screen record)

How did you all learn to set waypoints?? What would you suggest I read to be able to do the same??

Thanks
First you need an Android device, ideally one with cellular data and GPS. Then you download and install the Tower app from 3DR. Then watch YouTube videos and check 3DRs website for instructions. That should get you started. Here's a link: Tower | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

You can also use the search function here and search "tower".
Lots of tidbits sprinkled here and there.:eek:

How did you all learn to set waypoints?? What would you suggest I read to be able to do the same??

Thanks

Ralph,

The links Francisco provided are a great way to get started. A couple of hints. Start small, just do 3-4 waypoints, a triangle or square. Make sure they aren't too far apart. Make sure they are high enough to clear any obstacles. Put the first and the last fairly close to where you take off. Don't worry about any of the fancy stuff. Just use regular waypoints. After you get a feel for how your bird reacts and you get more comfortable the you can start playing with the fancier stuff. Just go slow, steady and carefully.

Before you do any autonomous flight make sure you know how to fly in manual mode and always be prepared to do so if necessary. If you don't know how to fly manually I wouldn't do any waypoint flying. Just my two cents! Good luck, have fun and be safe!

Jerry

So I haven't found this answer to this question yet (is there comprehensive Solo+Tower FAQ?). In the middle of a tower mission if the Solo goes out of comms range and/or loses GPS lock how does the solo behave? Since the Solo has pre-programmed autonomous behavior around those scenarios not sure if Tower overrides any of those.

-

So I haven't found this answer to this question yet (is there comprehensive Solo+Tower FAQ?). In the middle of a tower mission if the Solo goes out of comms range and/or loses GPS lock how does the solo behave? Since the Solo has pre-programmed autonomous behavior around those scenarios not sure if Tower overrides any of those.

-
No FAQ's as such- you just pick it up here and there, like this:
Somewhere in Tower there is a setting that will tell Solo to continue the mission even if it loses contact with the controller. That will prevent a RTL if you don't want it to do so. Otherwise, Solo will RTL.
Normally, if Solo loses both GPS and controller contact it will land where it is at- I don't know how it will behave during a mission if it loses GPS lock.

Ralph,

The links Francisco provided are a great way to get started. A couple of hints. Start small, just do 3-4 waypoints, a triangle or square. Make sure they aren't too far apart. Make sure they are high enough to clear any obstacles. Put the first and the last fairly close to where you take off. Don't worry about any of the fancy stuff. Just use regular waypoints. After you get a feel for how your bird reacts and you get more comfortable the you can start playing with the fancier stuff. Just go slow, steady and carefully.

Before you do any autonomous flight make sure you know how to fly in manual mode and always be prepared to do so if necessary. If you don't know how to fly manually I wouldn't do any waypoint flying. Just my two cents! Good luck, have fun and be safe!

Jerry

If you starting operating flights controls in the middle of a mission does it immediately end the tower flight?

If you starting operating flights controls in the middle of a mission does it immediately end the tower flight?
No, while in a mission, your stick input will be ignored unless you get out of the mission with pause, manual, etc.

If I set the FS_THR_ENABLE =2, Does this stay set only for this one mission or is it permanent change for future missions?
Also, if Tower isn't being used, just the solo App, will this parameter change effect Solo flight?
This may already have been answered?

Thanks

Reactions: Shawn Mehlert
If I set the FS_THR_ENABLE =2, Does this stay set only for this one mission or is it permanent change for future missions?
Also, if Tower isn't being used, just the solo App, will this parameter change effect Solo flight?
This may already have been answered?

Thanks
Changes to Params are permanent. However, they can get overwritten, for example during a software/firmware update.

I do not know if the Solo app overwrites Parameters set using Tower (or any other ground station software). I doubt it, except possibly when changing performance settings (turtle vs rabbit) in the Solo app.

It is possible (and sometimes useful) to fly with both the Solo app and Tower. You can interrupt a mission, do a smart shot like cable cam in the Solo app, and then switch back to Tower to resume the mission from where you left off.

Thank you Mr. @erikgraham,
Just confused, after Pram. set to 2 from Tower, then next day, just using Solo App & lose connection, what will Solo do?

So I tested it, yes call me crazy but I was very curious about your question, so I uploadeded the failsafe throttle parameter to 2, brought solo (with the controller) to about 10 feet from ground and turned off the conntroller, solo landed gracefully. I wouldn´t dare test it flying at a longer distance but I am confident that UNLESS solo is running a Mission that parameter is not relevant to controller based flight.

Another thing: the parameter stays set to 2 even after the "not running mission" loss of controller and auto landing process so be careful with your missions and don't assume anything.

Regards!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn Mehlert
So I tested it, yes call me crazy but I was very curious about your question, so I uploadeded the failsafe throttle parameter to 2, brought solo (with the controller) to about 10 feet from ground and turned off the conntroller, solo landed gracefully. I wouldn´t dare test it flying at a longer distance but I am confident that UNLESS solo is running a Mission that parameter is not relevant to controller based flight.

Another thing: the parameter stays set to 2 even after the "not running mission" loss of controller and auto landing process so be careful with your missions and don't assume anything.

Regards!
Thanks for the Reply @Francisco Cobos,

Needed to know this, although I trust you & your testing, I will perform the same short test, just to be for sure.
Thanks for bring Tower out of the shadows & in to the light.

Buenas noches

Thank you Mr. @erikgraham,
Just confused, after Pram. set to 2 from Tower, then next day, just using Solo App & lose connection, what will Solo do?
It will still RTH as normal. That parameter only effects 'Guided' or flights during missions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44