Adjust GoPro Settings During Flight?

Once again, communication seems to have broken down.
The forum IS for people with issues.
It is NOT a 3DR public whipping post/b"@&h forum.
See the diff?

Once again, communication seems to have broken down.
The forum IS for people with issues.
It is NOT a 3DR public whipping post/b"@&h forum.
See the diff?
3dr created the problems by rushing the release. See the diff?

Dude.
The problem isn't 3DR.
It's you. That's the diff.
Some of us don't necessarily march in lock step with 3dr. We realize that you can polish a turd all day long and at the end of the day it is still a turd.

Some of us don't necessarily march in lock step with 3dr. We realize that you can polish a turd all day long and at the end of the day it is still a turd.
Do you realize that with your exquisitely erudite post you just confirmed everything I've said? Having stated that, I don't march in lockstep like a good liberal (mainly because I'm a Repub), and as a writer, I take a seriously dim view of plaigarism. To "Polish a turd"? Indeed.
Well, when in Rome, I guess:
"He would cross the street just to step in dog (doo)".
Ring any bells?
All of the people that rushed to plunk down their cash, credit card, or to just write a check for the fabulous "New" flying machine that purportedly idiots could fly are now realizing a sad truth:
Nothing is idiot proof.
Never has been, never will be.
There is hope, however - said idiots always out themselves eventually.

In a world where money talks & bull shit walks.
In the car Mar market, value of a particular car is measured by what it brings in at the auction/used car lot.
What makes a car worth more/hold its value is many factors, longevity, warranty, looks and how it drives.
Hard to judge only on one factor.
3dr Solo 90% of its new price
What is the phantom's bring?
Research a little to find the answer.

Yes, I'm a car dealer, I know its not a perfect scenario, but still, can't judge just on one feature.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr and Del
The "tools" created by the "community" is a very large strength, and one of the reasons many of us bought Solo... The fact you see this as a weakness is very telling.... It appears to me you don't actually want the results.... You want to dictate how they are schieved... The FACT is that Solo is progressing VERY quickly, with numerous products and capabilities being added.

You also forget to mention all the incredible things it can do right NOW. Show me another platform that I can program missions and control the gimbal as part of it? I'll wait...

If you have to change fundamental settings in GoPro mid flight, then I would suggest you learn more about photography. I have used GoPro's since the very first one came out (that I still have) and RARELY change those things in the heat of filming.... But oh yes.. I forgot. You know all about everything, and speak for everyone... Again... Pfffttttt...

So......You now understand that you will have control in October. If that wait is unacceptable, or your panties are in such a bunch over the gimbal delay that you can't have an adult relationship with 3DR, or you don't have "confidence" in the Solo.... Quit bitching and send it back...

Either way... I don't think I can learn anything more from you. I am out... And like your pal Michael Stevenson, you are ignored. I have no time for whiners that sit in puddles and complain their but is wet.

Last time... as I won't see any more of your posts. please... Please... PLEASE..... Send it back and figure out a way to be happy instead of incessantly whining about something you could actually fix but apparently don't want to.
The "tools" created by the "community" is a very large strength, and one of the reasons many of us bought Solo... The fact you see this as a weakness is very telling.... It appears to me you don't actually want the results.... You want to dictate how they are schieved... The FACT is that Solo is progressing VERY quickly, with numerous products and capabilities being added.

You also forget to mention all the incredible things it can do right NOW. Show me another platform that I can program missions and control the gimbal as part of it? I'll wait...

If you have to change fundamental settings in GoPro mid flight, then I would suggest you learn more about photography. I have used GoPro's since the very first one came out (that I still have) and RARELY change those things in the heat of filming.... But oh yes.. I forgot. You know all about everything, and speak for everyone... Again... Pfffttttt...

So......You now understand that you will have control in October. If that wait is unacceptable, or your panties are in such a bunch over the gimbal delay that you can't have an adult relationship with 3DR, or you don't have "confidence" in the Solo.... Quit bitching and send it back...

Either way... I don't think I can learn anything more from you. I am out... And like your pal Michael Stevenson, you are ignored. I have no time for whiners that sit in puddles and complain their but is wet.

Last time... as I won't see any more of your posts. please... Please... PLEASE..... Send it back and figure out a way to be happy instead of incessantly whining about something you could actually fix but apparently don't want to.

I agree. Wipe those tears, blow your nose and just send the thing back. Send it back, send it back. Then just move on to the dji forums and be happy. I just don't see what's so hard about that. 3DR allowed you to send it back within a more then fair timeframe. I don't see rrmccabe bitching all over this forum and he was one of the first to send his back. I respect that.

I agree. Wipe those tears, blow your nose and just send the thing back. Send it back, send it back. Then just move on to the dji forums and be happy. I just don't see what's so hard about that. 3DR allowed you to send it back within a more then fair timeframe. I don't see rrmccabe bitching all over this forum and he was one of the first to send his back. I respect that.
Amen.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I am right... And you are simply wrong. The ONLY thing in your list that it doesn't currently do is control the GoPro settings (other than record) and that IS because GoPro changed their firmware before 3DR came out with the software.

3DR has come through with EVERY promise. Just not as fast as you would like. And now you have to wait a WHOLE month (gasp) for complete GoPro control.... Heaven forbid you can't change ISO settings in mid flight... ROFL...

And now you speak for all (or at least 50% of) Solo customers? Pfftttt.... Hogwash... People that are unhappy with Solo have beeen able to send them back, so unless they are massochists, my guess is the most are happy with their Solo (though I don't pretend to speak for them as you do).

I get it... You were unhappy at the delay in the gimbal, and now you are pissed that you can't change your GoPro settings mid flight.. All that angst for that. Wow.... Assuming you got the gimbal with the Solo, you still have time. Please... PLEASE... Send yours back. Apparemtly we will both be happier.

Then maybe we can get back to talking about using the tools
Hear Hear, couldn't help but agreeing with everything said, I have my Gimbal which has a Fault, but I still think the Machine Combo as a whole is fantastic it's doing everything I want and more after all it is a very stable Camera Platform. That's what I bought it for.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Do you realize that with your exquisitely erudite post you just confirmed everything I've said? Having stated that, I don't march in lockstep like a good liberal (mainly because I'm a Repub), and as a writer, I take a seriously dim view of plaigarism. To "Polish a turd"? Indeed.
Well, when in Rome, I guess:
"He would cross the street just to step in dog (doo)".
Ring any bells?
All of the people that rushed to plunk down their cash, credit card, or to just write a check for the fabulous "New" flying machine that purportedly idiots could fly are now realizing a sad truth:
Nothing is idiot proof.
Never has been, never will be.
There is hope, however - said idiots always out themselves eventually.
Sometimes it takes getting ugly to get the attention of the intellectually superior. It worked.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. In a few of the Solo promotional videos, they show settings being changed while the drone is flying. For example, in the first promo I ever saw (link below at about 2:10) they change the FPS mid-flight. Also at 1:47 in the video below, there's a menu opened with a bunch of GoPro settings. How do I access these? I realize this video is old and was largely conceptual when it was made. Are these features not actually available?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Glad you asked the question. I thought I was loosing my mind.

Earldgrayjr and Marich you two put on a good show tonight. Are you happy now? Marich (the writer), you said it best. There is hope, however - said idiots always out themselves eventually. Please stop with the passive aggressive behavior, I read the rules I know this is not the forum for your behaviors! Thank you have a goodnight gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turd.... Heh heh. Never thought I'd fly a turd 6500ft with video feed tilt the smoothed out shot and fly and automated rail shot. Hitting a button if I screw it up and hands off it Flys back over a lake and lands at my feet. Clever turd.

Maybe with the expansion board and the grabber function in tower I could actually deliver a doorstep turd.... Turdzon or amaturd

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Ummm...thanks everyone? Just wanted to know if these features were already out and I couldn't find them. I'm happy to wait for an update. I'm very pleased with my Solo. And I've been very pleased with 3DR support and customer service.

Reactions: Old Gimper
Earldgrayjr and Marich you two put on a good show tonight. Are you happy now? March (the writer), you said it best. There is hope, however - said idiots always out themselves eventually. Please stop with the passive aggressive behavior, I read the rules I know this is not forum for your behaviors! Thank have a goodnight gentlemen.
Marich and I are right. Don't put me in the same boat with the poster that is illogical. I will jump out rather than stay there. And as you can see, there is also nothing "passsive agressive" about me. I am quite up front, and though won't start a fight, will call someone out when they are wrong.

I am here to help and learn, as are most. My record stands for itself. And I stand by the logic of what I said.

Last edited:
Let's not let GoPro off the hook. The reason the GoPro 3+ doesn't work with the gimbal is because GoPro changed the firmware which makes it incompatible. Only solution is to go backwards with prior firmware. GoPro would also have to make firmware changes to allow 3DR to enable recording start/stop from app. There's nothing 3DR can unless GoPro makes changes first.
Now the question begs to be asked. How motivated is GoPro to continue to work with 3DR now that they have announced their own drone project. I'll go further and wonder what's stopping GoPro from issuing firmware updates that suddenly make older model GoPros incompatible, thus forcing users to purchase newer GoPro models?
This just happened with the GoPro 3+ / gimbal snafu. GoPro needs to be put on notice.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Let's not let GoPro off the hook. The reason the GoPro 3+ doesn't work with the gimbal is because GoPro changed the firmware which makes it incompatible. Only solution is to go backwards with prior firmware. GoPro would also have to make firmware changes to allow 3DR to enable recording start/stop from app. There's nothing 3DR can unless GoPro makes changes first.
Now the question begs to be asked. How motivated is GoPro to continue to work with 3DR now that they have announced their own drone project. I'll go further and wonder what's stopping GoPro from issuing firmware updates that suddenly make older model GoPros incompatible, thus forcing users to purchase newer GoPro models?
This just happened with the GoPro 3+ / gimbal snafu. GoPro needs to be put on notice.
Could not agree more.... Fortunately... The GoPro bus is published, and a LOT of people are getting in the game, from a dozen cheap knockoffs, to specialty cameras (infrared, etc.) to the really high end stuff... I expect many cameras to use this bus and form factor in the near future.

The REALLY capable (and currently expensive) stuff isn't "quite" at the GoPro size yet, but they are headed there quickly, and they are absolutely in the "UAV capable" market now.

RED RAVEN™ - 4K Professional Digital Camera

GoPro is obviously a leader. It is really interesting to me that GoPro decided to make a drone and not other things in the face of new competition they are seeing. They delayed GoPro 5. If the delay is to add capability to keep ahead of the competition (what they are saying) then great. If it is to work on drones, then I question the logic. It would seem to me they would be better off making GoPro the camera for every drone (and everything else) rather than make the drone which is just one aspect of the capabilities... but that's just me...

People are coming at GoPro from the top (making better stuff smaller) and from the bottom (making cheaper stuff more capable). I would think they would have their hands full right in their wheelhouse of just small portable cameras... It will be interesting to see how they handle the competition.

Last edited:
The fact is the promo videos were misleading and 4 months after launch the features are still missing. It's a terrible launch. Could you imagine if apple released an iPhone and then failed to make the camera app work as they promised for 4 months after release. Product launches like this are unacceptable by quality companies. There is no denying that and it inhibits the companies growth because lots of people won't be buying 3dr anymore when DJI is right beside it on the shelf. I garentee that upper management at 3DR are very unhappy with the release I know if I owned the company I would be pissed

Got my gimbal installed. Didn't even remove the battery cover, I just was careful to route my cables out of the way. Works flawlessly so far. Finally might be able to enjoy flying this as much as I love flying my Phantom 3 Pro.
Phantom 3s are having a major issue with the shells cracking, a few have had one of the motors actually detach from the arm causing catastrophic damages to the drone, gimbal and camera. DJI refuses to acknowledge this design flaw, of course.
The Smart shots that DJI advertises are not smart. If you want Smart Shots like the Solo, you have to pay $15 for an app that allows it - one of those community based fixes that some above are complaining about...
Very easy to get props in the frame on the Phantom.

The Solo launch was a fiasco and I hope that 3DR learned from it. The delays were frustrating.
The whiners who hang on here are even more frustrating.

I own a Phantom 1, and Phantom 2 non vision, and the Phantom 3 Pro.
I own a 3DR Iris+ and a Solo.

Please don't call me a Phanboy of either company.
I am a realist who recognizes problems with both companies.
I predict both DJI and 3DR will continue to thrive despite the whiners, whom I predict will simply move on to another cause they deem worthy of their ....voice.

I can't say as I disagree. Participants here tend to represent the "bleeding edge" as far as their interest and knowledge of the Solo are concerned. However what I'm hearing from many people that are just thinking about getting a rig is something like: "Solo? Isn't that the company that's had all kinds of issues/problems?" A number or write-ups and reviews have expressed the same concerns.

Whatever the cause-- 3DR GoPro, Customs-- the problems with the rollout have definitely hurt 3DR to some extent. Not to say that they can't recover or that the negative perception by many will endure.

Personally despite several issues where I had to send items back for replacement (controller would not charge gimbal lost HDMI) I'm sticking with 3DR and I'm confident that for my purposes there's no better platform currently out there.

I guess what I don't quite understand are all the comments where some folks seem obligated to complain about those complaining. Criticism and complaints are a well established part of virtually every forum I've participated in for many decades. Even the most ardent fans have a perfectly valid right to complain given their own experiences with the product. I think there's a lot to be learned reading negative reviews. It's not like folks are just making things up-- they report things that have actually happened to them. And yes, many are upset given the investment.

I don't see how suggesting that they just ship it back and stop complaining contributes much to the overall usefulness of the discussion.

So shoot-- feel free to complain away. Perhaps I'll learn some things that might help me avoid whatever problem you're having! :)

The fact is the promo videos were misleading and 4 months after launch the features are still missing. It's a terrible launch. Could you imagine if apple released an iPhone and then failed to make the camera app work as they promised for 4 months after release. Product launches like this are unacceptable by quality companies. There is no denying that and it inhibits the companies growth because lots of people won't be buying 3dr anymore when DJI is right beside it on the shelf. I garentee that upper management at 3DR are very unhappy with the release I know if I owned the company I would be pissed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150