A Few Solo Questions For A Newbie!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been flying now for about a week, and I'm trying to work out a few things and hoping you might be able to answer my questions!

1) I'm flying with 2.4k 60/f on my Hero4 Black with iPad Mini4, and want to know if I can change that while in-flight (or before) through the app? I can't seem to find where to edit the camera settings inside the app?
2) Is there a control in the app, or button to be set on the controller, that lets you take photos while in video mode on command?
3) Multi-Point Cam. Do you need to fly to each point in that shot? or Can you somehow touch to create GPS points on the map?
4) Installing the FPVLR Solo v2 - simple? Connect and fly?
5) In GoPro Studio, is it easy to colour/grade the footage? And get the really cool speed up / slow down drone shots? And is the output quality good enough? Compared to say the quality/complexity of... Adobe Premier?
6) In the iPad app, is it possible to automatically create and fly a GPS coordinate flight path? I'm looking for the ability to swipe on the map, and tap to create GPS coordinates and then have Solo fly a round trip?

Many thanks!

Don't know if all my answers will be correct but here they are anyway.
1. Yes, with firmware 2.0.0 you can change camera settings. The settings button should be right under your control button. You don't have nearly as many settings as the gopro app but can change your video and camera settings among switching between camera and video.
2. Yes in settings switch between camera and video on the fly.
3. I believe you have to fly to each point to mark your setpoint. The file is auto saved and can be loaded again if you wanted. Android has an app called Tower which allows you to set way points on maps then upload to the Solo but I don't believe ios has an app for that. Could be wrong.
4. Yes, FPVLR's are screw on and fly. Keep in mind they're kinda directional.
5. I use Adobe...not sure but I believe you can do the same in the gopro studio
6. As I said, I don't believe iOS has the Tower app but it might be called something else.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Welcome to the forum SHIFTED!

To further clarify:

1) On the main Solo app screen, there is a red "record" button on the right side. Below that is a "2 slider" icon- press on it to gain access to the camera settings menu. You can switch back and forth between video and photo mode there.

2) You have to switch between video/photo mode with 1 above.

3) Haven't used it yet.

4) Plug & fly- see post #2.

5) Very basic functions for color. Can speed up/slow down. Don't know how output compares to other programs. Certainly good enough for YouTube, etc.

6) No, but there is an app in the App Store that does much of what the android Tower app does. Can't remember the name but it's about $15.

Awesome, thanks guys. Very much appreciated.

Follow up question on the "Directional" antenna... how does that currently differ from the stock Solo Antenna? In that I currently try to point it at the drone, but don't always have to... will this require me to 100%?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's lots of YouTube videos on the FPVLR's but with mine I have to point towards the flight path or the signal drops. Well worth the money though. I use the Alpha 7dBi booster antennas only because I don't have to remove from my controller everytime I put it back in the packsack. But also have the FPVLR's when I'm in an area with lots of interference..trees and wifi traffic.

Last edited:
The stock antennas are Omni-directional- meaning they send a signal out over 360 deg. So you can fly Solo while its behind you.

Not so with the FPVLR, especially at longer distances.

The stock antennas are Omni-directional- meaning they send a signal out over 360 deg. So you can fly Solo while its behind you.

Not so with the FPVLR, especially at longer distances.

Got it, thanks! Do the Alphas do the 360? omni-directional?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

here is Tony from FPVLR demonstrating the antenna beam width in a lab test
(starts at 1m10s)

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado