3dr solo.

Reaction score
have all the bugs been eliminated from the 3dr solo?
I bought one of the first ones that came out.
nightmare. than we had the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait for the gimble.
nightmare.
all kinds of things went wrong with the solo and gimble.
are the soloand gimble any better now?
are they worth having?
thx Don

If you did not like it then you wont like it now
ok thx

I got one of the first Solo's it's never been a nightmare. Sure I had no gimbal, WiFi disconnects and looong GPS lock times. Like a rescue dog from the shelter my Solo has become my best drone by far.

Fast forward 2 years and my Solo has the mRo GPS module, 11" props and FPVLR antenna. After hundreds of flights my Solo still gets the most usable footage of all my drones, in the cold, in the wind.....

During this time my P3 wore out, my P4 is crap however my H is a nice machine. Problem with my H is it's temperamental and has been in for repair a few times. My Solo always works, always gets the shot, albiet not the best IQ.

I fly my Solo 5 feet off my hood so low it scrapes the brush; I'm even comfortable flying 1/2 mile out in an autonomous orbit, nothing else I own can do that.

I paid full pop for my Solo but with the deals out there today you could get a Solo, upgrade it and have a better machine than a P4 IMO, with change to spare.

Only disappointment is being stuck with the GP and gimbal which works fine for what I do.

Reactions: pious_greek
and just wait to see what is coming
all the stuff 3dr promised but never delivered is actually here
boat mode
optical flow
object avoidance
long range telemetry

boat mode
optical flow
object avoidance
long range telemetry

Ok, I've been away from thus group for a while. What's coming and how do I get it? :)

Philip and ProfiCNC have released the new PH 2.1 cube
the predecessor to the PH 2 in solo
they started falling into our laps about a month ago. Peddals and a few others have tweaked arducopter 3.6 and 3.5 to load onto it
Effectively making the solo a solo 2 that can now live on
there is even talk of CANBUS ESCs coming
Along with a major new GPS module that is kicking butt

I am currently flying it on my back up solo
its sweet

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
the predecessor to the PH 2 in solo
they started falling into our laps about a month ago. Peddals and a few others have tweaked arducopter 3.6 and 3.5 to load onto it
Effectively making the solo a solo 2 that can now live on
there is even talk of CANBUS ESCs coming
Along with a major new GPS module that is kicking butt

I am currently flying it on my back up solo
its sweet

Very cool! I have the Munoz upgraded GPS in mine. Is there yet another option?

There is, but I'm flying a rev b on my cube solo, and an MRO on my primary. Will most likely put a here gps on my cube one. Once all the kinks are out of master, I will most likely do cube and here on both my birds

wifi disconnects and it's not a nightmare? haha. My launch-day Solo didn't have that issue thankfully, but yea the 4 month wait for gimbal was absolutely brutal.

boat mode
optical flow
object avoidance
long range telemetry

how much time and money to get that in the Solo?
10 DIY hours and the cost of a Mavic?

I have a NVidia shield k1.
will this tablet work well on the solo?
thx D

I just looked at some of the video that I took when I had the solo.
there was no gimble.
lots of fish eye on the hero 4 black.
is the fish eye still on the hero 4 black or has that been corrected?
thx D

nothing to correct, it is an action cam with a wide angle lens, that is by design
there are work around processes to get rid of it, that range from the gopro free app to replacing the lens

Just wanted to throw it out there. @ $189 there is no better deal. You just can't beat it. I spent over $1200 for all my gear. Sucks but I've used it enough to justify.

the predecessor to the PH 2 in solo.....Effectively making the solo a solo 2 that can now live on

Does this mean that the stock Solo will never see Arducopter master? In other words, the only way to safely fly the latest Arducopter is to upgrade the PH in the Solo? Not complaining if that's the case, it's just that I've seen Arducopter updated to fix/support much more obscure flight controllers than the Solo.

And of the new features that the latest Arducopter enables, none really enhance or expand things like Smart Shots, right? It seems the big features are/will be boat/throw mode, blended GPSs, EKF2, etc. Nice, but outside boat mode, don't drastically change the Solo as an AP platform outside relatively specialized uses.

Personally, I think Solo fills my needs more than sufficiently as is. If/when I build a custom, I'd definitely use a PH 2 and, hopefully by then, a smart shot supporting companion computer will be relatively easy to set up. I'm just not seeing a feature or features that make me want to run out and upgrade the PH in the Solo. That, and I probably dropped more money on Solos and other multirotors over the past 2 years than I can justify!

Reactions: RichWest
the original PH2 has some sort of esc voltage flaw that was addressed in the solo branch of arducopter
the cube fixes it in hardware
I cant say that it will never be flyable on the stock solo PH2
but the major effort that is on going is being done with the solo PH 2.1 now called simply the cube
solo should be supported in ardu master by version 3.6

I just looked at some of the video that I took when I had the solo.
there was no gimble.
lots of fish eye on the hero 4 black.
is the fish eye still on the hero 4 black or has that been corrected?
thx D

Switch to medium or narrow field of view if you don't like the look of a wide angle lens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig