Z Camera promotion on B&H

Gimbal cannot. This would be for still photo's only in my opinion. A Sony 5100, Which I use, would be a better choice on a fixed mount.

I bought one used a while back for $250, which was a good price at the time. This is a great price, new. As for the camera, yes, it will not work with the Solo gimbal. You could probably jury-rig it to fit the stock GoPro mount, but will not fit inside the bracket as the E1 has a larger body than the GoPro. But most everyone knows that the stock GoPro mount is crap for capturing usable video, anyway. I use the E1 with self-built drones.

As for the camera: great images. I've used it to capture stock footage which I've posted for sale on a stock imagery retail site. It's a 4K micro four-thirds, so lenses are smaller than a normal DSLR, imaging chip is smaller, but still better than a GoPro type action cam. That makes it more drone-worthy than a DSLR. And it can capture in their version of a log format. The auto-focus sucks. I've lost many shots because the auto-focus was off the mark. The viewing screen on the back is too small to really use for good focus check. Where it excels is if you have a cine lens and use it totally in manual mode. For drones, that's do-able in situations where you set the focus and aperture in advance and don't need to change settings mid-flight. And it has an app to control it from your phone. At $199 I'm tempted to pick up a second.

P.S., a good, versatile lens for this camera is the Olympus 14-42mm M.Zuiko zoom lens, which works OK with the autofocus and is relatively inexpensive. There is an ED version of this lens which is a pancake style lens that is very short, better balance, but more expensive.

Last edited:
By the time you add a lens to this camera its the same as a Sony 5100 with the kit lens. The Sony is a far more capable camera I think at about the same weight.

for video you would have to explain why the the sony would be better, the sony does not shoot 4K and has bad bitrates, which is what I dont like about the Ecam

By the time you add a lens to this camera its the same as a Sony 5100 with the kit lens. The Sony is a far more capable camera I think at about the same weight.

The Olympus 14-42mm M.Zuiko MFT lens usually runs around $80 or $90 on eBay, so the total package would be just under $300. The Olympus lens is fairly light, too, which is good for drones. Maybe not so relevant on this forum, though, as it doesn't really fit the Solo.

for video you would have to explain why the the sony would be better, the sony does not shoot 4K and has bad bitrates, which is what I dont like about the Ecam
I'm talking still photo's not video. sorry for the lack of clarification.

oh what the heck, after reading up on this camera a bit, I got one. For 200 bucks surely I can find some use for it. I already own a few lenses and a 14mm that I rarely use on the ground so let me see what it can do

I ordered one at 8 minutes to midnight last night. I was sitting in bed using my tablet and saw the OP. I didn't see the expiration time until my son pointed it out, but made it. It's like a sensor that you can slap a lens on. I'm already invested in micro 4/3 lenses and the Panny G85 is my goto camera. Once I saw it had a Panny sensor and used the Sony Ambrella chipset at $199 it was done deal.

Last edited:
And they do have an open API if we can get one of the smart guys to tap into it.
Or use Solex command feature to leverage it.
Still very disappointing bit rates. but no worse than a Gopro 4. And I pull good video out of one of those with a modified lens. Since this has interchangeable lenses its like a gopro with ribcage and better sensor. According to the big guy over there, they are going to keep pumping out firmware upgrades. So we will see

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I'm a confirmed 'gadgetiteer'. I'll see if this is something I can use in some application. If I didn't have 4/3rd lenses, I'd have passed.

what lenses your run? I have the 14mm and 25mm primes and a 12-32 kit plus a 45-150 zoom
going to most likely put the 14mm on the zcam since I use the others on my gx85

what lenses your run? I have the 14mm and 25mm primes and a 12-32 kit plus a 45-150 zoom
going to most likely put the 14mm on the zcam since I use the others on my gx85
Panny 14-140mm, 14-45mm MEGA O.I.S, 20mm pancake

NOOB question. Wiil the video stream to 3DR app of any cam with HDMI output? I figured it was gopro propietary no?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela