Will Walmart tablet work?

Reaction score
Purchased iPad 2 for solo app until I found it wasn't compatible!!!!!!
Was wondering if a RCA-Voyager-7-16GB-Tablet-Android-6-0-Marshmallow from Walmart would work. Any help would be great!!!!!!

They have pretty underpowered video systems and processors, so while it might work, I expect there would be a noticeable lag.

Reactions: Dougneal
I get flawless video with my Samsung Galaxy S5, but the screen is too small to really be of any use. So I decided to try using a cheap android tablet I found on Amazon.

Amazon.com : 9.7 inch Tablet Octa Core 2560X1600 IPS Bluetooth RAM 4GB ROM 64GB 8.0MP 3G MTK6592 Dual sim card Phone Call Tablets PC Android 5.1 Lollipop GPS electronics 7 8 9 10 Black : Computers & Accessories
Pros:
Was actually $100 when I bought it, so wasn't too out of pocket.
Has a very nice screen and when I loaded the Solo and Solex app on them, there wasn't any issues, ran the software fine.
It has GPS built in that doesn't require a sim card (in the sense that you can download offline maps and it will plot your location!)
A 10" screen is very easy to see compared to using your tiny cell phone screen.
Came with a screen protector on it to stop the glass from getting scratched!

Cons:
Just_Bruce is right (damnit!) although it will play video's fine, it's just not fast enough to process/decode the solo videostream and display it while working the app at the same time. The image either lags, or breaks up/freezes completely (but the app still runs regarding info you get, it's just the live video that is affected). Mind you, don't have the same issue streaming gopro footage or footage from my canon camera, they stream a much lower resolution file.
Not bright enough either, you'll need to have a hood AND be sitting in the shade ... indoors... on a cloudy day... Ok, maybe it's not THAT bad, but it's just not bright enough.
Says it has a memory card slot.. kinda true.. it has one, inside the damn thing, not on the outside, so not ideal for pulling the card out of the camera and slotting it into the tablet for viewing/editing footage.
Remember I mentioned that GPS feature, well it's pretty weak and I couldn't get it to work at all offgrid.
That screen protector seems to be made of the worlds easiest to scratch plastic. Need to take it off and put a proper protector on it.

Final Verdict:
This will be useful for using the mission planning features in Solex, using with my gopro's, or setting up live shots with my canon. But just not fast enough to use as a screen for my solo.

Last edited:
I get flawless video with my Samsung Galaxy S5, but the screen is too small to really be of any use. So I decided to try using a cheap android tablet I found on Amazon.

Amazon.com : 9.7 inch Tablet Octa Core 2560X1600 IPS Bluetooth RAM 4GB ROM 64GB 8.0MP 3G MTK6592 Dual sim card Phone Call Tablets PC Android 5.1 Lollipop GPS electronics 7 8 9 10 Black : Computers & Accessories
Pros:
Was actually $100 when I bought it, so wasn't too out of pocket.
Has a very nice screen and when I loaded the Solo and Solex app on them, there wasn't any issues, ran the software fine.
It has GPS built in that doesn't require a sim card (in the sense that you can download offline maps and it will plot your location!)
A 10" screen is very easy to see compared to using your tiny cell phone screen.
Came with a screen protector on it to stop the glass from getting scratched!

Cons:
Just_Bruce is right (damnit!) although it will play video's fine, it's just not fast enough to process/decode the solo videostream and display it while working the app at the same time. The image either lags, or breaks up/freezes completely (but the app still runs regarding info you get, it's just the live video that is affected). Mind you, don't have the same issue streaming gopro footage or footage from my canon camera, they stream a much lower resolution file.
Not bright enough either, you'll need to have a hood AND be sitting in the shade ... indoors... on a cloudy day... Ok, maybe it's not THAT bad, but it's just not bright enough.
Says it has a memory card slot.. kinda true.. it has one, inside the damn thing, not on the outside, so not ideal for pulling the card out of the camera and slotting it into the tablet for viewing/editing footage.
Remember I mentioned that GPS feature, well it's pretty weak and I couldn't get it to work at all offgrid.
That screen protector seems to be made of the worlds easiest to scratch plastic. Need to take it off and put a proper protector on it.

Final Verdict:
This will be useful for using the mission planning features in Solex, using with my gopro's, or setting up live shots with my cannon. But just not fast enough to use as a screen for my solo.
Doncha just hate it when I'm right?

:p:D:eek:

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Thank you very much for your help. I have yet to try out my new solo and I guess I'll see how the cheap tablet works. Later when I have more cash I will buy a better tablet. Till then I will try to live with the Walmart tablet.

Thank you very much for your help. I have yet to try out my new solo and I guess I'll see how the cheap tablet works. Later when I have more cash I will buy a better tablet. Till then I will try to live with the Walmart tablet.
Hey Raptor, if you did have the c@$h what tablet would you invest in for your solo? Thx in advance!

Hey Raptor, if you did have the c@$h what tablet would you invest in for your solo? Thx in advance!
Probably the nexus 7. Or a iPad mini. Not to sure, I would have to shop a little more. Hope this helps.

Of the two you sited, I recommend the nexus it mates best to the solo and has fewer glitches that iPad with solo.(also cheaper).
Keep reading postings on this forum, it will help in avoiding the trouble you mentioned in your other post. TRUST the people here, they want to help and their collective brain is off the chart.

Of the two you sited, I recommend the nexus it mates best to the solo and has fewer glitches that iPad with solo.(also cheaper).
Keep reading postings on this forum, it will help in avoiding the trouble you mentioned in your other post. TRUST the people here, they want to help and their collective brain is off the chart.
Thank you. I agree. The nexus is cheaper, and if it works better than the iPad then I would definitely take the nexus. I hope to soon try it. Thank you again!

I purchased a Samsung 8" tablet from CosTco for a little over $100.00. And it works much better than the RCA I bought from Frys.

I purchased a Samsung 8" tablet from CosTco for a little over $100.00. And it works much better than the RCA I bought from Frys.
Thank you. When my budget allows I hope to buy a better tablet.

Well i may have to eat my words. I bought one and I'm playing h_^^., trying to connect to wifi. After some searching I find it is an owning issue. I haven't figured it out yet but when and it i do I'll post it.

Well i may have to eat my words. I bought one and I'm playing h_^^., trying to connect to wifi. After some searching I find it is an owning issue. I haven't figured it out yet but when and it i do I'll post it.
Should read ongoing.
Purchased iPad 2 for solo app until I found it wasn't compatible!!!!!!
Was wondering if a RCA-Voyager-7-16GB-Tablet-Android-6-0-Marshmallow from Walmart would work. Any help would be great!!!!!!

Question regarding previous discussions on type of tablet to use for Solex app flight. I downloaded the most recent version 1.5.3 of Solex app and now need to aquire a tablet for use, from what i have read thru the forum it sounds like an android based tablet is required with most liked, the 5.0 lollipop processor. However do i aquire the well documented Nexus 7 2nd gen with the 4.4 Kitkat then upgrade it to the 5.0 lollipop or is it possible to use the Nexus 10 or any 5.0 processor tablet which comes with the 5.0 ? Thank you guys for any insight...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000