Wifi Card Upgrade Tutorial and Range Test - 1.36 miles or about 125% increase

Reaction score
First of all thanks to the folks on this forum for the idea of swapping the stock card for the R11e.
Below you will find a step by step tutorial followed by a range test using the MikroTik r11e-2hnd in both the remote and Solo itself.
This is not as simple of a mod as the m8n mod so be prepared to do some major disassembly and reassembly.
Link to where I bought the cards is in the video description.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this is good because a low power wireless card maximum power consumtion is 5W

First of all thanks to the folks on this forum for the idea of swapping the stock card for the R11e.
Below you will find a step by step tutorial followed by a range test using the MikroTik r11e-2hnd in both the remote and Solo itself.
This is not as simple of a mod as the m8n mod so be prepared to do some major disassembly and reassembly.
Link to where I bought the cards is in the video description.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This is the best solution for better range then all others listed here. My complements to you sir!

What about updates from 3DR for Solo/controller? any possible problems? & Do you think that 3DR would cancel repair ticket if different WIFI card shows up?

Thanks

This is the best solution for better range then all others listed here. My complements to you sir!

What about updates from 3DR for Solo/controller? any possible problems? & Do you think that 3DR would cancel repair ticket if different WIFI card shows up?

Thanks
It is likely

Yes... my guess is that if there is a problem, depending on the problem, they could use the fact that you changed a component to void your warranty.

Remember, even improper static electricity handling issues could cause a failure in time (ESD issues).

Don't do this if you are worried about your warranty.

Yes... my guess is that if there is a problem, depending on the problem, they could use the fact that you changed a component to void your warranty.

Remember, even improper static electricity handling issues could cause a failure in time (ESD issues).

Don't do this if you are worried about your warranty.
Or you could change it back, sans the hot glue of course :)

what is the difference in actual power between this new card, and solo's original card? (Just curious)

Also,

would there be any benefit to only change out the one in the transmitter?

If the new card uses more power it must be drawing more power right? so the battery life in the solo must be reduced some, or is the new card just more efficient?

Without a lot of measurements, I don't know if anyone is sure of the specs of the original card.

Perhaps the new card is more efficient for receive or transmit? Or it has more output power and/or a more sensitive receiver? Who knows?

I think it would be important to change both cards (in the Controller and in the Solo) as they both must transmit and both must hear each other.

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
Without a lot of measurements, I don't know if anyone is sure of the specs of the original card.

Perhaps the new card is more efficient for receive or transmit? Or it has more output power and/or a more sensitive receiver? Who knows?

I think it would be important to change both cards (in the Controller and in the Solo) as they both must transmit and both must hear each other.

I read the stock card at 126mw (21dBm) in a laptop running Ubuntu 15.04. From information I've researched I believe the MikroTik cards are operating at 500mw (27dBm) although I'm not positive.

Last edited:

Rich, I've just posted in the original wifi card upgrade thread my increases with only upgrading the wifi card in the controller and using a single Alpha patch with one of the stock antennas. A more moderate approach with significant range increases. When I first flew near this area without antenna or wifi card upgrades, I was lucky to make it much past 1000ft and got disruptive RTHs.

Adding link as requested:
http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/wifi-card-upgrade-testing.510/page-4

Last edited:
what is the difference in actual power between this new card, and solo's original card? (Just curious)

Also,

would there be any benefit to only change out the one in the transmitter?

If the new card uses more power it must be drawing more power right? so the battery life in the solo must be reduced some, or is the new card just more efficient?
The stock card does not have specs or numbers available to look up.
Changing just the transmitter would be ok but not as effective as both.
I doubt the new card will shorten flight time by any noticeable amount.
If the stock card is say a 200mw card then that makes a difference of 600mw.
0.6W isn't squat.

Rich, I've just posted in the original wifi card upgrade thread my increases with only upgrading the wifi card in the controller and using a single Alpha patch with one of the stock antennas. A more moderate approach with significant range increases. When I first flew near this area without antenna or wifi card upgrades, I was lucky to make it much past 1000ft and got disruptive RTHs.
Could you post a link in here to the original thread?
Might be good for those researching this mod who havent seen it yet.

Were you really getting 3000 feet with stock Wifi and Antenna?

I'm not even getting that with either of the directionals I tried.

I got 4000 ft with fpvlr antenna...just ordered these cards. Will try transmitter only for a while and see how it goes.

Don't need no warranty anyway.

Reactions: Jubalr
Were you really getting 3000 feet with stock Wifi and Antenna?

I'm not even getting that with either of the directionals I tried.
I'm in central Kansas where interference, trees and land curvature are at a minimum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000