Why would I want fisheye - for profit?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have two 3Drs with GP4 Blacks, and I plan to upgrade at least one with a PEAU 3.97 lens and software upgrade. I am not a professional videographer, but why would I want to have fisheye if I were a videographer?

Thank you

OK, so far fish-eye is just a novelty as far as I can tell. I just cannot find value in the fisheye lens for the 3DR solo other than a wide angle.

fish eyes are for fish. my personal opinion, i don't want it and don't need it. I have never had a production where we needed it, in fact if we used it it would have been embarrassing for our needs a production. when last did you see a gopro look on any famous artist. ? just saying. imagine these images with a fish eye? NOPE
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I use a gopro to set up shots and story board sequences ...for example. even if you use the footage...correct it

Last edited:
I guess it is a marketing thing ... I plan to upgrade both of my GoPros with Peau lenses and have the software upgraded.

fish eyes are for fish. my personal opinion, i don't want it and don't need it. I have never had a production where we needed it, in fact if we used it it would have been embarrassing for our needs a production. when last did you see a gopro look on any famous artist. ? just saying. imagine these images with a fish eye? NOPE
It is used all the time in multi million dollar professional tv and movie productions. It has it's time and place like anything else. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean nobody else does.

Reactions: DJMc and MrDuino
sure...I must have missed that in this big production.
so just because you like it doesn't mean that every one else should like it. same to you. unless you think you filming in outerrr space with your drone = then i will be sure to call you for some art direction.

Last edited:
I guess it is a marketing thing ... I plan to upgrade both of my GoPros with Peau lenses and have the software upgraded.
sure if i was marketing flights to mars ..yep a gopro lens good to go. if you use in any commercial venture your client will laugh at you because they want there target market to take them seriously. lets say your client is a heavy weight architect ...they very very fussy how their pride and joy = hard work = building looks. any effort you make to get you levels level and perspective true is worth the effort. gopro is a good cam but they went horribly wrong with the lens

Attachments

• 645c9592e6bb765e1251eac127cf2a4b.jpg
    645c9592e6bb765e1251eac127cf2a4b.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I have put this quick clip together to highlight the issue of filming with a fish eye lens = it highlights the stupidity of it

So not everyone can afford a good rectilinear lens so then compensate and watch your camera angles .

This image is used in some sequences in a well know blockbuster move with the camera panning in the shot and elements composited. so its application extends to fish eye and the horizon issue

Last edited:
You're looking for clips of fisheye used only in a manner that doesn't look good, acting as if that is all there is. Therefore concluding that nobody should use it for anything, and that nobody would use it for anything. This is a logical fallacy. You're drawing a conclusion first, which conveniently matches your limited personal opinion. Then going to specifically look for evidence that only supports your conclusions, totally ignoring anything and everything else. That's the same logic that keeps Alex Jones and other looney toons in business, and fuels basically all political hatred in the world. This is also the same flawed, illogical methodology you use while you're trying to claim the earth is flat, and that the earth does not orbit around the sun in outer space. For those unfamiliar: A drone question not for sensitive people.. So I think you may have a credibility issue when it comes to these matters.

Anyway, I think you should look at more than just what you want to see. It could greatly expand your horizons when to photography, videography, gravity, etc.

sure. show me how a camera can see a curve horizon then turn 90 degrees and see the same curve in the lens . or how a drone can fly east and west say 5 km each way if you are moving east at over 1600 km and the drone covers the same distance and speed east or west. anyway i know a fool when I see one and you feel the same about me. lets leave it at that because to argue with a fool in itself is stupid not so..so lets leave it at that. have a nice day Pedals2paddels.

Google is your friend. There are many articles about the benefits of the fisheye lens here: https://www.google.com/search?q=benefits+of+fisheye+lens
Solowetc.

What he said ^^^ is a good read and should answer your question, I think. It's a pretty creative tool.

I don't use a macro lense for landscapes....doesn't mean I never use a macro lense.

TBH a couple of those videos in your first link (post #6) would look quite cool with a little fish eye.

Firmware v5.0 linear mode does a resonable job or post processing, or a Peau.

All equally viable, in different ways for different reason I'd say.

Last edited:
Awww no. I wish I'd seen that link (ty P2P [emoji6]) before I got involved....

So it goodnight from me, my linear friend.

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
Awww no. I wish I'd seen that link (ty P2P [emoji6]) before I got involved....

So it goodnight from me, my linear friend.
strange you couldn't answer the simple question = how can the camera see a curve in front of it and turn 90 degrees left or right and still see the same curve in front of it? or how can a drone fly 5 km east or west and return to its same position if the controller is also moving 1600 km east. the distance speed and time cannot be the same for both even if you say the drone moved 1600 m east with the earth spin in both cases = time distance displacement cannot be the same for the drone in both cases the same. so you say you not involved but yet comment and make yourself involved = how that obvious fact escape you? where i come from we call that hypocrisy.

so why not challenge me publicly? simple. put your experience and talent to good use...you going to win right easy debate.. what you got to lose except your pride an dignity? so..man up and except or wimp away like a coward. i can grantee over 100 000 views. you going to come out looking like a star. going to do your ego a boost...so come on.../ whats it going to be? on my side I am going to do it anyway whether you accept or not. thousands of drone users will have this debate...each being allowed to draw their own conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40