Whats a good alternative for cardboard for the GPS mod?

Reaction score
Hi, Ive been looking around here to find an answer but no luck so I thought I'd just ask.

Anyways, I finally decided to open up my Solo's GPS to place a cardboard in between the board and the copper foil. I tried it last night and I am not sure if I saw any improvements... I think it actually made it worst...

the first boot took me so long that I was forced to restart my Solo. After restart it did get me 5 sats fairly quickly which was about the same right before I did the mod. Another problem is that I was only getting 9 sats while flying.

Before the mod the highest I've gotten was 12sats.

Now I am not sure if the cardboard I used was too thick but I dont think my mod is helping me right now.

if you know any alternative for cardboard(material wise) I would like to know. I checked the shield that 3DR used to sell and they cost a lot... $30 USD on eBay?

The cardboard does nothing unless there was a physical problem between the shield and GPS, which is rare. It does nothing to improve the GPS performance. Buy the 3DR v2 shield. It actually works.

Reactions: Joe Horn
My second bird wasn't quite as good as the first. I tried the GPS mod before purchasing the updated shield.

I used a small piece of foam, and a static shielding bag that a new hard drive was packaged in.

I flattened out the copper foil, and applied it to the bag material. I trimmed it out with a sharp blade leaving the flaps exposed. Cut a small piece of foam, and set it on the big chip. Sandwiched everything together...

It has the separation, and a bit of a dome effect that others have mentioned in past threads.

Locks on 12 to 13 satellites very quickly, and hovers with precision whether it's 2 feet or 400 feet off the ground. I'm very pleased with the improvement..

Attachments

• Shielding-1.jpg
    Shielding-1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40