What the best non-gopro camera and gimbal for the Solo 3dr?

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a Solo 3dr but it doesn't have a camera or gimbal and its costing $300.00 so I'm really looking for a cheap camera and gimbal until I can upgrade in a couple of months.all help and advice is most appreciated. Hunter

Hunter'
I like the Vemico. Around 50 bucks. I will fit in the Solo mount with some Mods. Cant control it with the 3DR Transmitter.
Bill

Reactions: Hunter
Hunter'
I like the Vemico. Around 50 bucks. I will fit in the Solo mount with some Mods. Cant control it with the 3DR Transmitter.
Bill
How about the mount and would I have to download software for the Vemico?

I was also told by a gentle man yesterday that you no longer have to register a drone if its hobby/ recreational and under 55 pounds. He said the FAA lost that case.can you tell me if this is true. I live in N.M. so I don't know if he was talking nationwide or just state by state. As I'm new to the drone community I would like to find out.thank you. Hunter

Yes Hunter, that's true you no longer have the register your drone in the USA.

Yes Hunter, that's true you no longer have the register your drone in the USA.
Thank very much for that info.as I'm on a fixed income (s.s.) I was worried about that. Also I have a promark vr drone and it sometimes seems like the transmitter ( controller) loses all signal.I put new batteries in it when ever I get it out to fly. Is this problem common with the promark drones? What would you advise, keep it and hope it works like it should it return it to the store I got it at.$149.00 at Walmart. Thanks again,Hunter

I'd return it. By the way any cheap sport camera that will fit the mount and has a hdmi out, will give you live feed and you can also video. Just plug in the solo cable to it.

Reactions: Hunter
I'd return it. By the way any cheap sport camera that will fit the mount and has a hdmi out, will give you live feed and you can also video. Just plug in the solo cable to it.
What inexpensive drone would you advise me to get? I know I can not afford a expensive one until I get my check.one in the one hundred to one fifty price range is all I can afford right now.as I'm just learning how to operate one I need One that's durable. I have had the skyviper drones and just didn't like them plus it seemed to take forever to charge up and only had a 5-7 min. flight time.not enough time to learn about how to fly a drone. Hunter

HUNTER;
No software'
The only gimbel that works 100% with Solo is 3dr solo gimbel. The camers that work are 3 blaCK, all 4s, dont know about 5s.
Try anything else is like Strapping a camera on the Solo, turn it on and let the Solo transport it while it films. U have no control of the camea or the non-Solo Gimbel.
Bill

What inexpensive drone would you advise me to get? I know I can not afford a expensive one until I get my check.one in the one hundred to one fifty price range is all I can afford right now.as I'm just learning how to operate one I need One that's durable. I have had the skyviper drones and just didn't like them plus it seemed to take forever to charge up and only had a 5-7 min. flight time.not enough time to learn about how to fly a drone. Hunter
Check out the Syma X8C on Amazon. That's what I used to train on. Video isn't great but I took the camera off anyway. You will need to buy extra batteries as the flight time is around 8-10 minutes and the charge time is pretty long.

Hunter - You are asking a lot!!! . Cheap drones have small batterys . Average time for 3.7 v LiPro battery to charge is 45 Min. and flight time is around 5-6 min. the m\AH of the battery determines the flight time. Battery price depends on size. Big is more.No cheap drone is durable.
A good starter drone is the Hubsan x502e. Has Gps and about $85. Has fpv camera but no card. X502s - same but has card. videos are not very good,the drone is prone to breakage, so u need spar parts. And it is not good in any wind.
Of course you know the best buy is the 3dr solo. tough, easy to fly and cheap for a pro drone -- u get a 1800 dollar drone for 2 to 3 hundred. save you money up. you will be glade.
Bill

I'm purchasing a Solo 3dr but it doesn't have a camera or gimbal and its costing $300.00 so I'm really looking for a cheap camera and gimbal until I can upgrade in a couple of months.all help and advice is most appreciated. Hunter
I use a Firefly 7s with the Solo gimbal. The ports are identical to the Gopro. It shoots 4k although I use 2.7 or 1080p. You can find it online for about $65. It will mount on the solo gimbal with a couple of minor modifications. You need to put a spacer behind the camera and use a velcro strap to hold it in place. You can control the gimbal but you have to start the camera recording before you fly because you do not have camera control. I found a solo gimbal on eBay for $55. Here is a link to one of my videos.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've always found that trying to go cheaper when it's a difference of a few hundred dollars on a gimbal /camera isn't worth the effort . You often end up spending more time and money trying to reinvent the wheel when you could have gotten the totally refined system . I just bought a backup 3dr gimbal for only 69$ 2 weeks ago . Look around on eBay it's not worth trying to pinch pennies on something like this in my opinion .

Hunter - You are asking a lot!!! . Cheap drones have small batterys . Average time for 3.7 v LiPro battery to charge is 45 Min. and flight time is around 5-6 min. the m\AH of the battery determines the flight time. Battery price depends on size. Big is more.No cheap drone is durable.
A good starter drone is the Hubsan x502e. Has Gps and about $85. Has fpv camera but no card. X502s - same but has card. videos are not very good,the drone is prone to breakage, so u need spar parts. And it is not good in any wind.
Of course you know the best buy is the 3dr solo. tough, easy to fly and cheap for a pro drone -- u get a 1800 dollar drone for 2 to 3 hundred. save you money up. you will be glade.
Bill

JJRC H31 is a very durable, and water resistant and is only about $30. There is no camera on it, but if you're just learning to fly it's a good one. The batteries for it are not expensive either, pack of five for like $20 or something like that and it comes with a five battery charger. Learn to fly a quadcopter that doesn't have GPS, Altitude hold etc. because when those systems fail on something like a 3dr solo it's good to have the skills to know what to do when you put it in manual mode... but that's just my opinion.

JJRC H31
Amazon.com: Goolsky JJRC H31 Waterproof Drone With Headless Mode 2.4G 4CH 6-Axis Gyro One Key Return 360° Rolling RC Quadcopter: Toys & Games

6 Batteries and Charger
Amazon.com: Digital-kingdom 3.7V 600mAh 25C Lipo Battery 6Pcs And 1pcs X6 Charger for JJRC H31 H37 H6D Hubsan X4 FPV H107C H107D H107L H107P H108 JXD392 JXD388 JXD385 UDI U816A RC Quadcopter: Toys & Games

Last edited:
Reactions: jerryn
I use a Firefly 7s with the Solo gimbal. The ports are identical to the Gopro. It shoots 4k although I use 2.7 or 1080p. You can find it online for about $65. It will mount on the solo gimbal with a couple of minor modifications. You need to put a spacer behind the camera and use a velcro strap to hold it in place. You can control the gimbal but you have to start the camera recording before you fly because you do not have camera control. I found a solo gimbal on eBay for $55. Here is a link to one of my videos.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've gone with the Git2 and had similar results. The Gopro 4 black uses a Ambarella A9 chipset, the new Firefly 8s uses the Ambarella A12 <-- I've got a firefly 8s on order. There is no other solution other than the 3DR Gimbal at this time. You might get a storm32 working but not to the full extent of the 3dr gimbal. Attached are two STL files tht print out a gimbal adapter and a counter balance to use Firefly / Git2 camera in your Solo gimbal.

Attachments

• 3drsolo-gimbalAdapter.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I've always found that trying to go cheaper when it's a difference of a few hundred dollars on a gimbal /camera isn't worth the effort . You often end up spending more time and money trying to reinvent the wheel when you could have gotten the totally refined system . I just bought a backup 3dr gimbal for only 69$ 2 weeks ago . Look around on eBay it's not worth trying to pinch pennies on something like this in my opinion .
I got mine for $35.00, it was a great deal and they only had a limited quantity, it looks like $65.00 is the cheapest now, but if you look around you could probably get it cheaper, but for the 3DR Solo drone the gimbal is all that.

AS far as the 3DR Solo I got mine on Ebay for $229.00, it was a Best Buy return and it was like brand new, box and everything. All the items you get with a new drone were there, it was a Rev A GPS, but I bought the mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N and haven't regretted that decision, I get between 16 and 20 Sats in about 30secs. As far as antenna replacement I went with two Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional antennas for $9.95 each, I've gone as far as 1.5 miles with excellent signal, I wouldn't normally go that far, but I was over the river and was able to keep sight of the drone the whole time, I have lots of trees and hills to deal with, so I needed to boost my signal without having to try and keep direct line of sight with the antenna and this boosted the gain to 9db for less $.

I got the gimbal for $49.95 at B&H Photo online, Unbelieveable... Forget that I just looked and now their $199.99... Crooks...lol.

I've gone with the Git2 and had similar results. The Gopro 4 black uses a Ambarella A9 chipset, the new Firefly 8s uses the Ambarella A12 <-- I've got a firefly 8s on order. There is no other solution other than the 3DR Gimbal at this time. You might get a storm32 working but not to the full extent of the 3dr gimbal. Attached are two STL files tht print out a gimbal adapter and a counter balance to use Firefly / Git2 camera in your Solo gimbal.

Did you get firefly 8s? by look at the picture, look like the hdmi port and usb is NOT match with gopro (or firefly 7S)
HawKeye Firefly 8S 4K Sports Camera No Distortion Version 90 DEGREE LENS-$153.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

upload_2017-8-18_17-8-28.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela