What every hobbyist needs to know about UAS. It's the last 50'

Reaction score
Here a clip from a nice article in the UAS mag. For all to read. I'm not denouncing the hobbyist but merely trying to pass information as education so we can all be a part of the solution.

As Parimal Kopardekar lists the five basic principles guiding the development of a traffic management system that will handle the millions of unmanned aircraft expected to be in U.S. skies in the next few years, the problem doesn’t appear complex.

First, he says drones shouldn’t collide with each other. Second, they must keep a safe distance from manned aircraft. Third, their pilots should be aware of the rules governing the airspace in which they’re operating. Fourth, unmanned aerial system (UAS) operations must defer to public safety. Finally, there must be a way to positively identify every drone.

NASA’s UAS traffic management (UTM) program, the highway in the sky where everyone from hobbyists to commercial UAS operators must find a way to safely coexist, as well as helicopters and crop dusters that routinely fly in the airspace below 500 feet.

he goes onto say.
“If you’re going to do deliveries all the way to the doorstep—what we characterize as the last 50 feet problem—then you need software and hardware that collectively works together when all of a sudden there’s wind, a fallen tree branch or kids playing soccer,” he explains. “You want that onboard capability that decides whether to land, abort or go somewhere else. These are the key technology pieces we need. Plus, we need a better prediction of weather and wind at lower altitudes in airspace.”

Here a link to the full article
UAS Magazine – The Latest News on Unmanned Aerial Systems - Bringing UAS Traffic Management Down To Earth

Reactions: HawkEyeProductions
"Millions of unmanned aircraft."
Really? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration- at least I hope it is.o_O

"Millions of unmanned aircraft."
Really? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration- at least I hope it is.o_O
I don't understand why that's exaggerated. 800k are projected to be sold around the holidays of 2015. That's just 200k shy of the 1st million.

The article gives the impression that they will all be airborne at the same time- it would look like a scene from "The Jetsons"!

I am a little puzzled by the post title... the hobbyist doesn't need to concern themselves with deliveries, commercial operators do. The Amazon future drone claims to have all those safety features and more, being self aware of it's surroundings in the air and on the ground. Also, the number of UAV's sold include tiny toys with 100' or less range. In fact I would wager the majority of those numbers are tiny toys.
I imagine sooner or later though, there will be pizzas and many other retail items buzzing above our heads along with law enforcement and probably even nanny drones for our kids. Welcome to the world of the future!

Reactions: dirkclod and Maddog
I am a little puzzled by the post title... the hobbyist doesn't need to concern themselves with deliveries, commercial operators do. The Amazon future drone claims to have all those safety features and more, being self aware of it's surroundings in the air and on the ground. Also, the number of UAV's sold include tiny toys with 100' or less range. In fact I would wager the majority of those numbers are tiny toys.
I imagine sooner or later though, there will be pizzas and many other retail items buzzing above our heads along with law enforcement and probably even nanny drones for our kids. Welcome to the world of the future!
Good point about the short-range toys. I hadn't thought about that.

The title was my feeble attempt to get a hobbyist to become more aware of the complex NAS picture. Along the same thought a drone operator needs to think of themselves as pilots. I differ about the hobbyist need to be concerned.Those that don't feel they need to be concerned about the encroaching NAS into their back yard will be left with little area to play. This is big money tech coming at us fast. The commerce and $s will have the biggest affect of whom can fly and where at. We have some years to enjoy our freedoms. The more we educate ourselves as pilots of UAS the more influences we can have on the outcome.

When we see the nanny and pizza drones we will have the millions, toys or not.

The title was my feeble attempt to get a hobbyist to become more aware of the complex NAS picture. Along the same thought a drone operator needs to think of themselves as pilots. I differ about the hobbyist need to be concerned.Those that don't feel they need to be concerned about the encroaching NAS into their back yard will be left with little area to play. This is big money tech coming at us fast. The commerce and $s will have the biggest affect of whom can fly and where at. We have some years to enjoy our freedoms. The more we educate ourselves as pilots of UAS the more influences we can have on the outcome.

When we see the nanny and pizza drones we will have the millions, toys or not.
Boy, you're just full of good news aren't you! Lol :)

well, I enjoy the future as it creates tremendous possibilities of learning. So to me it is good news. lol

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso